file Will Tritons work for my room?

• Gustavson A Adams's Avatar Offline
  • Hi
    • Thank you received: 35
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Gustavson A Adams Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Gustavson A Adams. info_outline
Triton Seven, Vidar, Freya, Mani from Schiit, Sony HAP-S1, Pioneer PL-51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Gustavson,

Based on your input, I'd recommend either the Triton 7s or Aon 3s with a ForceField subwoofer. I find the Aons and the T7s better than the Triton 3s in terms of sound quality. I'd be curious to hear what others have to say regarding a comparison.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Gustavson A Adams

• Gustavson A Adams's Avatar Offline
  • Hi
    • Thank you received: 35
Gustavson A Adams Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Gustavson A Adams. info_outline
Yes your comments are interesting to me, is it really a big difference in terms of musicality and let apart the bass response, the Triton Seven Performance VS Triton Three? resulting triton seven better than the triton three?
Triton Seven, Vidar, Freya, Mani from Schiit, Sony HAP-S1, Pioneer PL-51
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
I doubt you would be dissatisfied with either, it's just a matter of which is better for you. In my opinion, the T3s have great highs and good low end but the mids get a little lost. There are others here that own both and I'd be curious to hear their feedback. I currently have the Aon 3s and listen in 2.1 for music with the support of a sub and I prefer that to the T3s. Everyone is different, though, and you may prefer the musicality of the Threes. There's just no beating a first hand audition. Everyone has opinions... Mine is just one.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Gustavson A Adams

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 6 months ago
The T7's would have the upper end in clarity verses the T3's. The T7's would also match the height of the Def Tech's verses the high stature of the T3's. Check out this review of the Triton 7 by our Goldenear Flyboy -- Wayne Wilmeth.

Here is my report on the Triton 7s playing in my living room system:
The living room is about 20 ft X 20 ft, and 24 ft high ceiling, but has a stairway up to an open loft, and a hallway to the front door, in addition to that space. Another wall opens in two places to the kitchen and dining room. Lots of room to fill with music.
With Magnet power conditioner, an Oppo 83SE plays the discs, to a Triode TRV 88SE (45 wpc integrated tube amp, KT88s), ICs and Speaker cables are MIT CVT Terminator 2s. See the pic.
Just a bit of background, I am a planar speaker guy. I love wide open sound. I cannot stand box colorations from my speakers. I have had Maggies and then Apogee Stages almost as long as I can remember. BUT I have wanted dynamic speakers for years. I love bass, no bass with planars. I am a tube guy. Tubes and planar speakers do NOT play well together. So I gave up on tubes & bass and enjoyed my planars with SS amps for years. Too many compromises and I was not hearing music as I wanted to hear it, UNTIL GoldenEar Tech. came along.
I have a home theater set up with Triton 2s in the front, T3s surrounds and T7s rear surrounds. I got one more pair of T7s for the living room, I guess you would call me a GoldenEar fan boy!!!
The living room system was set up for smaller music: guitar, piano, male and female solo voices, folk, small jazz or chamber music, beautiful music to play when company comes, when eating in the adjoining kitchen/dining room, no big powerful music. My little tube amp cannot play that loud. I really was not sure it could even power the T7s adequately. Was I wrong!!!!
I was shocked when I put the Triton 7s into my system, the music was BIG, WIDE, OPEN, FULL and beautiful, right out of the boxes they sang!!!! And Bass, I had bass in spades and just could not believe it. Everybody that hears them looks for the subwoofers. These speakers fill this large room with music, totally balanced music, rich and full. Sorry, I am a foodie, these speakers play delicious, rich, sweet, creamy music!!!!
For example, I put on Norah Jones “Come away with me”, I use this to test my system, but I do not really like this music, I nearly had saliva running down my chin, WOW, delicious!!!!! The mids were a dream come true, luscious sound. The bass was more than I expected, round and full with plenty of power/definition and authority. The highs are a bit rolled off in my system, the MIT cables and tubes do this I think, but it sounds great. The speakers, even set up the way I have them now were so revealing, that when I had a tube get some distress, I heard it immediately, even while playing music.
Then I put on Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa “Don’t Explain” to see what power was there, I was going for my fav--wait a min, I got stuck on “Your heart is as black as night”, HOLY MOLY!!!!! I was drooling, this was just MUCH better music than I dreamed full range speakers were gonna give me, no sub added. The bottom is incredible!!!! Her voice was aching and when she sang “I’d rather go blind” well give it up folks. These speakers rock and they sing the BLUES!!!!!
A Jazz album I use for testing speakers, “The Famous sound of the Three Blind Mice Vol. 1” sounds like a bunch of beginners trying to play Jazz to me, sorry, I just don’t like this kind of music. BUT the upright bass, drums and piano are recorded so closely and with a layer of digital glare. They just sang in this system. It sounded like a big bass was being played badly in my living room. Thought I was gonna have to serve them boys some sushi.
Willie Nelson’s guitar on “Spirit” is spectacular in simplicity, purity of tone and image. His voice, everybody knows his voice, is just RIGHT (no chestiness, no nasal sound other than his own—pure Willie, whether you hate him or love him). “Spheres” by Daniel Hope, adds some great violin to some beautiful classical music. The imaging is wonderful, the space around the musicians clearly defined. The House of Blues tribute album to the Rolling Stones, “Paint it Blue” just filled the room with “Satisfaction” and “Wild Horses” rocking as much as I needed in this room. These speakers are doing all I ask of them and MORE.
I did not try full on loud rock and roll, nor full on orchestra yet. I would very much like to try out a powerful hybrid amp or solid state amp with the T7s in the future. I am sure the top would open up more and the bottom end be a little more controlled (I really don’t know how they could sound better). They probably would be able to handle larger presentations of music with more power given. That is for a later date.
I can’t say enough about these speakers. For their size and price (and ease of integration into nearly any home system or room) they just cannot be beat!!! They are simply over-achievers in every way. I can’t believe I am saying this, but unless you are a real bass head (like I thought I was) you will not need a sub with these speakers for two channel music!!! For home theater, yes, probably.
I wish I was a reviewer and could do justice in words to these speakers. They deserve it. And let me say this, they deserve as good a system/associated electronics and setup as can be had. Mine is not the most expensive stuff, but the cables cost more than the speakers did. IF I had a better front end player, IF a better and more powerful amp, I can only dream what this would sound like. Heck, I am sure my room is holding these speakers back more than anything else. But with more modest systems I would be amazed if these speakers do not thrill as well. One could start cost effectively with the Triton 7s and a receiver, and then build a system to die for through the years around these speakers. I do not think they would ever become the weak link!
Hope this helps someone,
Enjoy and God Bless,
Wayne
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Gustavson A Adams

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Understand about the cost and exchange rates. To address the tweeter height you can tilt the speaker forward to aim the tweeter. On a different note, I love Monterrey!! I have traveled there on business many times. Beautiful city, fantastic food and very nice people. I was there before and after the big flood a few years ago. That was devastating to see the damage along the river. I haven't been in about 2 years so I have not seen how the rebuild is going.

Enjoy!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Gustavson A Adams

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Will Tritons work for my room?