compress Triton "Competition"

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Hey guys. Curious if anyone has any experience with or comments (good or bad) regarding Tekton Double Impact speakers

www.tektondesign.com/double-impact.html

There is much hullabaloo on the audiogon forum, even going as far as to "best" them in comparison to the Triton One! Not to mention they are only $3000 a pair. The design is patented, and the company goes as far as to state "...in theory, we’ve now made every other high fidelity loudspeaker on earth obsolete in one fell swoop..."

Personally, I have no experience with these speakers, have never heard or seen them, nor has the dealer I work with.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Well, never heard of em either, but here is a first impression from their pics.
I don't like dome tweeters, AT ALL, so I figure I would not like this sound X 14!!!!
You can put a LOT of cheap cones into boxes, and paint them boxes lots of colors, but that does not make a revolutionary speaker, let alone a world beater.
BUT what do I know?
Could be great, let me know IF anybody finds out.
Second thought, don't let me know, coz I am speaker poor now!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Upgrade Fever has hit me and 2017 seems the perfect year. I've had my eye on Tekton speakers for quite some time now, especially the Double Impacts. They are getting great reviews from Pros and regular folk alike. One thing that's held me back is their 4 ohm design, but after revisiting their website yesterday, I now see they have an 8 ohm option as an upgrade...this throws a wrench in my Triton Reference plans.

Another speaker I've been looking at is the Spatial M3...same problem, only 4ohm. In April they came out with the Spatial M3 Triode Master...16 ohm. Perfect for Tube amp lovers such as myself.

www.spatialaudio.us/m3-triode-master

It's gonna be a Great year but a hard one desicion wise. Looking forward to more reviews on all these speakers, especially the Triton Reference.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Great for you Bro Anthem that you will be making a choice like this coming up.
I REALLY hope you can audition all the speakers you are considering, and don't just go by what reviewers say.
Not on that big and expensive decision.
I just have REAL TROUBLE believing a bunch of dome tweeters are gonna sound as sweet as our HVFR.
Just doubtin'
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, HTSME

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Honestly the only thing that piques my curiosity with Tekton is that I'm of the opinion only Golden Ear offers such an outstanding value! Value being the operative word here.

@wayne the tweeter observation/objection was/is the focus of much discussion on audiogon and the general consensus is that in the particular case of the double impacts the designer has found a way to make it work extremely well. Again, I personally have no idea.

@anthem ... and the double impacts are no where near the Tekton "top-of-the-line" model, and the double impacts are supposedly comparable to T1s. I can't imagine how that would be the case. But as you very accurately state, they are getting terrific reviews from owners and professionals.

I asked my dealer - authorized GET dealer and not a Tekton dealer - about Tekton. This is their reply:

"This Tekton designer is stating obvious facts that are known by all loudspeaker designers, that is why multi way speakers are around. The smaller midranges and tweeters are lower in mass and handle the upper harmonics of instruments. His stating that a guitar producing a 41hz note is only being reproduced by a subwoofer with a 200-300 gram cone is totally false, the upper harmonics of that guitar note are being reproduced by the midrange and tweeter which are much lower in mass and able to reproduce the harmonics. He also doesn't state what his speaker does that is different to try and diminish the mass of the drivers, they look pretty typical to me. I think this is pretty much snake oil."
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, HTSME

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Honestly the only thing that piques my curiosity with Tekton is that I'm of the opinion only Golden Ear offers such an outstanding value! Value being the operative word here.

@wayne the tweeter observation/objection was/is the focus of much discussion on audiogon and the general consensus is that in the particular case of the double impacts the designer has found a way to make it work extremely well. Again, I personally have no idea.

@anthem ... and the double impacts are no where near the Tekton "top-of-the-line" model, and the double impacts are supposedly comparable to T1s. I can't imagine how that would be the case. But as you very accurately state, they are getting terrific reviews from owners and professionals.

I asked my dealer - authorized GET dealer and not a Tekton dealer - about Tekton. This is their reply:

"This Tekton designer is stating obvious facts that are known by all loudspeaker designers, that is why multi way speakers are around. The smaller midranges and tweeters are lower in mass and handle the upper harmonics of instruments. His stating that a guitar producing a 41hz note is only being reproduced by a subwoofer with a 200-300 gram cone is totally false, the upper harmonics of that guitar note are being reproduced by the midrange and tweeter which are much lower in mass and able to reproduce the harmonics. He also doesn't state what his speaker does that is different to try and diminish the mass of the drivers, they look pretty typical to me. I think this is pretty much snake oil."
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton "Competition"