file Currently playing

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Now you're talking Rick, how were the cannons?????
Happy Listening, God Bless,
Wayne

The cannons,the bells, everything at the end, it's all just amazing. The cannon firing moves around, just explodes at you (hold onto your hat!)... I can't believe speakers can produce that awesome sound!

Highly recommended.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Thursday evening, listening to Joshua Redman Quartet /Moodswing (1994) -- Headin' Home

This one is a Sizzler...Redman busts his Chops on this cut.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
OK Kids, this is essential listening for anybody who wants to get to know a little bit about classical music. I am giving you a BEST OF
here!!!!!
A SPECIAL must for Americans!!!!!
When Neil Armstrong went to the Moon, he took along music by Dvořák (pronounced da vor sjak) his Symphony #9 "From the New World". Antonin D was a musical visitor from Czech, heck he was Bohemian. When he came to America he fell in love with the place and the music and stayed and became the Director of the National Conservatory of Music. He reckoned that native american music and black spirituals held elements needing to be heard in music for everyone, that this was great stuff. He incorporated their music into this, his most famous Symphony and it became one of the most famous of all classical symphonies EVER!!!!
You can hear this wonderful symphony any and every where. But here is a real treat and a great way to get introduced to it and classical music: The last concert Claudio Abbado (one of the greatest conductors EVER) with the Berlin Philharmonic (one of the greatest symphony orchestras EVER) was recorded on HD picture and sound and is now on Blu-ray and it is AWESOME!!!!!!!
PQ is a bit early HD, so it is not the best I ever saw, but plenty good. SQ is by way of DTS-HD MA 5.1 and is nearly perfect, there is a LOT of dynamic range here, as there should be in well recorded classical music, so you will need to turn it up to hear the quietest parts, and then when the orchestra hits a big crescendo, WOW, oh baby you will hear it and test your speakers!!!!!!
I have to cheer this disc, IF you think classical music is boring, listen to this one, it is NOT!!!!!!
The Largo movement is so delicious sounding that theme has inspired other songs, even albums including one of my favorite pieces of Americana, "Largo" with Taj Mahal and Cindy Lauper, many others.
This blu-ray is classical music living large! It starts out with Beethoven's "Egmont Overture" because it is a huge favorite and you will love it, recognize it's beautiful melody. Then there is a Brahms' Violin Concerto with a wonderful young soloist (Gil Shaham) playing his heart out, sweat dripping off him on his violin, great stuff. Then the New World and for an encore Abbado and orchestra play the Verdi Overture "Les Vepres Siciliennes".
IF you stayed with me this long, I included a pic of the signed title page of the New World Symphony, a pic of A. D. he looks like Jack Daniels to me.
Get this Blu ray and if you are not yet into classical but wonder what it is all about, this disc can start you on a wonderful journey of discovery, one which I have just barely scratched the surface myself.
Happy watching and listening, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Wayne, if you love that Brahms/Dvorak DVD that much, that's enough for me to order it, which I did. More on how it sounds for me when get it in a day or so.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Late morning romp...Groove 55/Voyage (2012) -- Secret Weapon.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey Rick,
I can't wait to hear how you like it.
I have been listening to a few top notch classical blu-rays lately, some might even be better music, what do I know?
BUT this concert is accessible. You don't have to love classical music to enjoy this concert.
Claudio Abbado (the great Italian director, may he rest in peace) is the pinnacle of COOL, he is understated and so smooth with the music, which, BTW, he knows all by heart!!!! His interpretations are considered some of the best ever in Classical music history. BUT he is never over the top or trying to draw attention to himself. Meaning, there are other, newer directors who are perhaps more FUN to watch, but none more intelligent than Abbado.
My only quibble with the disc is that the concert is performed in the Palermo Opera House, Palermo, Italy which is awesome and the acoustics are great, it is totally classical itself. BUT here we are listening to the wonders of the NEW WORLD (America) and the cameraman is showing the ceiling of the opera house, about as different a thing--the old world, as can be. Doesn't affect the music though.
Let me know, please. IF you don't like it, I can handle that as well, I am a big boy.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back