• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Good discussion here!

I'm all for all feedback of any auditions of competing speakers vs. GEt speakers. But press releases and ads and comments from those not doing a direct audition vs a GEt speaker won't sway me all that much.

I'll be awaiting any further direct comparisons to comparable GEt speakers... but I'm heading for a decision on T Ref's and would be really reluctant to ever introduce a different brand/voice into my GEt HT system. I can't picture giving that integrated sound field up, especially since I just plain love the sound as is.

First speakers I've ever owned or heard that present SMOOTH treble, huge stage, clean and musical bass, all in such natural voicing.

So I'll keep an open mind to what folks hear with these other speakers, but someone would have to drag my GEt speakers out of"my cold, dead hands". :whistle:

Happy listening and experimenting!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Bro Rick, I agree with you completely!!!
I want to hear what people who know good sound say when they audition these OTHER speakers.
Meantime, I am not worried at all, and IF I was a betting man, which I am not, I would bet a LOT of money on GEt to win.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

• deviate2112's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 53
deviate2112 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
I'm going to bring what appears to be a dead house back from the dead. So a couple years ago I owned the T-ones, they amazed me beyond words. One of my first words after break-in was " huge sound". Over the next year or so I grew to love every aspect of the ones. I had them in a all GE theater but I do about 70% 2 channel listening. I then heard about the soon to be released T-Ref's and the upgrade bug hit. Unfortunately they were delayed (and my wallet was lacking). I sold the T-ones and purchased a pair of the "regular" Tekton Double Impacts. My initial reaction was...umm...wow they are really forward compared to the T-ones. If the Ones were row M or N in the hall, the DI's were row A or B. Lot's of detail, very dynamic, bass was shy of the ones but I have two subs integrated so that wasn't a big issue for me.
Biggest problem was listening fatigue compared to the Ones. I just couldn't make the DI's work in my room, I played with placement, different amps, upgraded my D/A...still, with certain music, acoustic anything, the DI's shine, but I just never could get the GE's out of my mind...their huge soundstage, a bit more laid back. I ended up keeping the DI's for a few months and I've now ordered T-refs. I pick them up Tomorrow. Can't wait.
GoldenEar Triton Reference, GoldenEar XXL Center, Aon 2, Emotiva Airmotiv 6, Adam ax3, Epik Legend, Parts Express 15" sub kit, Anthem AVM 60, Bryston 4Bst, Crown XLS2500 X 2, Crown XLS1500 X 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, HTSME

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 6 years 3 months ago

deviate2112 wrote: I'm going to bring what appears to be a dead house back from the dead. So a couple years ago I owned the T-ones, they amazed me beyond words. One of my first words after break-in was " huge sound". Over the next year or so I grew to love every aspect of the ones. I had them in a all GE theater but I do about 70% 2 channel listening. I then heard about the soon to be released T-Ref's and the upgrade bug hit. Unfortunately they were delayed (and my wallet was lacking). I sold the T-ones and purchased a pair of the "regular" Tekton Double Impacts. My initial reaction was...umm...wow they are really forward compared to the T-ones. If the Ones were row M or N in the hall, the DI's were row A or B. Lot's of detail, very dynamic, bass was shy of the ones but I have two subs integrated so that wasn't a big issue for me.
Biggest problem was listening fatigue compared to the Ones. I just couldn't make the DI's work in my room, I played with placement, different amps, upgraded my D/A...still, with certain music, acoustic anything, the DI's shine, but I just never could get the GE's out of my mind...their huge soundstage, a bit more laid back. I ended up keeping the DI's for a few months and I've now ordered T-refs. I pick them up Tomorrow. Can't wait.

Congratulations! Given what you've stated about the T1s, there is no doubt in my mind you will cherish the T Refs. :)

As to Tekton, I've honestly never heard them so I'm unable to comment from personal experience. However, this is a quote from a Golden Ear dealer regarding info that is or was on the Tekton website.

"This Tekton designer is stating obvious facts that are known by all loudspeaker designers, that is why multi way speakers are around. The smaller midranges and tweeters are lower in mass and handle the upper harmonics of instruments. His stating
that a guitar producing a 41hz note is only being reproduced by a subwoofer with a 200-300 gram cone is totally false, the upper harmonics of that guitar note are being reproduced by the midrange and tweeter which are much lower in mass and able to reproduce the harmonics. He also doesn't state what his speaker does that is different to try and diminish the mass of the drivers, they look pretty typical to me. I think this is pretty much snake oil."
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• deviate2112's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 53
deviate2112 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Is this Sandy? If so, it's because of you talking me into giving the Refs another shot at my local dealer I made the leap (well short jump)
GoldenEar Triton Reference, GoldenEar XXL Center, Aon 2, Emotiva Airmotiv 6, Adam ax3, Epik Legend, Parts Express 15" sub kit, Anthem AVM 60, Bryston 4Bst, Crown XLS2500 X 2, Crown XLS1500 X 2

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 6 years 3 months ago

deviate2112 wrote: Is this Sandy? If so, it's because of you talking me into giving the Refs another shot at my local dealer I made the leap (well short jump)

No sir. Just a proud prior owner of Triton One and current proud owner of Triton Reference.
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton "Competition"