file Will Tritons work for my room?

• DMR's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
DMR Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hello Goldenear community,

I've been looking at Tritons as part of an upgrade of the audio equipment in my basement rec room. I have bought a nice peachtree amp to go down there, and will be using it to listen to lossless music via my SONOS system, and for my TV. I really like everything I hear about the Tritons, but am concerned my room layout is not quite right for them. I've attached a layout of the room and would appreciate some feedback on what people think would work.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi DMR,
Welcome to the fun!!!!
Definitely several GEt speakers will work for you. And you already know your room is not optimal.
The worst to me is the short distance the speakers would have apart, and next worst (to me) is the low ceiling. BUT I always caution people to buy the best speakers they can, because they may not always live down there in the basement, you may move them or move house and then you will wish you had bought better, bigger speakers.
That said, one quick question: Can you move the TV and speakers to the long wall and set the sofa down at the bottom of the stairs? Put something else where the TV was?
That would improve you options a lot, IMHO.
If not, I think I would use Triton 7s in this situation, or go with Triton 2s and dial back the bass. The 7s will not be trying as hard to play bass against those too close walls.
Whatever you do, have fun with it, and enjoy the music, and pls keep us updated to know how it is working out.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Thanks for the quick feedback Wayne.

I had not really considered re-orienting the room, but it's an interesting suggestion. I will have to take a closer look at it and see if it could work. The square in the upper right corner of the room is a utility closet with a door opening toward the stairs, so I would need to make sure it would clear.

With respect to the speaker choice, I notice you don't mention the 3. I'm curious if there is any reason you would suggest the 2 or the 7 over the 3.

I definitely want the highest quality sound I can get, particularly for music, but I don't want to have a system that is too big for the space and that you need to turn up really loud to get the best sound out of. I have a Peachtree Nova plus good quality bookshelves in my living room, and while that sounds pretty good, I'd really like to get significantly better sound in the rec room if possible.

Dan

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi Dan,
No problem, I can respond because I am awake over here in Thailand when everyone else is asleep in America.
IF I could make a strong suggestion it would be to turn around the room setup (I hope that closet door will clear) and go with Triton 2s. The Peachtree should run them like a dream and fill the room with sound without having to crank it up. And they have built in bass subs for movies too. Warning, they sound so sweet though and they LIKE to be played loud, you could get a few "will you turn that downs?"
I love the sound of the T 2s over all my speakers, I have T 2s, T 3s and 2 pair of T 7s. I would recommend the T 7s for a really sweet sounding, mild mannered system if you don't want to go with the T 2s. Probably the Triton Ones are that much better, I should be recommending them, but I have never heard them and it seems to me they would be too much for your room (possibly).
The Triton 3s are good speakers, but for me fall in a funny place between the T 2s and T 7s, not as great and full as the T 2s, and not as sweet sounding as the T 7s, but they do have more bass. They could be just the ticket for you, what do I know?
I hope once again that my suggestions help.
BUT in any case, you are on the right track, I am sure you will put together an awesome sounding system.
Keep us up to date IF you will be so kind. And enjoy the tunes along the way.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Ok, I'm starting to think this new orientation could really work, and getting excited at the prospect!

I won't have time check it out right away as I am going out of town till late next week, but I will certainly respond again once I've had another good look at the space.

I do like the idea of getting the 2s since I've already splurged on the Peachtree Grand Integrated (which should be arriving any day now!)

Realistically I am probably about 4 weeks away from actually buying something given the amount of stuff I have going on in the near future, but I wanted to start thinking about it now!

Dan

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi DMR, I recently purchased T1's they are FANTASTIC. I play them at low volume levels at night to keep my wife from killing me!!! They sound vey good at low volume, sound stage is smaller as you would expect. Very defined high mid and low's so I think they would work in your space. I agree completely with Wayne, reconfig the room!! The T2's or 7s would also work. I also agree with Wayne on buying a speaker that will work in a different space as you never know you might move upstairs!!! At this point I would buy based on budget, the rest can be tweaked with EQ and volume settings.

Keep us posted on what you think/do!!

Enjoy the journey!!!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Will Tritons work for my room?