file UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago

murphyslaw1978 wrote: I thought I read that the crossover on the T2s was a little higher at 150Hz?

Correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks, Moderator Dude and Murphyslaw. I thought I remembered the T1s being crossed over at 100 and the T2s at 120. The memory starts to fade after 40... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 7 months ago

T Cobe wrote: If you set the main left and right speakers to large or full range and have the sub setting in the Integra to yes (you should be able to set it to dual subs), then I don't believe you get any LFE through the speaker level inputs. As I understand it, the LFE is the .1 channel in the surround sound encoding. What you will get by setting them to full range is all of the sound that was originally mastered to go through that channel and you should not get LFE muddying it up. Bottom line- less processing.

By using the LFE input and having the Integra set to dual subs, you should yield pretty good results. Just make sure you turn off the double bass to start with or I believe you will get LFE mixed into the speaker level I puts as well. I would certainly encourage experimentation but starting with Sandy's Setup Tips is always a great place to begin. I'd call it the baseline and you can go from there.

Keep in mind that the crossover for the T2s is around 120Hz. Everything below that is sent to the subs. If you set your crossover there, everything below 120Hz will get sent through the sub/LFE input. For music, I only use the speaker level inputs but I also have an external sub running for a little added dispersion. The Triton towers put out plenty of bass, but like Murphyslaw, I enjoy a little extra bass.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Just adding my two cents worth: When running in an analog mode (such as two-channel stereo), setting the front L/R speakers to full range in your AV receiver will send the entire audio spectrum to the speaker outputs. If you have also connected the receiver's sub-woofer pre-output to your LFE connectors on your Triton 2s, you have the option of also having analog bass signals sent directly to the Triton's LFE inputs. How this feature is set up will depend upon the AV Receiver's capabilities. In my case, I have an Onkyo (Integra receivers are an Onkyo premium brand). for both Onkyo and Integra receivers, there are two options available, depending upon listening mode.

1. If listening in either Direct or Pure Direct modes, with Front L/R speakers set to Full Range, bass can also be simultaneously sent to the sub outs by turning the Direct Analog Sub Woofer setting ON.

2. If listening in any other mode, simultaneous analog bass can be sent to the sub outputs by turning Double Bass ON.

3. With either of these settings turned on, you may alter the frequency range of the bass signals being sent by adjusting the LFE crossover setting in the Receiver.

4. You may also adjust the frequency range of the bass signals being sent to the front speaker outputs by choosing a frequency cutoff setting instead of choosing Full Range.

In my case, I have my Triton Ones set to Full Range and both the Direct Analog Sub Woofer and the Double Bass settings turned ON. Then, I have set the LFE Level controls on my Triton Ones to Minimum and I have reduced the sub woofer output levels in my Onkyo receiver settings to "minus 6 DB". This combination provides pleasing musical, but deep and strong, bass when listening to music and a very acceptable LFE bass level when watching movies with multi-channel sound. When I listen to music, I listen in the Pure Direct Mode, but I could also listen in any other mode available and still enjoy the same bass levels with my setup.

Keep in mind that a true LFE signal ("Low Frequency Effect" signal) is derived from multi-channel digital signal inputs such as Dolby 5.1 Surround typically present in movies. Analog bass is two-channel stereo bass being processed through the receiver from an analog source - either pure analog as from a turntable or from a DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) as found either in a CD player or in the Receiver itself.

I hope these comments help to clarify use of the many different listening options available.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, murphyslaw1978, T Cobe, lsu123

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks a lot, Art. I was thinking of you and your setup when I was posting my preferences. I appreciate you sharing your settings here. To me, that's one of the great strengths of the Triton powered towers, there are so many tuning options. It's nearly impossible to not find the right mix that best serves your equipment, room, and listening preferences.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks everyone for the tips and your ideas. My T2s came in yesterday instead of today so I had a chance to set them up and start experimenting early. While I went back and tried all your tips and input, I basically started out with Art's post and AVR settings to address mid bass. With double bass on I did get more bass and the majority of the time it sounded very good. However, critically listening to some movie scenes that I'm very familiar with I found spots where the high/mid bass was a little muddy/confused. What I'm liking best so far (after admittedly not very much time tweaking) is the fronts set to full range, double bass off, LFE set to 120, and the T2's sub levels right at 12 o'clock. This lacked a bit of lower bass presence that double bass definitely addressed, but when I then setup my SVS in the back of the room that solved that issue and I could go back to double bass off. So what I'm liking about these settings right now is I get that tactile punch from the high base, it sounds very defined, and the the "level" of high/mid/low base all seem to be inline with one another. That is nothing jumps out as too much or loud compared to any other bass region. I'm really surprised I have it set at 120 and obviously may change all of this after a few more hours or listening, who knows.

One other thing I noticed so far is on the toe in...when I had the two speakers crossing right behind the middle of the two primary seating positions I found I could locate the right speaker way too much. This is because I sit on the right side of that middle line that I'm setting up as the primary listening position and so my seating position was lined up almost directly in front of the right speaker and significantly more off axis from the left speaker. To solve it I just toed them out a bit more so that they now cross about 3-4 feet behind our two main seats instead of about a foot or less. I'm sure I'll spend more time on this and may in the end just setup my seat as the primary listening position and just not tell my wife, lol. She won't notice anyway, haha!

I took a couple more pictures as well. Obviously, I need to do some more wire hiding and hang my acoustical panels, but when the lights are off all that goes away, so can live with it for a few days. :)
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by lsu123. info_outline
Thanks for the mic suggestion murphyslaw1978. I've looked at REW before and the only reason I hadn't tried it yet is well partly because of time but then also I hadn't done the research on what hardware to get. I'll be exploring this very soon!
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room