file No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 8 years 11 months ago

imahawki wrote: With that note, the only other thing I could envision is doing Invisa surrounds since the wiring comes out of my ceiling already for my surrounds. I'm a little skeptical of the FR specs though.

In what way are you skeptical?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by imahawki. info_outline

Moderator wrote:

imahawki wrote: With that note, the only other thing I could envision is doing Invisa surrounds since the wiring comes out of my ceiling already for my surrounds. I'm a little skeptical of the FR specs though.

The claimed 25-27Hz low end frequency extension seems to defy physics given the woofer size. I'd be impressed if they went below 80Hz. That can't possibly be the -3dB point is it? Maybe I'm wrong. If they really can produce some bass, they may be a better option for surrounds than the Aons. When I had my Gallos, I that the Gallo Ti balls that don't really go below 125hz and I always thought the sound was thin. That was why I was shying away from the smaller SuperSats and looking at Aons. Given my room configuration, in-ceiling speakers would work extremely well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

imahawki wrote:

Moderator wrote:

The claimed 25-27Hz low end frequency extension seems to defy physics given the woofer size. I'd be impressed if they went below 80Hz. That can't possibly be the -3dB point is it? Maybe I'm wrong. If they really can produce some bass, they may be a better option for surrounds than the Aons. When I had my Gallos, I that the Gallo Ti balls that don't really go below 125hz and I always thought the sound was thin. That was why I was shying away from the smaller SuperSats and looking at Aons. Given my room configuration, in-ceiling speakers would work extremely well.

Hi, imahawki

I don't have experience with AON's. so I can't help you there.

Several observations:

Re T1's, I agree completely with Wayne, if your budget allows, get them. Get the the best fronts you can, and T1's are certainly the best! You'll be keeping them and enjoying them for a long time.

Re INVISA's, for an option with your ceiling wiring, these are NOT wimpy speakers. I'll let the Moderator Dude address frequency range (it has something to do with placement in the "boxes" between ceiling or wall studs). But what I can tell you is that they play well and richly well below the 125 HZ you used on your Gallos. I have two pair of INVISA 525's ceiling mounted, one pair of which is about to become a ATMOS height channel. I have played them with as low a crossover as 40 HZ, just to see how they handled it.They did just fine, no distortion, just rich sound. I have them at 80 HZ now, mainly for headroom reasons. But thin is not a description I would ever use to describe how they sound. They blend right in tonally with the "big boys" in the fronts and surrounds, even at 80 HZ crossover. I can only imagine how good the new models, like the HTR 7000 would sound. I have never felt that the INVISA's were a weak link in my system. All the GEt speakers blend together beautifully.

Good luck with your decision process!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks Rick, right you are, not wimpy at all. As a matter of fact, my MPX Rears are room flat to about 42 Hz in my room, and I know the HTR 7000 will go lower. Of course you are right, again, an 80 Hz crossover to the powered sub(s) is always the right way to use these in-wall and in-ceiling speakers if being used in a home theater setup.

Regarding bass performance, it will depend on cavity size - a full stud bay or a ceiling bay, the typical installation, will allow full range performance, a small box will not. As far as the spec, it is not a -3dB anechoic measurement. Generally, our bass extension number is a -10dB in-room number.

There is nothing to be skeptical about in the GoldenEar line, as you will come to see. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Thanks, I think my fear here goes back to my experience with the Gallo A'Diva Ti (that was the model I had) which were rated to about 80hz, similar to the SuperSat 3 and the setup I heard at the local dealer. Based on experience I have had better luck with surrounds that can go down lower than 80Hz (maybe to 40 or 50Hz). Trust me, I'd love to save $600 and get 4 SuperSat 3s rather than 3 Aon 2s, but I don't think I'd be happy.

The option of the Invisa speakers is compelling since it sounds like it can go lower. My ceiling cavity has scissor joists, so the speaker sees an "infinite" box size on the back side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Imahawki,

There seemed to be some technical issues yesterday and I was unable to sign in. I'm with Wayne, if your going with the T1s and want the SCXXL, it's not a big increase in cost when compared to total cost.

Regarding your the Aons and Invisa line, the Aon 3 and HTR-7000 are said to have the same drivers. That has been my primary reason for using Aon 3s as surrounds and the 7000 in ceiling for Atmos. My Integra receiver sets the crossover frequency for my Aons at 40 Hz. I don't normally keep it there but that tells me they are certainly capable of going down low. That indicates the drivers are certainly capable but I'd be curious to hear the difference the enclosure makes. I guess I'll find out when I install my Atmos speakers.

I share your opinions on lifestyle speakers. If the design sounded the same and there were no compromises being make, all speakers would be lifestyle designs. I'm sure the SuperSats all sound good but the Aons are hard to beat! I had them as my primary left and right speakers while saving for my T1s and they sounded fantastic. As rear surround speakers, they perform very well and I still have the crossover set at 50 Hz.

I think you're definitely on the right track and have gotten some sage advice hear from Moderator Dude and other forum members. I look forward to hearing your listening impressions and what you select as your final solution. GET makes a lot of different model with very similar drivers which makes a theater installation possible in just about every room with excellent tonal coherence. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice No subs for HT temporarily with Triton 2