file UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Since you have 110 Volts AC available in the closet, consider installing a small oscillating fan to move air if you find that the air is too warm inside the closet. You can also consider installing a return vent to allow air to escape from the closet. Since heat rises, the best location for a return opening would be high. Or, just plan to leave the door ajar in the winter.

Make some temperature measurements with your equipment operational to determine what, if any, steps might be needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Heat and vibration are both bad for electronics, or at least that was what I was taught many years ago. I always keep my gear well vented and never stack on top of each other. My Integras have been well vented and still had issues. I have heard other customers in my local dealer replacing their Integras that died as well. I do love their sound and features. I'll ride them both into the electronics graveyard. I find their sound rich and warm but maybe not as open and transparent as some others. All in all, they provide a great one box solution and are very engaging/intimate. I apologize ISU123 if my comments came across as diparaging towards your system. As always Art, thank you for your insight and advice. Happy listening, gentlemen!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
T Cobe

I didn't take your comments negatively at all! Just the opposite, I've found all the comments by everyone so far very encouraging and helpful! BTW - my long term critique, such as it is, so far with the Integras is, I think, very similar to yours. I would define it in an easy fashion as such: acoustic or very very well mastered music generally sounds really good on them. Rock Band A, B, C, D are lacking in depth (and punch) in my opinion. Just as an example, any rock bank in the last 10 years does not sound as good as say Dianne Krall, for example, in my setup. That probably seems obvious, I realize, but I mean rock music, for example, seems very very "muddy", or undefined, and more just "noise" (comparatively), than those more intimate and acoustic recordings. A concrete example...Dave Mathews at Luther College sounds really incredible. Green Day, Nickelback, *enter your more rocking band here*, does not have nearly the presence, impact, punch...I guess really mostly Clarity... it's not that it sounds terrible, it's just pretty obviously not as good most of the time).

So, anyway, my thoughts on the pros and cons with the Integras. Mostly pros, I do mostly really like the sound, but I do think they lack as you say in some areas (YMMV on the specifics there).

I generally like it for movies, BTW. I find most of my *oh my, this isn't right* moments to music listening.

I spent most of the day today spray painting speaker grills and then wiring/hook-up at the new house; I took some fresh pictures and I'll post them tomorrow as long as work doesn't get in the way!!
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• lsu123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Wow, do you think I could have used more "for example"s in there or babbled on anymore, lol. It was a long day and I may have been high on paint fumes. :) But, on that note, here are a couple of pictures of the room that now has paint matched speaker grills. I have to say, the HTR7000s sound really amazing, even with no breakin yet! Unfortunately, they do have a "sweet spot" that doesn't extend past maybe 6-7 feet away from them. They still sound great, but there is a significant drop in the penetrating (in a good way!) quality of the sound once you move beyond that range. And I've placed them about 10 feet or so behind the main listening position. It's going to be fine especially since they are rears, but I noticed it so thought I'd share.

The MPXs sound quite good as well, but given their design it's kind of apples and oranges when comparing them to the 7000s for direct music listening. They should be awesome for surrounds that are positioned relatively close to the listeners, which is their purpose in my room.

And now, pics.

Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, fopmc

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Isu123,
That is REALLY coming along great and looking fantastic!!!!
VERY professional!!!!
I am sure it will be an awesome system.
One of my first home theater attempts had ceiling mounted speakers, not GEt and NOT nearly as great looking as yours.
SO I am sure you will have a much better sound than I did. But that room sounded REALLY good, and caused quite a stir with people who heard it--had never heard surround sound before.
I am really sure you will be pleased and happy.
And IF you have any issues, we will be here to help you correct them, and there is always the wet bar!!!!
Enjoy the music and movies, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, lsu123

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
ISU123,

That certainly is one sweet set up! Thank you for sharing your room and progress with us. I can't wait to see how it progresses. Hopefully you plan to put in a lot of seating because you're going to have a lot of guests over once the secret is out.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, lsu123

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice UpgradePath Suggestions for Dedicated Theater Room