file Triton One report - in the wild!

• fopmc's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fopmc Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Toby,

If you choose to go the XPA 1 route, I think you will be the first here to give us an in-depth review as to how much you gain from it.
I chose the budget route, since I believe that's all I need, and when I say budget, I also like the leaner look, and so far I cannot be happier in my space!

Equipment wise I am also using the following:
Emotiva CMX-6 Precision
SurgeX SA-1810 Standalone Surge Eliminator

I'm not sure if this adds anything, but I thought I'd mention it as part of my complete setup.
Sound-wise I am very happy, my Sharp TV works well, but with 4K around the corner, I'm still holding off, dream-receiver would be a top of the range Atmos Marantz. Anyways, I think gear wise I'm satisifed now, especially after all this tweaking, but ultimately the rest will be room correction and seating! I don't think I'm speanding enough time to justify more right now, so I'm happy :)
SCXL, I still went back and forth with setting between 60-80-100Hz, but I think I still prefer it at 60Hz.
Playing with the receiver gain also helps!

With my hybrid-Atmos, going with rear surround, 'spreads-it-thin,' hence me asking questions in the past about the rear channels. I think it play better with the surround channels only and no-rears for me, slightly behind but at ear height. I also had custom walnut end blocks made, and my Triton 7s sitting on top, to get the tweeters higher.

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Po,

Thanks for the feedback. I did purchase the XPA-5 first to see if the power would be sufficient and so far I've been pretty happy. I still have some tweaking and tuning to do but the T1s are a lot more dynamic and sound much more large and in charge with the added amplification. I think the XPA-1Ls would be enough. I also like the size and power requirements to run the amp. My plan would be to plug them in to a dedicated 20 amp outlet with each T1. I should have enough power at each dedicated outlet to run 1 amp and 1 T1. The larger amps may not get enough power with this configuration.

I'm also waiting for a Marantz to run an Atmos/DTS:X theater. I'm considering a 2-channel set up with home theater bypass as well. I'm thinking about the Emotiva XSP-1 to run a fully balanced system with the mono block amps. I can run this set-up and the next gen 7702 for less money than the 8802 and the 2-channel performance will probably be better.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 2 months ago
FYI - just did some comparing with Triton ones for some customers with some amps in same room and volume.

Xpa2
Xpa3
Peachtree 220se
Rogue Sphinx

Was not even close, the Emotivas were bright and somewhat fatiging vs the class D units.
Rogue and Peachtree were pretty close and sounded like a perfect match the Triton ones.
Warm, musical, and vocals floated with very little harshness. Very different to the Emotivas and obvious as we did a few of the tracks blind and were able to discern 100% of the time. Although, we were split between the Peachtree and Rogue.
(Sandy uses Peachtree at Trade shows sometimes withTritons with great response) I myself, am partial to the Rogue.

The Emotiva units are built like tanks, but sounded very "entry level" to the group, and not a good match.

Your reponse may be different, but I am sold on the higher end class D models with Triton ones.

TJ
Good times, good wine, and great music !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
TJ (WineFix), I am not arguing with your results, but I think in the interest of full disclosure, you might need to mention what you sell.
What brand you personally represent?
There are lots of kinds of amps and lots of examples of good and poor implementation of Class A, A/B solid state and Tube, as well as Class D.
Up until very recently Class D has been looked down on as much less musical as the old tried and true types listed first.
No doubt Class D has done some nice catching up lately.
"Entry level" might be a little harsh, or at least biased.
Just sayin' and I don't have an Emotiva amp in my house.
I would think it best to be "up front" is all.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 2 months ago
No worries,

I sell Rogue, I didn't mention because the moderator asks that we don't promote dealer sales / brands in this section.
I do not sell Peachtree.
However, I purchased GE products from a retail store at retail like everyone else, that should tell you how much I love the products as I have many brands available to me at Wholesale cost, and still purchased the Triton ones !!!

I have been super lucky to have heard the Triton ones (and twos) with quite a few amps, and as I stated this is MY opinion regarding the Peachtree and Rogue combo with Tritons. As I also stated, your response may be different. Just wanted to give some personal results from a fellow audiophile that has heard many amps with the Tritons.

If cost is not a concern, I thought the Pass labs amp was the best amp I ever heard with the Tritons ones, but way too expensive to get maybe 10% better sound over the Peachtree or Rouge units.

TJ
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 2 months ago
What defines "Entry-Level"? Price, performance, or both. If price is indicative of "Entry-Level" then the Rogue Audio Sphinx & Peachtree 220se are "Entry-Level" products.
en·try-lev·el
adjective
at the lowest level in an employment hierarchy.
"he was hired as an entry-level research assistant"
(of a product) suitable for a beginner or first-time user; basic.
"entry-level computers"
synonyms: introductory, elementary, basic, first, starter, junior
"entry-level management"
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series Triton One report - in the wild!