file What amps are you using?

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fred1942 Posted 4 years 8 months ago
I would like some advice for a 3 channel amp.
My system: GE Triton One.R fronts, Reference center, SS50 surrounds, Triton Two rear surrounds, HTR 7000’s in ceiling for atmos, Marantz 8802a, Oppo 103, and two Sunfire 7201 to power my 13.2 system.
I have a bad case of upgraditis and now considering adding a 3 channel amp to run my fronts and center to take some load off my Sunfires with end result of improving SQ for fronts.
I have read reports that all amps sound the same regardless of $$$. I’m not convinced this is true and believe a good 3 channel amp will make an improvement.
Please give me some recommendations.

Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

fred1942 wrote: I would like some advice for a 3 channel amp.
My system: GE Triton One.R fronts, Reference center, SS50 surrounds, Triton Two rear surrounds, HTR 7000’s in ceiling for atmos, Marantz 8802a, Oppo 103, and two Sunfire 7201 to power my 13.2 system.
I have a bad case of upgraditis and now considering adding a 3 channel amp to run my fronts and center to take some load off my Sunfires with end result of improving SQ for fronts.
I have read reports that all amps sound the same regardless of $$$. I’m not convinced this is true and believe a good 3 channel amp will make an improvement.
Please give me some recommendations.

Fred

There are probably many good three channel amps out there. One that comes to mind right away for me is the Parasound Halo A31. Have never heard that specific model, but the Parasound Halo amps I have heard are all excellent.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Fred:
Your assumption is correct, all amps do not sound the same. If money isn't an issue, take a look at the McIntosh MC303 3 channel...beautiful! Or how about something a little more down to earth? Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 (3 channel/300 watts) or the Emotiva XPA-DR3 (450 watts). And something new to their lineup is the XPA HC-1 Monoblock (300 watts) it also has a very small footprint (8-3/8 × 7-5/8 ×19). The XPA HC-1 is an amp I'm considering for a Christmas present to myself.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 8 months ago

anthem wrote: Fred:
Your assumption is correct, all amps do not sound the same. If money isn't an issue, take a look at the McIntosh MC303 3 channel...beautiful! Or how about something a little more down to earth? Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 (3 channel/300 watts) or the Emotiva XPA-DR3 (450 watts). And something new to their lineup is the XPA HC-1 Monoblock (300 watts) it also has a very small footprint (8-3/8 × 7-5/8 ×19). The XPA HC-1 is an amp I'm considering for a Christmas present to myself.

Excellent suggestions!

Would love to have the McIntosh, but——-$$$$. The price of a new car. Looked at Emotiva. Any thoughts on Emotiva vs Parasound?

Fred

Hmmm, 3 mono blocks is interesting. I could even lift them by myself.

Fred

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks What amps are you using?