• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Moderator wrote:

rjohn79395 wrote: My prior hobby of fast/neat cars is on the back burner.

Rick, fast cars??? What took you so long to fess up? Sandy is a car guy (so is the Moderator Dude)... Do I sense a new topic coming on?

Or not - but thanks for the comments on listening to your GoldenEar system vs. driving ... although I'm going to keep enjoying both!!

A new thread??? "Fun with cars also"?? :cheer:

I'd be for that. My very first car was an old Chevy coupe with a Corvette 6 stuffed in, got a brand new'68 Chevelle SS396 after getting out of colllege, which I proceeded to further "soup up" (my brother had a Corvette, my cousin had a series of Chevy's with souped up engines, friends had Impala's with 409 engines. Yeah we were motor heads). The last "fast car" I had was an '87 Buick Grand National with turbocharged V6 that I bought new and proceeded to modify with an aftermarket engine module chip that added 40 HP, etc. Kept that "toy" close to 20 years....it still looked brand new.

About the time my wife was saying, "Maybe you ought to get another "fast/sporty car!" , I discovered GEt speakers. I've been telling folks who ask about what neat car I have now, "This HT system IS my new sporty car". Though I still like to upgrade audio systems in cars.

Aw, gee, this is bringing back memories....So, who's having fun with cars?

Happy driving!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Ah, big American Iron classics... The Grand National was one of those cars I coveted along the way, especially the GNX versions. I'm guessing yours was black? (Were they all black?)

So, anybody else want to play?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

Moderator wrote: Ah, big American Iron classics... The Grand National was one of those cars I coveted along the way, especially the GNX versions. I'm guessing yours was black? (Were they all black?)

So, anybody else want to play?

Yes, all Buick Grand Nationals were black. The engine module chip I put in (Kenne Bell), gave the engine the GNX settings, with higher turbo boost, richer fuel injector settings, more aggressive spark advance curves (all the things we used to do with carb and distributor kits and stuff like that), plus quicker downshifts, higher rev's for transmission settings. It really seemed to say "let's PLAY". It was a fun car to drive!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Yes, all Buick Grand Nationals were black. The engine module chip I put in (Kenne Bell), gave the engine the GNX settings, with higher turbo boost, richer fuel injector settings, more aggressive spark advance curves (all the things we used to do with carb and distributor kits and stuff like that), plus quicker downshifts, higher rev's for transmission settings. It really seemed to say "let's PLAY". It was a fun car to drive!!!

Rick

Very cool. Sounds like a blast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Oh, boys and their toys! Rick, I'm really jealous! I would love a Chevelle SS!! If I were going to go out and drop some money on a classic American Muscle Car, that would be it!

The first car I ever purchased was a 1969.5 Camaro. I would have preferred a year or two earlier, but at 19, options are limited. I had that car for a number of years and even rebuilt an engine for it. It was a lot of fun to drive!

I have to say that I wish I did not enjoy (love) automobiles. They are extremely expensive and depreciate so quickly. I would love it if I could drive a POS everyday and not care one way or the other. I guess it's true, Americans do have a love affair with the automobile.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, T

Yeah the Chevelle SS was a blast. I still get jealous when I see a pristine one driving around. The big block V8's were STRONG, hard pullers. 9 MPG with hi test was just fine with cheap gas back when. B). You wouldn't regret getting one to tinker with.. just don't plan on driving LOTS of low cost miles!!!! :)

Re Camaro's, my cousin, who I mentioned earlier, and who has acquired or built barn size storage/work areas for his "automotive toys" wherever he's lived, got and totally rehabbed a '69 white Camarro convertible, dropped in a 400 cu. in. small block V8, and that rascal could move!!! (Couldn't quite catch my Buick GN).

Ah, this is FUN! Thanks, Moderator Dude, for suggesting this thread and opening the gates!

Uh, oh!!!! I'm feeling the auto vibes!!!!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back