file No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 11 months ago

Moderator wrote:

murphyslaw1978 wrote: There are thousands of systems with Triton Ones and Twos without additional subs, perhaps a few of those system owners would like to weigh in on this topic.

Well, I can just flip the switch to turn my subs off and re-test my in-room response with the triton two at full range easily enough. I don't have graphs handy, but I would be willing to do these tests. The trouble is, though, every room is different, which is why people like the close mic response. For subs that have multiple drivers, multiple ports, or multiple radiators, ground-plane tests are not going to give the best indication of bass in the room. I agree there. It's a bit like putting your car on a dyno, which may not have much to do with how fast it is around a racetrack (Hellcat). One thing is true, though - if a driver has a close-mic dB response that is, say 90dB, and another has one that is 80dB, it's likely that the 90dB one will outperform the other. Given the tritons multiple drivers, multiple radiators, and that people use them in a pair, means bass will most certainly be higher than any comparable single subwoofer of equal specs. But then you get into placement, which is why you sometimes see folks running multiple pairs of tritons plus FF subs in the same room.

I guess the moral of the story is that those who can't get enough bass can almost never have enough bass even when they add more and more subs. Like horsepower and money, there is never too much :)

7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 11 months ago

imahawki wrote: I don't consider myself a basshead for music at all. For movies I like low and clear but I don't listen to movies at reference levels any way and I don't jack my LFE level above what my AVR sets after measuring. I'm typically at -15 to -20 on my AVR which if the calibration routine is at all correct is relative to reference level.

One of the reasons I considered going up to the T1 is the hope that they'll be more than enough for music and "good enough" to be a bridge until I acquire home theater subs. Not for more volume but to get down below 20Hz.

It appears GET quotes bass extension as -10dB in room. This is a far cry from the -3dB quasi-anechoic that many manufacturers use. The T1s only go to about 26Hz if you use that measurement method. I'm sure they hit 20Hz in room due to room gain but probably not flat. So if you want that bass you can feel in your intestines, you might need subs any way.

Based on the volume that you listen to, you may be able to EQ to get 16-20Hz in room response. If 20Hz is -10, just dropping the volume by 10dB gets you there, and you would add another -6-10 to keep your headroom. Again, my issue with the bass section of the Tritons is only above a certain dB. My lowly pair of Circuit City Velodynes from the 1990s are giving me 100dB at 16Hz, and over 110 from 32-70Hz, where the tritons take off and handle 100dB above 80Hz.

If I were to drop the average volume to 75dB, the Tritons by themselves would give me pretty flat 20-20,000Hz and allow for 10dB peaks. I will have to run my REW measurements to confirm this, but I remember running these tests before, which is why I decided to crossover the tritons at 80Hz instead of full range like I had before.

One ither thing - I did not notice any difference between full range and LFE on the Triton twos for music. But for movies, there was a big difference on some tracks, because some mixes at the studios run all bass through LFE, which others choose to run LFE plus front mains. One example that stands out is Live Die Repeat. They do not run bass through the front main even in full range (large) mode.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Well, I'll be honest to get it out of the way first, I didn't spend much time listening to surround sound. I heard a Dolby Atmos demo of these guys that go around doing adventure type of stuff like dropping out of a helicopters and snowboarding. It was pretty damn intense and sounded very good. This room has the T1 for L/R, SCXXL for center, T2 for surrounds, and Invisia speakers for ceiling. Now that I think back I'm not sure if it was 7.4.4 or 5.4.4. It sounded very good and was very enveloping.

Now to music. The T1s do sound really good and I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger. My only issue is the room was set up really poorly. The owner of the store admitted as much. The T1s are WAY too close to the front corners. They're only about a foot from the side walls and front wall. They have a thin acoustic panel propped up in each corner and some side-wall treatments but its not great. I also think they had the bass turned up too much. Midway through my nearly two hour demo I had them turn it down but it still overwhelmed the room at times (and not in a good way).

I'm sure they'd sound better in my room (my current speakers are asymmetrically placed unfortunately relative to the side walls but both are around 30" out from the front wall and one is maybe 18" from the side wall and the other is over two feet). But its hard to demo a speaker under conditions you know are less than ideal and make a purchase decision. I guess if they sound good and you KNOW they'll sound even better in your room you should feel pretty confident.

We couldn't agree on a price so we're both kind of sleeping on it over the weekend.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

imahawki wrote: Well, I'll be honest to get it out of the way first, I didn't spend much time listening to surround sound. I heard a Dolby Atmos demo of these guys that go around doing adventure type of stuff like dropping out of a helicopters and snowboarding. It was pretty damn intense and sounded very good. This room has the T1 for L/R, SCXXL for center, T2 for surrounds, and Invisia speakers for ceiling. Now that I think back I'm not sure if it was 7.4.4 or 5.4.4. It sounded very good and was very enveloping.

Now to music. The T1s do sound really good and I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger. My only issue is the room was set up really poorly. The owner of the store admitted as much. The T1s are WAY too close to the front corners. They're only about a foot from the side walls and front wall. They have a thin acoustic panel propped up in each corner and some side-wall treatments but its not great. I also think they had the bass turned up too much. Midway through my nearly two hour demo I had them turn it down but it still overwhelmed the room at times (and not in a good way).

I'm sure they'd sound better in my room (my current speakers are asymmetrically placed unfortunately relative to the side walls but both are around 30" out from the front wall and one is maybe 18" from the side wall and the other is over two feet). But its hard to demo a speaker under conditions you know are less than ideal and make a purchase decision. I guess if they sound good and you KNOW they'll sound even better in your room you should feel pretty confident.

We couldn't agree on a price so we're both kind of sleeping on it over the weekend.

Hi, imahawki

Thanks for the report!

The ATMOS set-up you listened to is about what I will have in place in a day or so. I will have one pair of Invisa height speakers plus T1's, T2's as surrounds, a SCXXL, with the height channel just aboveof and in back of the prime listening position. Set-ups similar to that have gotten great reviews at the CES show that GEt demoed them at (see Sandy's comments under Support/ATMOS Systems on this web site). I think using two height channels is more common than one. I'm going with one, at least for now.

I agree that it sounds like they didn't have it set up properly yet. Re the bass, it's very controllable via sub gain settings on the receiver/pre-amp, and the controls on the Triton towers also.

I'll be listening to ATMOS in a day or so, I hope. I'll let you know my impressions also.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
I pulled the trigger on Triton 1, SCXXL, and 2pr Aon 2 today. The dealer doesn't have the T1 and one pair of Aon 2 in stock but ordered them today. He said I will likely have everything by week end if all goes well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago

imahawki wrote: I pulled the trigger on Triton 1, SCXXL, and 2pr Aon 2 today. The dealer doesn't have the T1 and one pair of Aon 2 in stock but ordered them today. He said I will likely have everything by week end if all goes well.

Congrats, imahawki!

You are about to get an AWESOME system!The T1's and SCXXL just SING together, and the Aon's will do a great job however you set them up. Great choices! The GEt speakers just go together so perfectly.

Happy listening, and please let us know how it all sounds when you get it installed.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2