file UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
lsu123 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
T Cobe,

Wow, I have had some HDMI issues with the Integra 20.2 running in the living room, but I chalked it up to the fact that I run it through a 8x HDMI splitter to send the signal out to the patio, bedroom, etc. Good to know. The 50.5 (newer) I run upstairs hasn't really shown those issues, so hopefully they are sorting their problems out?! I have stuck with Integra's for a while mainly because of the custom installer features...for example, I'm a software developer and I wrote my own program to control my AV components as well as some other things. Being able to count on a RS232 port at a minimum, for example, has made Integra consistently attractive over the years. Course, with IP control being fairly standard now it's not as much of a selling point anymore. I used to love Marantz before Integra...are they still nice sounding receivers?

I do plan to move to separates at some point too, I just never get around to making the plunge! I would love to get a set of Triton Ones but I think my wife would pretty much cancel my AV hobby if she ever found out the price, lol! One day I might sneak something "nicer" in, but I have to stay more budget minded for now.

I'm with you on the bass being super distracting when it's off for whatever reason. I don't 100% love my bass right now, but I'm happier than I've ever been at the moment thanks to adding a second sub. It made a really really big difference in the quality; I was surprised how much actually. I'm hoping to do some fine tuning with the bass (placement mainly and possibly bass traps, etc) in the new room and I think I can get it good enough for a while with the equipment I have.

Thanks for the response and the thoughts, I appreciate it!
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Do Marantz sound nice? Yes. I'm drooling over the AV8802. One of my colleagues installed one and said it sounds very good. Check out this review: www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-a...und-processor-review
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Wow, too rich for my blood at the moment, but great looking receiver! And it looks like it's got everything plus the kitchen sink as far as features. You know, I guess I do need to move to Atmos soon... :P
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Isu123,
Let me add a warm welcome and a coupla cents to this already lively discussion.
I think you are on the right track, GoldenEar Tech!!!!
Sounds like a pretty good plan.
Marantz does indeed make some very good sounding gear! I just moved from Marantz to separates using the Emotiva XMC-1, mostly because I wanted better room correction. Audyssey sucks to me, and the XMC-1 has DIRAC which, IMHO, is miles ahead and I believe it will really fix some room issues for me.
The SC XXL sounds promising, PROBABLY it will be some better than their already wonderful SC X and XL. But my home theater is almost as big as yours and I just have the SC X and love it! Playing with Triton 2s up front.
But the T5s sound like a great plan since you already have 2 subs.
Have you listened to the Triton 5s yet? I think they will blow away your B&Ws (No offense), that might make them your first priority.
Whatever you do, whatever you get, congrats on the new home and theater and enjoy the process of building a system over time, saving up, that is all part of the process we (most of us) have been through, and it can be really fun. VERY rewarding.
Enjoy and please report back, God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, lsu123

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Isu123,

I still own and run two Integras. They are great sounding receivers and do,come loaded with features. That's what makes it so disappointing about the HDMI boards. I still have a 20.1 in my living room and a refurbished 70.2 in my theater. I plan to run them for a while yet but they are both exhibiting HDMI issues so I think I'm on narrowed time. I have a Yamaha sitting around for when that happens.

I'm with Murphy in leaning towards the Marantz 8802 as well. It is expensive but you can find a refurbished unit on-line with a factory warranty for $1,000 less than original retail already. Prices on those should continue to go down. I'm in no hurry for now until the format wars settle down. Atmos, DTS-X, etc...

T1s and T5s both sound fantastic. I'm sure you'd be happy with both. Wayne is definitely right, you'll be eager to get rid of these B&W once you start upgrading. The T1s took me a while to purchase due to the sticker shock for my Wife as well. I had to save my discretionary income (allowance) for several months to purchase them. They were worth the wait, but I'm sure you will love the T5s with a pair of well integrated subs.

Please let us know how things progress as you go. I'd really like to hear how you think things sound once installed and see a few pics. Sounds like you're going to have a great room/theater! Happy hunting.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 3 months ago
I am not familiar with "The Dreaded Integra HDMI Issue". However, I own an Onkyo NR 3009 and I am very pleased with the sound quality in the Pure Direct stereo music mode driving my Triton Ones.

I have had the Onkyo receiver for several years. It runs very warm, so I have it sitting on a open and reasonably well ventilated shelf.

Shortly after I purchased the receiver, I encountered a problem. I worked directly with Onkyo and obtained a replacement unit from Onkyo. They paid for shipping and provided return shipping cost coverage.

Over the years, I have obtained good results working directly with manufacturers to resolve problems. I have always used a professional and non-emotional approach, including taking the time to gather facts before I contacted each company.

Excessive heat is a major problem with today's electronics; therefore, proper ventilation is very important - especially for devices which generate a lot of heat.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room