file Best surround speakers matched to Triton 1/SC XL?

• A.J.'s Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
A.J. Posted 9 years 10 months ago
I think I originally posted this tot the wrong forum (Triton Towers), so I am reposting here as this seems more appropriate. Sorry!

Hi all! new here to the GoldenEar Forums. I really like the Triton 1 and SuperCenter XL combo for front array, but am getting mixed opinions on the correct surround speakers for this set up. Should I use the Aon 3's or the the SuperSat 60's? Also, is the SuperCenter XL the best choice for the center channel, or should that be changed to the SuperSat 60?

I appreciate any and all help with this!

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I am powering all speakers through a Marantz SR7009. No additional amp. Not planning on using an external sub, just the subs in the Triton 1's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• warr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 22
warr Posted 9 years 10 months ago
I have the T1's / XL / and T7's as my surrounds. I think its great set up; especially if you listen to a lot of 5 channel music/concerts. At some point I will be adding another set of rears. My decision will be either another set of T1's for the surrounds and move the T7's to the rear or add another set of T7's. If you have the room/space then certainly consider this set up - I have no regrets!

On another note; I lifted my T7's about 16" to match the height of the T1's. This also allows the T7 speakers to clear the rear of the couch. When listening to 5 channel music/concerts I find that I enjoy the rear speakers to be about the same height as the fronts much more than the speakers being up high. Movies sound great as well.

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, A.J.

Wow, that is quite a set up! I had not even considered the T7's for the rears/surrounds. Glad to hear that you are enjoying them and I appreciate the response. This of course makes my decision even harder! Lol.

Hey Mark, quick question on your setup. Do you have your T7's aimed toward the couch (directly facing your ears as you sit on the couch), or do you have them facing forward toward the front speakers? Thanks again!

A.J.

• warr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 22
warr Posted 9 years 10 months ago
I have the 7's positioned just slightly behind me and the speakers are directed/pointed to my ears. I have my 1's toed in as well and directed/pointing to my ears as well. My 7's are almost the same distance as the 1's are from me (the 7's a bit closer).

Everything is temporary because I will be staring a new home build and I designed a home theater room. The 2nd row will be about 18" higher than the front row. This will position the 7's at about the same height as my 1's. In the mean time, I am using cinder blocks to raise the 7's 18" to give the same effect. They sound really really good!

I use to have the M&K s150 and ss250 (basically the same speaker all the way around). This has been a really nice system as well. I have had several homes in which I utilized these speakers. 2 homes I had the surrounds at ear level like the fronts and another I had to hang them high (I really had no choice). Hands down I prefer the ear level set up. This is mainly why I chose the 7's for my rears. Movies seem to be good with speakers ear level or up high but music/concerts (I find) is much more enjoyable at ear level. I think the trick is being able to distance your surrounds similar to the fronts - in other words, I'm not sure that I would care for the surrounds being too close to me - in that case I would probably choose to hang some satellites for my surrounds.

One more thought about the speakers being ear level for movies - I was watching Hunger Games Catching Fire the other night and when you heard the bushes moving behind you they sounded more natural because that sound came from the proper location instead of hearing the bushes move up high on the wall -same with doors opening, etc. I use to work on the Universal Studios lot and had the opportunity to sit in on some movie mixing sessions. Most of the time they were mixing with speakers at ear level - not sure if that means anything but kind of makes sense to copy their set up.

Hope that made sense.

p.s. - and yes, I will be adding Invisa ceiling speakers for the ATMOS stuff - why not???

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, A.J.

Mark, thanks again for the thorough explanation! That is really nice that you get to design a home theater room. I would love to have a dedicated room, but that will have to wait until I hit the lottery! I think that I will go with the T7's for the rears for now based on your experience. That should give a little more punch than the Ion 3's in the rear.

I too will by trying to add the Invisa 650's, but only one pair :( for the Atmos surround. I listened to an Atmos demo today and it was incredible! Bonus is they were using my same receiver for the demo (Marantz SR7009), so I got a true taste of what it should be capable of. Now if we could only get some Atmos movies to go with it..... ;)

Thanks again for the input, you have been a great help!

A.J.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Best surround speakers matched to Triton 1/SC XL?