file Amp/Pre-Pro/Receiver advice

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 11 years 9 months ago
According to Anthem the receivers downmix 5.1 to 2.0 and discard the LFE (if your setup is L/R=large, sub/center/surround=no). It could well be that they have updated their software to no longer do this, but I doubt it as this is a "standard".

ARC graphs look good - I'd also suggest running ARC with the Triton bass level set at around 10 o'clock - then adjust bass to taste after ARC has run.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tom7's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
tom7 Posted 11 years 9 months ago
I watched Batman The Dark Knight on Blu-ray (Dolby TrueHD) and the bass was overwhelming with only the 2 TritonTwos connected - also watched Prometheus and The Avengers from HD Satellite with similar bass results. The Anthem MRX 700 is definitely only powering those 2 speakers at this time, but maybe it's possible in its configuration still had other speakers/sub in it. Since running ARC, I clearly set no other speakers in ARC besides the 2 TritonTwos, but I haven't tried any 5.1 content yet. Either way, in the long term I will have 5 GoldenEar speakers connected so it won't be an issue.

I ran ARC again, limiting the HF correction to 1.5Khz, and lowering the bass levels on my Tritons to 10-o-clock (previously I had them at 12-o-clock. It was brought to my attention that ARC shouldn't be rolling off the bass below 80Hz which it did in my previous charts when I ran in auto-mode. I did notice much less lower bass after running ARC. I ran in manual mode this time (hence the 1.5khz cutoff), and set the frequency response to be flat all the way to 20hz. Based on what I saw, I think for my room (which seems to have a bass dead zone in my listening area then much more bass over in the far corner where I have a desk but don't typically listen from) I should probably keep the setting at 12-o-clock to get the best results with ARC. I was listening at 2-o-clock before running ARC, but was starting to find that a bit too much bass as the bass drivers in the TritonTwo are starting to flex their muscle (still less than 100 hrs of playing time so far).

Most significantly, ARC didn't seem to correct the right speaker from 50-150hz, yet it did correct the left speaker in that range. This is the main reason I was thinking of re-running ARC with the Triton bass levels set to 12.

Here are the charts with bass levels on Tritons set to 10, and HF cutoff at 1.5Khz:

www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/91021/

www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/91022/

Looks to me like something in the ARC settings was wrong - there should be LF correction and there isn't (Blue line is not following the standard path - sorry, off the top of my head I don't know which setting would be causing that). Actual measurements look much better on the low frequency section here, for ARC to do its work, than on the prior. You don't have to re-measure, just check your settings and get the correct target back - then re-compute and upload.

I use ARC on a stereo pair of Tritons (for music playback), results are exceptional.

Are you saying the blue line should dramatically curve down below 80hz? I was told by someone on AVS that target line was wrong and was rolling off the bass below 80Hz and should have stayed level to 20hz. I can change that setting and see what it does. I took the measurements first, and it seemed to auto-set 60hz as the "response cutoff" for the TritonTwos. I had changed that to "Flat", along with reducing the HF correction to 1.5Khz. I'll change it back to the 60hz it seemed to have auto-determined and see how the charts look.

Thanks

The "Target Curve" has a room-gain hump and then roles off afterward. The "flat" setting will result in no correction at low frequencies (which is what you have there), you don't want that.

If someone is arguing the target curve they are arguing the science from the NRC research, which is accepted and used by every good speaker designer in the world. Ignore those people, they are outliers and completely wrong. Set the L/R to full range (no crossover), no sub, etc., and the default ARC settings for the target curve.

The charts are looking much better now, using 60hz cutoff. The "Target Curve" looks as you described once again. Now I'm just trying to get the MRX 700 to make it all the way through an upload of the ARC settings without freezing (has frozen 3 times now). I don't fully understand why the curve would roll off so much at the lower frequencies, but I'll take your word for it :)

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Amp/Pre-Pro/Receiver advice