file What amps are you using?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 8 months ago
I think the advent of the newer Class D technologies, like ICE and especially Hypex NCore, have put to rest SQ issues with Class D. Lots of good amps now use the NCore technology, including the NAD top of the line Master series amps, which I also have heard and considered as a multi channel amp.

Treble is amazing with the ATi. I auditioned the T Ref fronts I got as driven by a PrimaLuna tube amp (which I also love). I was a little on edge when I then got the T Ref’s home and connected to the brand new ATi amp. Would I miss the sweet sound of the PrimaLuna? I was SO relieved when I fired everything up and I literally couldn’t tell the difference! If still sounded so sweet, rich.

So, my experience, having heard lots of amps driving Goldenear speakers, is that Class D amps with NCore technology play with the “big boys”.

There’s not a bad choice among the amps recommended to you. If you can, audition some and see which best fits your listening preferences.

Have fun! This is a hobby!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Oh, and if you audition amps at the dealer, bring some music you really love, and that SACD that sounded so Blah, and see if the amp you’re auditioning gives it some pizazz or whether it really is a dud. :)
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Corey's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
Corey Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Corey. Reason: Signature appeared twice info_outline
I bought the Parasound Halo A31 last year to power my L/R Triton Reference and SuperCenter Reference (which replaced my SuperCenter XXL). I have been very satisfied with the improved performance over using my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 serving as both a pre-amp and amplifier for my speakers. There is an increase in richness and clarity. Parasound just came out with the A21+, so since the A31 is also several years old, it is possible that they will be doing the same with the A31 and A51.
Spkr (GoldenEar): (L/R) Triton Reference; (C) SuperCenter Reference; (LS/RS) SuperSat 50;
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040; Amp: (LCR): Parasound Halo A31; Blu-Ray (4K): Oppo UDP-203;
TV: Sony xbr75z9d; Sony xbr65z9d RCA Interconnects: BetterCables Silver Serpent
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
fred1942 Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Installed my new ATI 527 last Friday. Have had a few days to listen to various music. Big difference over my previous amp. I have it powering my fronts and surrounds with my Sunfire powering the heights.

Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTNUT1975

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

fred1942 wrote: Installed my new ATI 527 last Friday. Have had a few days to listen to various music. Big difference over my previous amp. I have it powering my fronts and surrounds with my Sunfire powering the heights.

Fred

Hey Fred

Glad you’re enjoying your new amp!!

Tell us more about differences vs your Sunfire as you listen and break in the amp. ATi suggests a full week 24/7 for break in, not sure they need that much time.

Did your dull SACD improve? And how about Blu rays like the Eagles that already sounded pretty good? With my ATi, dynamics across the board are explosive when they should be.

Enjoy!!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• fred1942's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 57
fred1942 Posted 4 years 8 months ago
I immediately noticed the Johnny Hartman SACD that we thought might be a dud cleared up and sounded natural. Guitars on the Eagles concert are more distinct. Whole concert became very dynamic with a deeper soundstage. Really like this ATI amp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks What amps are you using?