file Best surround speakers matched to Triton 1/SC XL?

• A.J.'s Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
A.J. Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Ok, here is the new system all set up! Still breaking in the speakers, but they do sound great! I have noticed a pretty big difference in the sound since starting the break in process after installing. They just keep getting better! I am especially impressed with the Triton 7's as they sound really incredible for a passive speaker. Too bad they just announced the upcoming release of the Triton 5's or I would have gotten those! Oh well, maybe one day! ;)

I included a couple of photos to show how things are set up. So with everything installed, we have the following:
Receiver: Marantz SR7009
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Power Conditioner: Panamax M5300-PM
Front Speakers: GE Triton 1
Center Speaker: GE Triton SC XL
Rear Speakers: GE Triton 7
Front Height Speakers: Polk Audio OWM3
Rear Ceiling Speakers: GE Invisa 650
Also connected are a PS3, Cable Box, and Sony BD Player.

Movies really come alive with this set up! Music is excellent as well, but the T1's will definitely let you know if your source material is bad or not! Using CD's for the music (vs. streaming) really lets the speakers shine. I can't afford a high end LP, especially after getting these speakers!

Bass is incredible from the T1's. I guess they should be with 1600 watts each! The control knob on the rear is set just above the minimum, and it is still super strong. I can't imagine turning them even to the half way point. They would shake every picture off the walls!

Anyway, I am enjoying them to the fullest and am very happy with my decision! Happy listening to you all!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, fredting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Nice setup, looks great - thanks for sharing!!

Corner placement (boundary gain) is leading to the big bass levels - that's the nice thing about having that level control on your Triton Ones to adjust for that placement. You might want to try pulling the Ones forward just a smidgen and toeing them in towards the center. You might want to try toeing in the rears as well. Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, A.J.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi A. J.
Thanks for coming back to us with not only a report but pics as well!!!!
Good for you, it looks like a super setup!!!!!
I think the Moderator Dude made some good, valid comments, somethings you might try to improve the sound a bit. He is good like that!!!!
I was wondering, with the height speakers and rear surround invisa speakers, are you doing Atmos? Or just a 9.0 surround? IF I remember, that Marantz does not do Atmos but can create a front height channel. If that is what you are using, how do you like it?
I will give you more time to play more music and movies, but we would love to hear more after things are broken in and you have more experience with your SWEET System!!!!!
Enjoy the wonderful setup,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, A.J.

A.J. Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Hey there Wayne! So sorry for the late reply. Been quite busy over here dealing with a car accident.

In regards to the Atmos, when I set up my speakers the receiver walked me through everything and assigned the internal amps properly for front height, rear ceiling speaker set up. The SR7009 does do the Atmos decoding. For an additional $200 (Yikes!), you can also download a firmware update that will also have it handle the Auro-3D encoding as well.

I have tested movies that use Atmos surround sound encoding (I only own 3 that do) vs. those with the various DTS or other Dolby encoding. In all honesty, I don't think that my ears can discern the different from one encoding to the other when using the full 9.2 array. Maybe my ears are just not that acute, or maybe there isn't really that big of a difference after all. Either way, it sounds quite incredible, so I am not complaining. I would have done the full 4 ceiling Atmos array, but that would have required another amplifier (the SR7009 can only handle 9 channels alone, requires another amp for power to more channels) which I just can't afford right now. Even then, Atmos was created to process 128 channels of sound that can be routed to up to 64 speakers. That is great for a movie theater that can actually put such an array of ceiling speakers above the audience, but I just don't think that translating this decoding down to 4 or 2 ceiling speakers (or Atmos enabled speakers) will really make that much of a difference at home. That is my humble opinion at least.

That being said, I am very happy with my current array of speakers. I took the advice of the moderator and toed in all speakers a bit more. They were actually toed in, but it doesn't look like it in the photos. Now they are pretty much aimed at the prime listening spot on the love seat. Sound seems to have improved overall and imaging has improved for 2 channel listening as well.

One day I would hope to upgrade the Polk height speakers to something from GoldenEar as well, but that will have to wait for a later time. All in all, the system sounds great and I love it. If you are thinking about Atmos, personally, now that I have it, I could certainly live without it. If you have a nice 5, 7, or especially 9 channel system, I think you will be happy with the sound already, regardless of the source encoding. Of course, more speakers never hurt! ;)

Happy listening to you all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Thanks A. J.
I hope you and your family are alright? Anybody hurt in the car accident?
Thanks for the report, and I am very happy for you to enjoy your system so much!!!!
I would not have minded to try out front height or wide speakers, but could never be bothered, even though my present processor can handle them. I am happy with 7.1 right now. And I can't see me going with Atmos either.
Never say never, but I doubt it.
Thanks to confirm my suspicions about that.
Happy listening, enjoy the tunes and movies,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

A.J. Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Thanks Wayne. Yes, we are all ok. I was driving and my 11 year old was in the back seat in the middle. Small car, Ford Focus. A man ran a red light at 55mph and T-boned our car. Needless to say the car is totaled. Most fortunately, my little girl escaped with some bruises and a cut. I am still fortunate, but suffered a fractured rib, concussion, and extensive bruises and cuts. All in all, we are both ok, so I am thankful as it could have been much worse. I included one photo of our car that kind of tells all there is to say. Thanks for the concern!

Take care,
A.J.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Best surround speakers matched to Triton 1/SC XL?