file Anthem AVM 60

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Thanks, Melvin! It's good to have a comparison to the competition, even if it is a generation older. It would still be interesting to do a side by side with the new 8802A just to hear the differences. I wouldn't switch, but I'm curious.

I believe I'm having some handshake issues with my DIRECTV box and my AVM 60. I occasionally loose my center channel audio after fast forwarding programming and signal drop when I switch programming. Pausing and resuming programming resumes audio. To fix the signal loss, I need to switch inputs and back again. I've been in contact with Anthem to see if we can identify the issue for possible resolution. I haven't had any HDMI handshake issues with my Oppo or PS4.

I've now had the AVM 60 a few weeks. The sound seems to have opened up and become even more clear. As Melvin said, the surround sound is very well integrated and very cohesive. I will likely order my last pair of Aon 3s next week to complete my GET surround setup. I suspect that will make things even better. I did add a 2 meter Pangea cable and have it plugged into its own outlet. Then it will be time to start saving for height channel integration.

One of the biggest changes due to ARC is the taming of low frequencies. ARC really flattened out the peaks in LFE, correcting my room issues. It is a lot less boomy and very well behaved. I think some others have perceived this as loosing bass but when LFE is present on familiar content, it comes through loud and clear with plenty of punch.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: filmfan214, Melvin Boule

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Melvin Boule's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 20
Melvin Boule Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Completely agree with T. Cobe on the bass improvement. The loss of bass is the initial perception until you listen to something more familiar to you. That was my initial thoughts until I got used to the sound of the Anthem. Then you realize or if you go back to a different prepro that the bass was actually bloated or peaky at certain frequencies.

A little disheartening to hear about the handshake issue. My D2's main handshake issue was with an Xbox 360. When the audio signal would switch from stereo to surround the sound would drop out. The solution was to switch inputs back and forth. It was odd that it wouldn't do it with the Dish network receiver or the PS3. I haven't run into that issue with the AVM 60 so far....keeping my fingers crossed. Typing this out listening to some 90's rock that I haven't listened to in years is awesome.
Basement:
-Anthem AVM 60, Anthem P2 and Emotiva MPS-1
-5.1.4 GE Triton 1's, SuperCenter XXL, Invisia MPX, Polk LSi In-ceiling for Atmos/DTS-X, JTR Captivator S1
-Oppo UDP-203, Xbox One, PS4 and PC, -Sony VWVPL600ES, Vizio M65
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 6 months ago
The bass is definitely a significant improvement over my past AVR. I can't say how it stacks up against everything else out there that I haven't tried. I've also done some AB testing and definitely prefer to cuttoff EQ at 500 Hz instead of 5000 Hz.

I've experienced some handshake "issues" as well. For example if i'm listening to music and go upstairs and my Apple TV goes to sleep, when I wake it up, no amount of button pushing or coaching will make the Anthem re-sync the signal. I have to switch inputs and back to get it to sync up.

I had a slightly different bizarre issue last night. I went from a full off position to trying to watch TV. When everything came on, the Anthem was in input 2 but it was outputing input 1. I double checked multiple times. It was on the right input but the output was wrong. Changing to input 3 fixed the issue. I might send them an email.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago

imahawki wrote: I've experienced some handshake "issues" as well.

HDMI is the devil's playground. These problems will never completely go away. If you find stuff that all works together and you never ever change a piece again, then and only then will you be free of the HDMI "you can't watch, listen, or both, until I say so" guard dog. I've seen systems that worked perfectly until the TV, with newer HDMI, was updated, and then no other component worked properly thereafter. Seen the same thing with cable box changes. Funny how analog worked perfectly ... and the cables even stayed plugged in!

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
Yeah, I know. And the whole thing is stupid. I can go to Pirate Bay, Torrent Freak, Kickass Torrents, etc. etc. or stick a blu-ray in my computer and launch Make MKV. What is the damn freak-out over the cable we use to connect a player or a cable box? No one is stealing content that way.

I don't think the HDMI issue is Anthem's fault, but I do think outputing the wrong input is a bug.

• Melvin Boule's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 20
Melvin Boule Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Anyone have issues with the ARC software not finding the AVM 60 on the network? I ran ARC a month ago and just recently added some Invisia MPX's for surrounds and my in-ceiling speakers became Atmos speakers. I also removed my 2 SB13-Ultra's and added at JTR Captivator S1. So with all those changes, I need to run ARC to get things sounding better again. When I try to run ARC, it can't find the AVM 60.

I have my AVM 60 wired to the network along with my PC. I also have a laptop that connects wirelessly. I tried to run ARC on both computers and it keeps saying there is no device on the network. If I go to the network settings the AVM60 and mic are both listed. I am totally stumped. I was hoping to get this all calibrated for movie night, but I think that is going to put on hold. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Basement:
-Anthem AVM 60, Anthem P2 and Emotiva MPS-1
-5.1.4 GE Triton 1's, SuperCenter XXL, Invisia MPX, Polk LSi In-ceiling for Atmos/DTS-X, JTR Captivator S1
-Oppo UDP-203, Xbox One, PS4 and PC, -Sony VWVPL600ES, Vizio M65

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back