file UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
lsu123 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks MurphysLaw1978, good thoughts. Unfortunately, the store that I'm dealing with is the closet GE dealer and it's about 4 hours away. While that's not terrible, it is difficult to get over there with my schedule. I'm going to call in the morning and ask about a possible in-home demo and return. I'm also going to ask about warranty.

One question that could be a really important decision maker. With my past setups I've never been able to dial in that "hit you in the chest" sound (think more shotgun blast, not so much oil refinery explosion). I get plenty of base with my subs for deep base or big explosions, it rocks fine and rattles teeth, but that shotgun blast punch in the chest has eluded me. If that makes sense, could you describe your feeling about the T2's performance with that? My thinking is that the two integrated subs might just give me that high base punch I've been lacking from running bookshelves and large subs.

Thanks again for the other thoughts. I'm sure I'll be loosing some sleep tonight getting comfortable with spending more money that I planned in one way or another, lol.
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Isu123,

Welcome back! It has been a while. If you have time, it would be great to see some update pictures of your space. I don't think we ever heard what type of subs you have in your setup either.

Anyways, I was just at my local GET dealer for an audition of a new processor and was listening to a system that was comprised of a pair of Triton Twos and a SuperCenter XXL. I think they blended very well together and sounded stellar. Would the Trtion Fives be a better match, maybe but probably not significantly. I think the fact that you can get the T2s for such a low price and add some additional LFE in the process makes it a pretty compelling case.

I think the chest punch your looking for will require multiple subs to displace a lot of air since your theater is so large. Two external subs and the subs on the T2s all hooked up to LFE would probably go a long way towards achieving this effect. I have my external sub pointed towards the back of my couch that serves as my PLP. Once I made that change, it really added to the LFE and gave me that punch I wanted as well.

Regardless which way you go, it will sound great and should be a big improvement over your B&W bookshelf speakers. It will most certainly match better with your surrounds. Please let us know what you decide and post a few updated pictures.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

lsu123 wrote: Thanks MurphysLaw1978, good thoughts. Unfortunately, the store that I'm dealing with is the closet GE dealer and it's about 4 hours away...

I see, yeah, that's good clip and pretty much an all-day event there and back.

lsu123 wrote: ...With my past setups I've never been able to dial in that "hit you in the chest" sound (think more shotgun blast, not so much oil refinery explosion)....

From what I've read and from a very non scientific test I was a part of that was published in Audioholics Magazine, most of the chest thumping stuff is in the 40-70Hz range, and it happens with high SPLs (loud). Case in point, my 18" subs can go quite low, flat down to 16Hz, but the chest thumping business is higher in the frequency range than that, so I really only need 10 and 12" subs for that to happen. However, you will need lots of power, along with a proper room setup and speaker placement to achieve this. The only issue with the T2s versus separate subs is if you cannot get the placement such that it's perfect in the sweet spot, then you won't see the benefits of the built-in bass drivers. Subs, on the other hand, can often go in more places that the towers, and therefore, you can probably get placement issues sorted out more easily. Most of the time, too, you don't want both the T2s and the subs to be running the bass without bass management (a crossover). You can do it, but it's not that easy to do.

On the other hand, when I bypass my subs and listen to just the T2s, they sound great and still give the chest thumping in straight-up 2-channel mode.

lsu123 wrote: Thanks again for the other thoughts. I'm sure I'll be loosing some sleep tonight getting comfortable with spending more money that I planned in one way or another, lol.

If that's the case, then you cannot go wrong with the T2. Buying used means you won't lose nearly as much money or sleep :)
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 7 months ago

T Cobe wrote: I think the chest punch your looking for will require multiple subs to displace a lot of air since your theater is so large. Two external subs and the subs on the T2s all hooked up to LFE would probably go a long way towards achieving this effect. I have my external sub pointed towards the back of my couch that serves as my PLP. Once I made that change, it really added to the LFE and gave me that punch I wanted as well.

This is all right, three key points. One, a large space is much harder to get sound pressure levels, which is what you are after. Two, combining the 2 subs and the 2 Tritons will help, but it has to be setup correctly and is harder than you think. I would consult the Harman multisub whitepaper on multiple sub placement. Three, to help solve item number two, putting the subs nearfield as T Cobe suggested by the couch could not only solve the problem, but also give you high SPL at the main seating position, where you can hear and feel it, but not necessarily pressurize the whole room.

By the way, I'm sorry, but what subs do you have again?
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

Sorry for the short response guys, only have a minute. I will post more tomorrow. Thank you very much for your input and suggestions! I have an SVS PB1000 and a Velodyne DEQ12R (I THINK the velodyne model is right, I didn't go upstairs and check...). Obviously, they don't match, but I've been able to get good results through lots and lots of moving and tinkering...at least much much better than I ever had with just one sub (either one). Individually, the SVS goes very low very well, much lower with much more force at those lower hertz than the velo, but the velodyne is tighter and much better for music, IMHO, just lacks the same output, at really low hz especially, which tends to be important in my experience for home theater. Paired and with a lot of setup, they sound good, but they may be a lot of the reason I'm missing some of the impact I'm looking for, don't know.
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by lsu123. info_outline
Well, I purchased the Triton 2's and they should be here by Friday. The SuperCenter XXL should be here today. As long as the speakers are in as good a shape as advertised (minor blemishes on base and top cap, socks in great shape, and speakers sound great and still have plenty of life) I'm EXTREMELY excited to get them plugged in and start playing. I think the mids and highs will be big upgrades over my smaller B&Ws because of the driver designs, I think the two additional sub units will make a huge difference in my largish-room, and I feel like I almost got the SCXXL for free considering the price break! (I may be justifying things to myself a little bit, please forgive me, lol).

I'll definitely report back sooner than last time on the setup and impressions. I'll include new pictures as well. I've included two here that I took awhile back after mounting the screen in the room and some shelves over the wet bar that I actually just finished the other day.

Any thoughts or advice on setup are obviously appreciated. I'm going to start with the T2s hooked up full range (not using the LFE input) and play around with the receiver crossover settings for them and the center on the lower end (50-60 maybe ?), but I'll obviously spend a lot of time listening, adjusting, moving, etc.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room