• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Hey Fred

Great recommendations from Moderator Dude and Anthem on amps. Yes amps make a difference.

I’ve been reading about your Sunfire amp. 400 wpc, even described as tube like. I haven’t heard that amp so can’t comment on how it sounds driving Goldenear speakers vs the great amps recommended.I love my 5 channel ATi amp also.

Having upgraditis myself off and on, I guess my recommendation would be, if you want to test the waters with a different amp driving some of your speakers to take some load off the Sunfire, it would be a good thing to do so on a home trial basis where you could return it/them if you’re not satisfied there is a SQ uptick.

Happy listening! Have fun!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
fred1942 Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Hi Rick, interesting you have an ATI. I spent the day reading about Parasound and ATI. Which model of ATI do you have? How does it compare to other amps you’ve heard. Any experience with Parasound?

Fred

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

fred1942 wrote: Hi Rick, interesting you have an ATI. I spent the day reading about Parasound and ATI. Which model of ATI do you have? How does it compare to other amps you’ve heard. Any experience with Parasound?

Fred

Hi, Fred

I have an AT525 NC five channel amp feeding the fronts, center and surrounds from the Marantz receiver. The four height channels are powered by the receiver's internal amps. Plus a separate Parasound v.2 stereo amp for the zone 2 ceiling speakers. I read about the then fairly new AT 5x5 NC amps in a 3/21/17 "Sound and Vision" review by David Vaughn. He was impressed enough to purchase the review amps and replace the Parasound Halo's as his reference amps. That's just one review and reviewer's listening preference. But pretty heady company to be comparing the ATi's to Parasound's Halo series, which I still consider excellent amps. Probably would have gotten a Parsound Halo A51 except I was looking for a cooler running Class D amp, and the ATi's use the Hypex NCore technology, which is really smooth and clean. No doubt I would have been happy with the Halo also if I could keep it cooled enough in my limited rack space.

Lots of great amps out there that can make GEt's shine. Charlie loves his Bel Canto's. Wayne loves his Vincent hybrid tube amps. Anthem loves his whole stable of amps including his McIntosh. I love my ATi, and loved the NAD before that. Lots of folks use Emotiva's, including Anthem. I think a lot depends on personal listening preference.

I guess I don't know what your Sunfire sounds like, and how it slots SQ wise vs. other amp options. It gets some pretty good reviews that I've read, with what sounds like pretty good power reserves. Anything in particular SQ wise you'd like to notch up some? If you're looking to give some additional oomph/dynamics to the fronts by taking some of the workload off the Sunfire, either a three channel or even 2 monoblocks might give you the kick you want.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

I recently got a Johnny Hartman SACD and did not get the richness of his voice or the instruments that I expected. Have noticed this with some other instrumentals. The Sunfires are great for movies but a little dull for finer stuff.

Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

fred1942 wrote: I recently got a Johnny Hartman SACD and did not get the richness of his voice or the instruments that I expected. Have noticed this with some other instrumentals. The Sunfires are great for movies but a little dull for finer stuff.

Fred

I haven’t heard that SACD. Some recordings are duds, even SACD’s and Blu-rays. GIGO with GEt’s. They play what’s there, good or bad, no coloration. But if you’re hearing that same dullness across lots of recordings, it sure isn’t your top of the line Marantz pre or the GEt speakers as the likely culprits.

You loved the Eagles concert SQ. Maybe the Sunfire is a little too laid back for some recordings???

Would be nice if your dealer had a floor demo of an amp you’re interested in to lend you for a home demo. My dealer was good that way.

None of the amps recommended to you are too laid back. Just good, dynamic sound.

Keep at it!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Always appreciate your comments Rick. I am starting to lean towards ATI, the 523, 543, or 4003. The 4003 is a class AB amp whereas the 500 series are class D.
Have read some reports that class AB amps may be better in the treble range than the class D’s. Not specifically the ATI brand but just in general.
Have you noticed anything like this with your 525? What are your pros and cons?
Will try to find a local dealer so I can have a listen.

Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks What amps are you using?