question-circle SuperSats Advice Please

• tallensr's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
tallensr Posted 2 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by tallensr. Reason: Mistakenly put SS XL info_outline
Hey fellow GEar-Heads!

I built my current HT using SuperSats and a SuperSub X. Following Sandy's Tips, I purchased a 60c for my center, and 50s for my LR speakers (my TV is only 55". I added a SuperSub X because I had a small viewing rooms, and eventually some SS 3s to complete my 5.1 system. I am driving it all with an Anthem MRX1140, and once I calibrated for the room with ARC, I was blown away!

I now have a large enough room (12' wide by 23' deep) to convert into a dedicated home theater, with two rows of 3 theater recliners each. I am most likely upgrading to an 83" OLED for my screen.

Now my questions:

1. I am strongly considering upgrading my L & R to 60s to better match the size of the screen and drive more air. Do you think I will notice the difference in an appreciable way?
2. If I did #1 above, I was considering moving the 50s to the back sides for my new surrounds, and move the 3s to the very back for rear surrounds. In this proposed set up, are 50s "overkill" for surrounds? Note: I do enjoy some surround music and Atmos audio from time-to-time
3. Or should I just scrap the above plan altogether, and simply add two more 3s for the rear surrounds?
4. Or should I just still move the 3s to the rear surrounds, and get some Invisa MPXs (which are $350 less each compared to the new 60s upfront) for the main surrounds, having the extra benefit of getting the speakers "off the wall" where people might be walking to get to their seats?
5. I am planning to also add a SuberSub XXL, placing it in the back of the room, and putting my SuberSub X the front near the center to make sure I have good front presence on the lower end. Seeing my Anthem ARC will calibrate each subwoofer independently and together in the room (including phase etc), is there any way I would not get good value from this setup?

Also note that I plan to add either 2 or 4 Atmos speakers to the ceiling -- GE models TBD.

Looking forward to everyone's input -- I don't mind spending the money as needed ... just want to get the "most bank for the buck".
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 3 months ago
hi tallensr, It sounds like you've have some nice upgrade possibilities with your dedicated home theater room. I would recommend upgrading your front left and right speakers to the SuperSat 60s - and using your SuperSat 50s as your side surrounds. This would provide an upgrade to both your front soundstage as well as your surrounds. You'll hear more clarity, detail and fullness from your front soundstage when using the SuperSat 60s as your front left and right speakers. In addition, you'll hear more fullness and openness from your side surrounds by upgrading to the SuperSat 50s. (It's also quite acceptable to use the SuperSat 3s as your rear surrounds.)

Add a second subwoofer to your system (in this case a SuperSub XXL) would be a great idea and would help provide a "bear hug" of bass all around the listeners.

When adding Atmos speakers to your system, using two or four Invisa HTR7000s would be a great choice.

Happy Listening!

tallensr Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by tallensr. info_outline
Hey Mod -- thanks for the feedback! I am definitely upgrading the fronts to SS 60s and moving 50s to side surrounds and 3s to rear surrounds.

A few follow-ups:
  1. 60s Have "More Detail": You mentioned that upgrading the L/Rs to 60s would provide more detail. Does the two extra mid drivers in each really make that much of a difference in "detail"? I get that the clarity and overall air movement would improve, and help the speakers "work less" overall. Just never thought of it as "gaining clarity" -- especially with the HVFR tweets. I would love to hear more about this.

2. Atmos Speakers: Seeing I will be putting the Atmos speakers in my drop ceiling and have a lot of flexibility for placement over the seating positions, aren't the Invisa HTRs a little "overkill" given I am using SuperSats all around? I thought the "FocusField" tech and the angles etc were for use as L/C/R/S in the ceilings, and ATMOS was "not that picky" (nor that much info sent to ATMOS speakers)? And are they not overkill size-wise -- do I really need 7" or 8" drivers given all the rest are 4" ish (albeit multiples per speaker)? I don't mind spending the extra dough for the HTRs if they really will make a difference -- but don't want to "waste money" nor make them heavier than needed. I was thinking some 650s or even 652s in parallel would do the trick nicely for Atmos speaker while still maintaining the same voice coils all around. Would love to hear your pros/cons though!

3. Supersubs Placement: I was initially thinking about putting my SS X upfront under the screen close to center, and the SS XXL in the rear. But the more I think about it, the more I think the biggest one should be up front, with the little brother for "fill" in the back (which is also near the entrance to the theater etc so smaller is better). Any thoughts either way on this?

Thanks in Advance!
Troy

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Hi Troy,

1- The 4 x drivers used in the SuperSat 60s allow you to hear more inner detail and 3-dimesionality when compared to the dual drivers used in the SuperSat 50s. Since the tweeters used in the SuperSat 50s and 60s are the same, this difference would only be related to midrange frequencies and it wouldn't be a "night and day" difference, however, it would certainly be noticeable.

2- The Invisa 650 would work well as an Atmos speaker in this home theater system (and most systems). The Invisa 650s are great sounding Atmos speakers. However, the Invisa HTR7000s would "kick it up a notch". The HTR7000s would produce more fullness and bass, and since they play at a 30 degree angle to the ceiling, they do a great job of aiming the sound effects at the listeners. I wouldn't really call the HTR7000s overkill, but I guess the questions become...how good is good enough, and whether the difference in performance is worth the additional cost?

3- Given a choice, I'd recommend placing the larger subwoofer in the front of your listening room. This would produce a better blend with your front soundstage (which produces the vast majority of sound in a home theater system). Having the majority of bass being played by the front subwoofer would be preferred. The smaller SuperSub X would then work very well as a filler sub in the rear of your system. Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, tallensr

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Just a thumbs up to Moderator's recommendation to go with 7000's for Atmos speakers. The height speakers can add lots of dynamics and impact, fullness of sound, more than I first thought until I upgraded.

Of course budget comes first, but the 7000's are perfect for height duty if it's within your budget!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: tallensr

tallensr Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Thanks to you both for your input -- I will definitely give the HTR 7000s some serious consideration. If I have to choose one row for HTRs and one for 650s, I am guessing the HTRs should go in the front ATMOS row pointing back at the listener and 650s behind?

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats SuperSats Advice Please