file UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 7 months ago

lsu123 wrote: Well, I purchased the Triton 2's and they should be here by Friday. The SuperCenter XXL should be here today. As long as the speakers are in as good a shape as advertised (minor blemishes on base and top cap, socks in great shape, and speakers sound great and still have plenty of life) I'm EXTREMELY excited to get them plugged in and start playing. I think the mids and highs will be big upgrades over my smaller B&Ws because of the driver designs, I think the two additional sub units will make a huge difference in my largish-room, and I feel like I almost got the SCXXL for free considering the price break! (I may be justifying things to myself a little bit, please forgive me, lol).

I'll definitely report back sooner than last time on the setup and impressions. I'll include new pictures as well. I've included two here that I took awhile back after mounting the screen in the room and some shelves over the wet bar that I actually just finished the other day.

Any thoughts or advice on setup are obviously appreciated. I'm going to start with the T2s hooked up full range (not using the LFE input) and play around with the receiver crossover settings for them and the center on the lower end (50-60 maybe ?), but I'll obviously spend a lot of time listening, adjusting, moving, etc.

Congrats! You will be happy with the T2s. I would try as many crossover settings as possible, but you will likely end up somewhere around 80Hz as the most likely setting. I tested everything from 40Hz all the way up to 200Hz in 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, and 200 increments while using REW and a microphone to verify that 80hz was the most ideal crossover with my T2 and subs.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
I'm sure I will! One more quick question, do you not use the LFE input on the T2s in your setup? And if you experimented with it, what were your pros or cons? Thanks again!
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Isu123,

If you had 2 monster subs like Murphyslaw, I'd say just use the speaker level inputs; however, you stated you wanted more punch. I'd hook up the Subs on theT2s so that they push out the LFE. I'd also set the speakers to full. That's how I have my T1s after much trial and error and I prefer it this way, hands down.

If you want to use all four subs, you can hook up a splitter to each sub out on your Integra. That should give you some real punch and great dispersion. You might not shake the foundation like Murphyslaw, but it should be great!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

lsu123 wrote: I'm sure I will! One more quick question, do you not use the LFE input on the T2s in your setup? And if you experimented with it, what were your pros or cons? Thanks again!

If you are going to want to watch movies with your Tritons, and expect the bass to come out of the bass section, then I would almost certainly connect the LFE ports. The reason is because some movies do not send bass to the front mains, even if they are set to full range or large if there's an LFE track. It depends on the movie. You can change that if you have an LFE+MAINs setting on your AVR, but I'm not sure how that would work on the Tritons, because the recommendation is to set the crossover on the speaker level inputs if you are going to use the LFE connections (is that right T Cobe?)

If you are going to do music, then it's easier. Just full range without your subs is probably the cleanest experience. But I was never able to enjoy the Tritons without the added subs at high volumes, so I ended up doing an 80Hz crossover and NOT connecting the LFE to anything other than my subs that play from 80Hz on down. And even at lower volumes, I had overlap when I had all the subs working together. But that's likely because I had all 4 subs on the front main wall, so if you move your subs around, you might have a different experience.

All in all, I would experiment to see what sounds best. You could even buy the $100 UMIK-1 microphone and use REW to find the best possible combination.
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, lsu123

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
If you set the main left and right speakers to large or full range and have the sub setting in the Integra to yes (you should be able to set it to dual subs), then I don't believe you get any LFE through the speaker level inputs. As I understand it, the LFE is the .1 channel in the surround sound encoding. What you will get by setting them to full range is all of the sound that was originally mastered to go through that channel and you should not get LFE muddying it up. Bottom line- less processing.

By using the LFE input and having the Integra set to dual subs, you should yield pretty good results. Just make sure you turn off the double bass to start with or I believe you will get LFE mixed into the speaker level I puts as well. I would certainly encourage experimentation but starting with Sandy's Setup Tips is always a great place to begin. I'd call it the baseline and you can go from there.

Keep in mind that the crossover for the T2s is around 120Hz. Everything below that is sent to the subs. If you set your crossover there, everything below 120Hz will get sent through the sub/LFE input. For music, I only use the speaker level inputs but I also have an external sub running for a little added dispersion. The Triton towers put out plenty of bass, but like Murphyslaw, I enjoy a little extra bass.

Murphyslaw, did you ever get your subs painted? How did they turn out? I'd love to see an updated pic of the final product. That was a pretty cool project and I like how the subs blended into your setup as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, lsu123

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: ...Keep in mind that the crossover for the T2s is around 120Hz. Everything below that is sent to the subs...

I thought I read that the crossover on the T2s was a little higher at 150Hz? Regardless, those two 5x9" bass drivers have pretty decent excursion ability, so the limit on those guys will be SPL related to frequency - the louder you expect to play them, the higher the crossover frequency should be to prevent the voice coils from bottoming out at that frequency.

T Cobe wrote: ...Murphyslaw, did you ever get your subs painted?... T Cobe

Not yet, having trouble finding people who can come over to help me. I've searched Craigslist, posted on the forums, etc. But I'll probably end up doing it myself here in the next couple of months.
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room