file Amp/Pre-Pro/Receiver advice

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks - nice summary! A couple comments that might be relevant:

1) The Anthem receiver is great - make sure to limit the max frequency of ARC when you run it (default is 5000 Hz, I prefer 1/2 or 1/4 of that for best results with the GoldenEar speakers).

2) Regarding the center channel, with the bass directed to the Tritons there should have been no difference between the Aon and the SS-50C. Could be ARC will help this, could be the crossover was set too low on the Aon and/or too low on the SS-50C.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tom7's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
tom7 Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Thanks for the comments.

I did notice less bass with the Anthem vs when I had previously listened with the NAD T 975. This could have also played a factor in the center channel test. Once I get everything set up and burned in, and run ARC, I will be able to say conclusively if the difference is still there. I would definitely prefer to be able to use the SS-50C for aesthetic reasons.

tom7 Posted 11 years 10 months ago
So I finally have the Triton Two's and the Anthem MRX 700. So far I'm just going through the first 100 hours with the Triton's, but already I'm very impressed with the sound quality. There is plenty of bass and the sound is very cohesive, detailed and liquid-smooth. Also, the MRX 700 seems to have plenty of power to drive the Triton Two's to the levels I was looking for. I've gone as high as -5db but probably wouldn't need to go above -20 for any extended listening - things get seriously loud around -15 to -12db at least in my room. In fact, the combo also sounds great at much lower volumes and I have spent a lot of time listening at -50 to -40db.

I have not yet run ARC as I wanted to wait for the speakers to go through the first 100 hours or so to "burn in". I'm curious to see how much improvement ARC brings. Once that is done, I will then pick up both the Aon 3 and the SS-50C to compare them as center channels (re-running ARC). I wanted to complete my 2 channel setup (burn in, positioning, ARC), before focusing on the center channel debate.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 10 months ago
tom7,
I for one am following with interest. Waiting to see what you come up with.
Please report back when you can. Seems so many on this forum leave us hanging.
Thanks
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 10 months ago
Excellent, glad you are enjoying them! When you run ARC, we suggest you change the default frequency limit (5KHz) to one half or one quarter of that (some might suggest even lower) for best results with the GoldenEar speakers. Rerunning ARC for your center channel comparison will take care of crossover setting for each, which are different of course.

tom7 Posted 11 years 9 months ago

Moderator wrote: Stereo is 2.0, no LFE to worry about :) . And yes, discarded LFE would not be a concern in your 5.0 system playback.

I think your choice 1 makes sense unless you want to step up to separates in the $5-10,000 range. Can't really say on the Outlaw deal as I have no experience with that gear.

So now I'm confused - I've in fact had 5.1 signals (showing Dolby 3/2 on the Anthem MRX 700, as well as Dolby True HD) and the Anthem MRX 700 had no issue getting the LFE signal to my TritonTwo's. I have not yet set up more than 2 speakers, as I don't have my center and surrounds yet. The Anthem is running the newest firmware 50.25.

On another note, I have run ARC (just in auto mode, I will re-run it with the default frequency limit lowered). Here are my graphs:

www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/90741/

www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/90743/

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Amp/Pre-Pro/Receiver advice