file Anthem AVM 60

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Unfortunately no, I didn't get a demo. Hi-Fi is struggling everywhere. I live in Omaha and am lucky to have two good Hi-Fi dealers in town. One is the dealer I bought the GEts from and they're the authorized Anthem dealer. The other is a lot higher end. A lot more 6 figure gear. My dealer carries a lot of brands that they aren't really able to stock unfortunately. Apparently they used to have one of the PREVIOUS generation AVRs on display but have none of the current generation in stock let alone on display. The owner actually asked if they could come over and hear my setup after I get the Anthem hooked up. So I'm flying a little blind. However, the dealer gave me a deal on both the GEts and Anthem so I'm not going to complain too much.

I will say while the guys that work at the store are very very very nice, I think all of their setups are WAY WAY WAY too bass heavy. One of their rooms has at GEt Atmos setup T1 fronts, SCXXL, T2 rears, and some of the in-ceiling/in-walls for the rest to complete a 7.4.4 setup. I'm sure it blows a lot of people away but they have the bass turned up to ridiculous levels. Its a good thing I ended up liking the Tritons because frankly I didn't get a proper demo in the store. I had them turn down the gain on the powered section twice and it was still too high. In case you doubt my ears, I set my Triton 1s by ear and months later when I measured them with Room EQ Wizard and a calibrated microphone, mine were +-5dB across the crossover region. I have a hump at 30hz from room modes but the crossover is around 100hz meaning I have the gain set dead on by ear. I'd guess there's are 7-10dB too high.

Any way I rambled. No I didn't get to hear it or see the menu setups or anything but I've heard nothing but good things. If I hate it, I'll return it. And I'm actually very willing to have the owner and his head sales guy over after I get things set up. I think it will be fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Imahawki,

Too bad they didn't have it set up. That's a pretty big leap of faith! I definitely look forward to hearing your impressions. I think it will sound great with your Sunfire amp. I am still very pleased with my decision. Most of the user reviews have been positive regarding the sound but there are a few glitches people have been complaining about with getting ARC to run and their remotes to operate fully. I have had a few HDMI issues but a quick cycle of the power button sorted each out.

I continue to be impressed by the sound and ARC software. the Aons measured really flat despite being wall mounted which seems to support my belief that they are extremely flexible and forgiving of positioning. My T1s are not so forgiving on the measured response but still sound great, regardless.

Connection and initial setup was smooth. The menus are quite a bit different than my Integra, which is probably similar to your Onkyo. Between a dealer demo and reading the instruction manual prior to receiving the unit, it was pretty easy to navigate and set up. It is relatively light weight and runs pretty cool. The manual calls for a lot of clearance for heat dissipation but I don't think it's necessary. The build quality is good and the front panel is growing on me. Good luck with your setup. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Imahawki,

Too bad they didn't have it set up. That's a pretty big leap of faith! I definitely look forward to hearing your impressions. I think it will sound great with your Sunfire amp. I am still very pleased with my decision. Most of the user reviews have been positive regarding the sound but there are a few glitches people have been complaining about with getting ARC to run and their remotes to operate fully. I have had a few HDMI issues but a quick cycle of the power button sorted each out.

I continue to be impressed by the sound and ARC software. the Aons measured really flat despite being wall mounted which seems to support my belief that they are extremely flexible and forgiving of positioning. My T1s are not so forgiving on the measured response but still sound great, regardless.

Connection and initial setup was smooth. The menus are quite a bit different than my Integra, which is probably similar to your Onkyo. Between a dealer demo and reading the instruction manual prior to receiving the unit, it was pretty easy to navigate and set up. It is relatively light weight and runs pretty cool. The manual calls for a lot of clearance for heat dissipation but I don't think it's necessary. The build quality is good and the front panel is growing on me. Good luck with your setup. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Cheers,

T Cobe

I've now spent over $13,000 at this dealer over a number of years (but most of that very recently). While by no stretch am I even close to his biggest customer I'm quite confident he'd let me return it if I ended up hating it.

I'm sure there are some heat generating components inside but it shouldn't produce a LOT of heat, there are no amps in it. My rack is fairly open so I'm not worried.

I'm sure I'll like it though. There is nothing but good word of mouth from what I've seen. While it didn't cause any real issues when my whole system was lower end, I've come to hate my Onkyo. The Sunfire amp made a great difference but frankly it just increased my desire to replace the Onkyo. I still have a laundry list unfortunately. I almost ordered room treatments first but decided to go with the pre/pro. I'd still like to get room treatments and a new front end. I've gone 100% away from physical media so I need a streamer. Currently I'm using an AppleTV but I'm sure I could do better.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Imahawki,

My dealer has made a similar amount of money from me as well and I have a pretty good relationship with them. They definitely have my loyalty. They changed out their setup to a GET setup just for my audition.

I felt the same way about my Integra as you do about your outgoing Onkyo. I'm extremely pleased with the difference. I got Rick of a lot of pops and HDMI issues. I think my HDMI board on my Integre generated a lot of heat or was directly over an extremely hot component! The sound is clearly better as well but it was not as big a jump as it was from my previous speakers to the T1s. The firmware update was pretty easy as well. You can download everything from Anthem's website now.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Imahawki,

Any updates on the arrival of your AVM 60. I would have guessed it would be there by now. Mine only took a few days to arrive at my dealer. Keep us posted, please. I'm sure you'll be busy when it comes in but I'm really looking forward to your impressions.

Cheers,

T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
imahawki Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Well, I called my dealer last Thursday afternoon. I don't know if he orders the unit through a system/website from the ditrubutor or what. So maybe the distributor shipped the unit Friday. Sunday it didn't move so you have pickup Friday. One day of transit Saturday, Monday, and yesterday. I'd say today would be the earliest I'll get the call. The dealer said a week.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back