file Anthem AVM 60

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
My dealer told me the same and it was there in about 5, including the weekend. I'm sure it will depend on how soon they sent the order to Anthem. They seemed to process the order very quickly.

Interesting results with music this morning. While my 2-channel setup is definitely more transparent, I like the ARC applied to stereo playback through the AVM 60. At this point it's pretty close between the two and it may be a matter of preference as to which is better. The DAC in the AVM 60 is very good; way better than I remember the Integra. Until I get acoustic treatments in place, I may play my CDs more on the Anthem. Playback is a bit more civilized.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I recently e-mailed Anthem regarding an expected release date for their DTS:X firmware and they responded that since they are using a new quad core DSP, it is taking them a bit longer to work out the coding than products utilizing older chips. They anticipate a Summer release by the time the coding has been completed and vetted. I appreciate the utilization of new technology and the proper QC for a stable roll out.

Additionally, I asked about any pending professional reviews and they also indicated these were in the works. It sounded like the products were already in the hands of the reviewers but they could not give a timeline on a release as it varies by reviewer and publication. Their rep indicated he was confident the reviews would be positive; I have to agree. I continue to be impressed by the sound quality of this processor. I'm listening to programming this morning at -50 and it's still very intelligible.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 6 months ago
I got mine hooked up today. Its quite a different beast than the Onkyo. The menus are downright spartan (not in the look and feel per se but in the lack of options). That's OK, one of me beefs with Onkyo and others is there are so many settings and you can change them for every listening mode and some of them seem to conflict etc.

I got Arc up and running. If you just want to run it and apply it, its not much more difficult than Audyssey except that you need a windows PC. But what you're getting is a much better mic and more powerful processing power since you're using your PC to calculate the corrections.

I haven't had enough of a chance to really listen yet but a couple things were odd. It suggested setting the crossover on my Triton Ones to 100 Hz. This was especially odd since the accompanying graphs confirm plenty of output below 100 Hz. I overrode that and for now am running the Tritons full range with the subs set to yes. I need more time with some movie content when people aren't trying to sleep to make a better evaluation.

My only beef at this point (which may just be getting used to something new) is there is not a way to access a direct, no processing mode. You have to open the setup menu and turn ARC off and switch to a profile withe sub off. Unless I'm missing something.

More to come. I am listening to some music and ARC really seems to have done a great job with the bass without screwing up everything else. Very likely (IMO) because I set the max EQ freq. to 500 Hz so nothing above that is being touched by ARC.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Imahawki,

The AVM 60 tried to set my T1s to 250 Hz due to speaker boundary interference response. I'm getting some significant dips between 100 and 300 Hz depending on placement. In some cases, it's up to 15 dB.

Set up is definitely much simpler. There are far fewer options and less to mess up, IMO. The adjustability of setting the crossover frequencies in ARC and being able to see the response curves puts it leaps and bounds ahead of Audessey for me.

Even at low volume, I noticed a significant increase in the amount of detail. I was struck by this in the first scene of Mission Impossible Rogue Nation when I could hear the wind rustling the grass and it continued from there. I was also struck by how much it cleans up the center channel vocals. The previous bass bloat I had experienced with my Integra was all but eliminated. I look forward to hearing how you find the sound as time progresses.

Cheers,

T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

imahawki wrote: My only beef at this point (which may just be getting used to something new) is there is not a way to access a direct, no processing mode. You have to open the setup menu and turn ARC off and switch to a profile withe sub off. Unless I'm missing something.

Imahawki,

You can change the listening mode preset for stereo source in the input setup menu. There are several options but selecting "none" should be similar to pure direct or direct mode as I understand it. Anthem Logic-Music would apply ARC. It's by input so it's probably not so easy to switch on the fly. I'm going to hook up my Oppo via RCA cables to Iput 6 and re-label it as CD player to test this out.

I hope your getting things tuned in and are liking your new processor.

Cheers,

T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

imahawki wrote: My only beef at this point (which may just be getting used to something new) is there is not a way to access a direct, no processing mode. You have to open the setup menu and turn ARC off and switch to a profile withe sub off. Unless I'm missing something.

Unless something has changed, ARC on or off is assigned by input. Which means you can setup two inputs with exactly the same configuration except ARC on or off. Selecting back and forth between inputs will instantly switch ARC on and off and change nothing else. You could then set one of the inputs to one of two audio configurations too (one with sub, one without, I presume).

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back