file Super Center XXL is near

• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fopmc Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Makes sense, Mod, can you try and report back ;)

Thanks
Po

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

T Cobe wrote: Po,

I believe you would have to use a splitter coming out of the pre-amp and send the center signal through two separate external amplifier channels. It would be an interesting experiment for sure.

Cheers,

T Cobe

T Cobe, I actually have a spare channel on my amp free at this time, and although I don't have another SCXL, I do have my in-ceiling center channel currently free, and a spare splitter or two would you believe.

I think I can attempt this setup for a trial run to determine if the height SCXL or SCXXL is a good one. However I am curious about placement if a SC should be reversed angled down towards the hot seat from the ceiling or better to have just above the screen as usually seen!

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Po,

Nice! It's good to have options for listening tests. I would try directing both center channels toward the center of your listening position. I'm curious what the benefit of one a obove and one below versus side by side would be. Let us know how it sounds.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by fopmc. info_outline
Okay, I got my two centers hooked up for a very quick inital test and listen.
SCXL below TV, in-ceiling center above TV.

Let's just say initial test are favorable in the same way stereo sound on the horizontal makes it better!
Triton 1s in stereo give a phantom center, in the same way hooking up two center channels make it more accurate in sense of vertical positioning. I cannot quite put my fingers on it or quite express my inital experience well enough, but I enjoy the added presence, that only further listening will confirm.

Anyways I just thought I'd report my inital hook up! Anyone with two SCXLs want to give it try?
My SCXL is connected to the XPA-1L and the in-ceiling to the XPA-5 G2.
My connection is AudioQuest Y splitter - one RCA male to two RCA female 6in (15.24cm) cable, which I am using with much success, also given the tight space on the receiver some space-relief over the more solid adapter I orginally had. Blue Jeans Cable RCA to RCA for the pre-amp to amp connection.

I can only imagine for the time being two SCXXLs will be amazing, but without seperate channels for this, I think further testing will reveal itself, but I can only see this in future HT experience!

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Very interesting feedback on your experiment, Po. Did you have any sort of echo or discontinuity? Maybe I could find a use for my SCXL AND a new SCXXL... Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by fopmc. Reason: typo info_outline

T Cobe wrote: Very interesting feedback on your experiment, Po. Did you have any sort of echo or discontinuity? Maybe I could find a use for my SCXL AND a new SCXXL... Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

T Cobe

No, it blended really well, felt similar in the way Multi-channel stereo blends (at least to me). Of course this is a short half hour playback of Guardians of the Galaxy, Forest Gump, and Brian May & Kerry Ellis: The Candlelight Concerts Live at Montreux. Normally with just the SCXL, the voicing seems lower, of course you don't feel like it's coming directly from the speaker, since it projects upwards, but now it feels dimensionally more elevated, and that's good for me.

Now the Brian May & Kerry Ellis concert felt very airy in a good way, but that's a good mix of the Tritons having their share!
I didn't do an A/B test, so better to my ear is subjective and by no means a technical measure! So take my finding with a grain of salt.

Now back to your earlier question if the XPA-1Ls help play louder, they do but I wouldn't say it's mountains, in your case of your room size. There is a level of improved dynamics for sure. You might want to compare it to the XPA-2. I don't know about your room layout, but when I spoke with GIK, they recommended me some (three) Monster traps behind where I sit to help contain the sound a bit, I'm not sure if this applies to your case, my space is roughly 250sqft compared to your cavernous wonderland :)

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Super Center XXL is near