file No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Imahawki,

The T2s, SCXL, and Aon2s will make an excellent system! If that's the limit of your budget and you have no flexibility, stop there and enjoy. It will sound fantastic!!! The only thing I will add is that if you have not done so already, do not audition the T1.

If you have some flexibility in your budget and would be able to purchase the T1 with a little extra time and savings, as I did, do yourself a favor and audition the T1s. I listened to both and I REALLY wanted to buy the T2s right away because they sounded SO good; however, once I listened to the T1s, it was all over. I purchased the SCXL and a pair of Aon3s right away and started saving for the T1s. Once I was finally able to purchase my T1s and get them set up in my system, it proved to be worth the wait. I could not be happier with my decision.

Take comfort in the fact that you will be able to save money by not purchasing subwoofers unless you want to add them later as a benefit to dispersion. The money you would spend on two PSA subs could be put into your towers and that would nearly cover the upgrade.

These are just my opinions based on my experience. Again, the T2s, SCXL, and Aons will sound fantastic! I doubt you would have any regrets with that setup...unless you listen to the Triton Ones.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
OK, I'm getting closer to making a decision. I still need to spend a little more time listening but assuming I don't hear anything else I like better I'm probably going to move on upgrading my Klipsch Reference set up to GoldenEar.

My room is 19x22x8. It is setup like a Home Theater with tiered seating but one of the front row seats is directly centered for stereo listening.

After further consideration, I think I probably CAN swing the T1s. So I'm going to finalize my "audition" and then likely purchase a pair of T1s, a SCXL (I really want an XXL but will have to see if I can swing that), and two pair of Aon 2s for surrounds.

I heard a 5 SuperSat 3 with ForceField 3 sub setup in a different room at the same dealer and I felt like the sound was thin, like the were no midrange / upper-bass power. Maybe the dealer had the SS3s crossed over too low and the FF was in a cabinet because they had the room set up as a "lifestyle" system so it was far from ideal setup in my opinion. But, it sounded thin and pretty much convinced me I need to go with Aons as surrounds.

I'll be powering this all for now with an Onkyo AVR. In the future I want to upgrade my AVR to something from Marantz and get an amp for the T1s.

I'm really posting this just to get a reality check. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic or has any feedback before I make what will be a major purchase for me, I'd appreciate it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hi Imahawki,
I ABSOLUTELY think you are on the right track!!!!!
I always say Get the best speakers you can, because you will be listening (and enjoying) to them for YEARS!!!!!
Go with the Ones, and I agree totally about the Aons, they are really special speakers!
Suggestion though, why not get only one pair of Aons and put the saved money on the SC XXL? For no more movies than there are right now in 7.1, you can enjoy awesome 5.1 and add the rear surrounds later after saving up for a while. Shoot, you might even decide to go for the ultimate home theater and put T 2s on the sides and move the Aons to the rear. Just dreaming for you!!! ha ha
Whichever way you go, you will surely have a GREAT sounding HT!!!!!
Enjoy, let us know,
Gd Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
Wayne, I've thought about doing the XXL and holding off on the second set of surrounds. I may do it. Depending on how much I get for my Klipsches, it may be a moot point. My room is wired and set up layout wise for surrounds mounted above ear level on the wall so I probably wouldn't be able to do floor standing surrounds ever any way. With that note, the only other thing I could envision is doing Invisa surrounds since the wiring comes out of my ceiling already for my surrounds. I'm a little skeptical of the FR specs though.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 11 months ago

imahawki wrote: I heard a 5 SuperSat 3 with ForceField 3 sub setup in a different room at the same dealer and I felt like the sound was thin, like the were no midrange / upper-bass power. Maybe the dealer had the SS3s crossed over too low and the FF was in a cabinet because they had the room set up as a "lifestyle" system so it was far from ideal setup in my opinion. But, it sounded thin and pretty much convinced me I need to go with Aons as surrounds.

Short answer, bad setup by dealer. Probably easy fix if someone there cared to do so. Also, surround duty is a whole lot different than mains. I would say at least 50% of all GoldenEar theater systems use SuperSat 3's or 50's as surround channel speakers.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Got ya!
OK, forget T 2s as surrounds, but IF you like the SC XXL and have room for it (sadly I don't) that is supposed to be a great match with the Ones up front. To me those front 3 channels are so important!!!! I listen to a lot of classical music on RCA Living Stereo SACDs recorded for those 3 front channels, and even with my lesser system, T 2s and SC X, it still is awesome sounding!!!!
Now I am not saying anything bad about the super sats or invisa (which I have not heard) but the Aons are in a whole nother class than most surround (heck, MOST small) speakers!!!! I think they will sound fantastic.
Go for it, pull the trigger man!!!! ha ha easy to spend other people's money!
God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2