file Amp/Pre-Pro/Receiver advice

• junkmail20000's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
junkmail20000 Posted 11 years 6 months ago
Sorry to hear you have popping and constant static. I would get your dealer to replace your Anthem with a new one. Aside from the LFE issue (which is solved using 2 subwoofer cables and Y cable), I haven't had any problems with the MRX500. It did lockup completely on me once and I had to pull the power plug to reset it. The Tritons sound amazing with the Anthem.

tom7 wrote: When I was at the dealer, we had ONLY the speaker wires connected to the Triton Twos (no LFE cables), and when watching a 5.1 movie (with 5 speakers and no subwoofer connected) there was bass. At home, so far I have only connected the 2 Triton Twos to my MRX 700, and had no issues watching 5.1 or 7.1 movies and the bass/LFE was redirected to the Triton Twos. So I'm not sure what the other variables are, but I have simply not experienced this bass not being redirected issue. I previously had a store demo MRX 700 and now I have the one I bought, both running 50.25 firmware.

On another note, I did have several issues with the loaner MRX 700 - loud clicking/popping noise when changing songs/channels/muting, the entire receiver freezing/crashing after playing a few songs from a USB thumbdrive, and extreme distortion through the USB thumbdrive and HDMI connections (but not the optical digital connections). The last issue (distortion) went away after I disabled Dolby Volume (as advised by Anthem tech support). The other 2 issues remained until I returned the loaner and picked up my brand new MRX 700. For the first few days I used it, it displayed none of the above issues. Finally I could play music from the USB drive for as long as I wanted, and not have the click/pop when changing songs/channels/muting. However, suddenly after being used for about a week, the click/pop issue is back. I am quite certain that this has nothing to do with the Triton Two speakers, as it never happens when connected to my old Yamaha receiver. I noticed, in addition to the click/pop, there is noticeable static/feedback noise coming through the right speaker at all times now, even when the MRX 700 is muted. Only turning it off completely stops this noise. Again, this does not happen when the speakers are connected to the Yamaha receiver.

Not sure what to do now... ask for a replacement MRX 700 or try a different brand of receiver. I recently read a review of the Oppo BDP-103 that says it can completely replace your pre-amp/processor, in addition to being a universal player. I'm wondering if getting an Oppo 103 and a separate amp would be a good way to go. I would be losing out on ARC, but at this point if I can't get any MRX receivers to behave in my home system, I'll have to give up on that dream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 6 months ago

junkmail20000 wrote: First of all, my Triton 2s are great and I am really enjoying them.

Secondly, I was told by my dealer that I will need to use subwoofer cables to get LFE output from my MRX500 v50.25. They said that with earlier firmware versions, you do not need the sub cable in a 5.0 setup to get the bass from the LFE channel.

I had been working with Anthem (Paradigm) technical support about not receiving the LFE signal in my 5.0 configuration (Triton 2s set to large, subwoofer = no) and they said that I will need to use 2 subwoofer cables with a Y splitter and connect them to the Tritons. When I do this, I get all the bass signal and everything is good. I have used a PS3 to play Blu-ray and DVD in various formats DTS5.1, TrueHD, and DD5.1. Furthermore, without the subwoofer cables, I do not get the low bass when playing music through USB or PS3 (.wav, .mp3, CD).

I asked that this issue be fixed in a firmware update and was told it will be sent in as a request, but not sure if or when a next firmware update will be released.

This is how I came to the conclusion that the LFE signal and any low bass in the MRX500 v50.25 is discarded in a 5.0 configuration.

So if that statement is incorrect, then there is something wrong with my MRX500 or Triton 2s."

Well, that's puzzling alright. Bottom line, if it works and you're happy, everything is good (even if it does not work as claimed). That said, I want to tell you and all the other interested forum members: the information we included from Anthem is a direct cut and paste from an email we received from the Anthem product manager. Not only the most informed source regarding Anthem, but also one of the most knowledgeable people in our industry on home audio electronics. I'm not sure who you spoke to at Anthem, but the information your received (unless there was a communication breakdown, which is always a possibility) is clearly not correct.

• mikicasellas's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
mikicasellas Posted 11 years 3 weeks ago
Hello,

I am an owner of both Triton Two and Anthem receiver and i am trying to run ARC in manual mode, but because i am a potato in this i have not been able to do it right, please guide me step by step on this:

when i get in the first screen there is an option which i guess is the one to begin with..."Target": how do i put my numbers cause every time i am trying to put the cutoff number it says invalid number, would you please explain how to do?, if you can attached screen shots better please

best regards

Mike

Moderator wrote: The setup you describe is correct IF the LFE cables are required to get LFE to the speakers (conflicting information here on the Anthem receivers). I would suggest waiting a day or two of playing time before running ARC. A few suggestions for ARC: 1) Turn bass level control on Tritons to around 9 o'clock before running ARC, 2) Do not use the ARC default frequency limit - we'd suggest setting a max frequency of anywhere from 500-1500Hz; 3) After running ARC, adjust Triton bass level to taste. Have fun!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 3 weeks ago
Your Anthem dealer should be able to provide support. If not them, certainly Anthem tech support, I hear they are very good.

On the target screen the only thing you should have to change is the Max EQ frequency, the rest should be determined by what you entered for speakers in the system and the results of the measurements. ARC will do all the rest. One note, I have never used ARC on a Triton system with the LFE cables connected to both speakers and sub set to "yes" so I have no idea how it will interpret and EQ the speakers in that configuration.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Amp/Pre-Pro/Receiver advice