• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Hey Fred

Any decisions on adding a streamer to your system?

So many options with streaming 16 bit or hi res stuff.. huge library, streamers offer tailored suggestions to your genre preferences, even playlists and stations offering the same.

Hope you find a device that works for you. I’m loving the access to the whole world of music options and artists!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ForKyleigh's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
ForKyleigh Posted 4 years 3 months ago
I know this hasn't been replied to in a while but I figured that I would add in case it helps anyone. I have been using tidal on a desktop computer into an ifi nano black dac. I think it was $200 on amazon. So it isn't high end by any means. But it does decode MQA files. So I can stream MQA from Tidal. They do sound great!

To answer the amp question which is how this thread started... I have Trefs pushed by Emotiva Xpr-2. I had an Anthem A2 prior. I like the Emotiva better and I have loads of head room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, ForKyleigh

Re amps, I agree with Moderator Dude, Tritons sound best when they can dig deep below 8 ohms, at least double at 4 ohms, as my ATi does. Guess I'll never quite get why the powered Tritons especially, with such impressive amps to carry the bass load, still love such external amp support, but they surely do.

Re feeding Tidal to MQA and non MQA DAC's, either work in my case as long as I set the Bluesound feeds to my GT HT to unfold for the Marantz's non MQA external DAC's, or I can feed MQA direct from Tidal to my headphones via the MQA capable Dragonfly Cobalt DAC/amp as well.

So far, can't discern a big difference between Tidal's MQA 24 bit hi res, or Amazon's Ultra FLAC 24 bit hi res as played to either my MQA or FLAC capable Dragonfly fed headphones, or the non MQA Marantz DAC feeding the Goldenears. Hi res sounds great in either case. I guess I'm a bigger fan of hi res than trying to judge between MQA and FlAC versions of same. I'll take either over 16 bit. The nuance, the dynamics, even the added clarity, well, I'm hooked. Just starting to play more with 360 stuff, 3D.

Yes, some forms of audio are moving into the next generation.....

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

rjohn79395 wrote: Hi, ForKyleigh

Re amps, I agree with Moderator Dude, Tritons sound best when they can dig deep below 8 ohms, at least double at 4 ohms, as my ATi does. Guess I'll never quite get why the powered Tritons especially, with such impressive amps to carry the bass load, still love such external amp support, but they surely do.

Happy listening!

Rick

My guess is because there's a bit of low impedance in the midrange and amps with good grunt at 4 ohms and/or lower aren't fazed by it so they do better at bringing the speakers to life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• kellyken's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 1
kellyken Posted 4 years 1 month ago
As for me, I used Qobuz before. But recently I switched to Tidal. Comparing to Tidal and Qobuz , I prefer to Tidal now as it provides high audio quality. With Tidal, I can enjoy the music with better listening experience. But for Tidal, there is one thing that should be noted. That is it won't allow users to use Tidal music on other devices.
Thus, for this issue, I found a tool that can rip the limitation from Tidal. It is the Best Streamer for Tidal , which can convert Tidal to plain audio formats and then you can use the music by your own on other devices.

• fillysun's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 1
fillysun Posted 3 years 11 months ago
I am a Tidal subscriber. As Tidal has limitation for using its music, I used the Tidal Playlist Converter to help me get Tidal music offline for my own using. It can keep the original audio quality after converting. Love it!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks What amps are you using?