• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote:

imahawki wrote:

Moderator wrote:

imahawki wrote: With that note, the only other thing I could envision is doing Invisa surrounds since the wiring comes out of my ceiling already for my surrounds. I'm a little skeptical of the FR specs though.

In what way are you skeptical?

The claimed 25-27Hz low end frequency extension seems to defy physics given the woofer size. I'd be impressed if they went below 80Hz. That can't possibly be the -3dB point is it? Maybe I'm wrong. If they really can produce some bass, they may be a better option for surrounds than the Aons. When I had my Gallos, I that the Gallo Ti balls that don't really go below 125hz and I always thought the sound was thin. That was why I was shying away from the smaller SuperSats and looking at Aons. Given my room configuration, in-ceiling speakers would work extremely well.

Hi, imahawki

I don't have experience with AON's. so I can't help you there.

Several observations:

Re T1's, I agree completely with Wayne, if your budget allows, get them. Get the the best fronts you can, and T1's are certainly the best! You'll be keeping them and enjoying them for a long time.

Re INVISA's, for an option with your ceiling wiring, these are NOT wimpy speakers. I'll let the Moderator Dude address frequency range (it has something to do with placement in the "boxes" between ceiling or wall studs). But what I can tell you is that they play well and richly well below the 125 HZ you used on your Gallos. I have two pair of INVISA 525's ceiling mounted, one pair of which is about to become a ATMOS height channel. I have played them with as low a crossover as 40 HZ, just to see how they handled it.They did just fine, no distortion, just rich sound. I have them at 80 HZ now, mainly for headroom reasons. But thin is not a description I would ever use to describe how they sound. They blend right in tonally with the "big boys" in the fronts and surrounds, even at 80 HZ crossover. I can only imagine how good the new models, like the HTR 7000 would sound. I have never felt that the INVISA's were a weak link in my system. All the GEt speakers blend together beautifully.

Good luck with your decision process!

Rick

Great info, Rick! All this talk has me excited to install the HTR-7000s in my theater. Hopefully early next year...
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Sorry for the late response, but I had to weigh in here. I bought the triton twos hoping I could ditch my two velodyne subs. I never could do that. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade my current subs to move powerful ones. There are two reason besides me being a bass head. First, the triton twos are full range but not at 110dB in my room. An S&V test showed dB in the high 80's in the bass section. Secondly, your room will have more to do with your bass than just about anything, and you can only position your speakers in so many ways since they are front mains. A subwoofer can be put into a corner or behind the couch to achieve the room response that you may desire. Would the tritons have enough bass for most people? I would think so. However, if you were not happy with at least one dedicated sub and you looked at PSA, then I suspect you might be a bass head.

I would consider splitting the difference and going with a Triton Five and adding a powerful sub. Or at least demo both options
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi Murphyslaw,
Now there is a bass head talking!!!!!
I agree on the T2s, I have a FF5 with them and still do not have deep enough bass.
Murphyslaw, did you audition the Triton Ones? Do they have enough bass for you, without a sub?
I would love to hear the answer to that from someone like you who obviously is a REAL bass head like me.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Alright, I don't listen to my programming at 110 dB, but I do listen loud on occasion: probably in the 90 to 100 dB range. In my room, which is quite large and dampened, I get plenty of bass from my T1s. I'm calibrated 5 dB over reference and have my subs set at -8.5 dB. On music and movies, stereo and LFE inputs, these buggers can rock.

While I prefer my bass balanced in music, I love the extra kick of powerful LFE in movies. I do prefer my setup with my extra Paradigm sub and have it pointed directly at the back of my couch. I think an additional sub for better dispersion behind the PLP is a welcome addition to any home theater but it's not "needed". I do plan to replace my Paradigm with another sub at some point. I want something that dips down below 20 Hz with authority. These, of course, are just my opinions and I don't listen as loud as some.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
I don't consider myself a basshead for music at all. For movies I like low and clear but I don't listen to movies at reference levels any way and I don't jack my LFE level above what my AVR sets after measuring. I'm typically at -15 to -20 on my AVR which if the calibration routine is at all correct is relative to reference level.

One of the reasons I considered going up to the T1 is the hope that they'll be more than enough for music and "good enough" to be a bridge until I acquire home theater subs. Not for more volume but to get down below 20Hz.

It appears GET quotes bass extension as -10dB in room. This is a far cry from the -3dB quasi-anechoic that many manufacturers use. The T1s only go to about 26Hz if you use that measurement method. I'm sure they hit 20Hz in room due to room gain but probably not flat. So if you want that bass you can feel in your intestines, you might need subs any way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 11 months ago

murphyslaw1978 wrote: An S&V test showed dB in the high 80's in the bass section.

That measurement was fabricated based on a summary of mic measurements of the multiple active and passive drivers. That doesn't work. Beyond this, room response is what's important if you plan on listening to the speakers in a room. Different speakers interact differently in a given room, so comparing anechoic measurements has no real world meaning.

There are thousands of systems with Triton Ones and Twos without additional subs, perhaps a few of those system owners would like to weigh in on this topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2