file Triton 1 Static / Wind Noise

• raywindu's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
raywindu Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by raywindu. info_outline
Hi All,

I've seen a couple of posts where this is the subwoofer, but in this case it still happens when the subwoofer is unplugged. Has been doing this on an off ever since I put in a Furman Line Conditioner a month or so ago. At first it was NOT plugged into line conditioner, but now it is, and still making the noise. Brought my Parasound A21 to the repair shop, since I thought it was that, but was NOT the issue. Anyone else run into this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Hi raywindu, If the static/wind noise heard from these towers occurs even when the towers are unplugged from the AC outlet, it's safe to say their built-in subwoofer amplifiers are not the problem. If you're hearing these bad sounds from the passive midrange and tweeter sections of these towers, most likely these bad sounds are being sent to the towers - and the towers are simply playing these bad sounds.

If your Parasound amplifier isn't causing the problem, it might be an interference issue. Wireless devices (such as routers, access points, and Wi-Fi extenders) can sometime cause static sounds. If you have a wireless device near your main amplifier (or sound sources), you might try temporarily unplugging these wireless devices and see (or hear) what happens. Otherwise, you might try disconnecting different components in your system "one by one" to see if these bad sounds only appear when one particular component is connected or plugged into your system. Good Luck!

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Hi raywindu. Everyone with an audio system worthy of any consideration strives for a "black" background (i.e. lowest noise floor possible, ideally no noise floor). Once that is achieved, one still must contend with their quiescent noise floor.

Given the problem, as you've described it, at face value it would appear your Furman line conditioner is the cause. Try removing that from the chain. Additional troubleshooting techniques could include determining if it's the same sound from both speakers or just one, plugging the speakers into a different circuit, and plugging the speakers into a different amp. Has any other electrical device in your home been installed? Whether yes or no, try unplugging other electronics, especially if it's on the same circuit breaker.

Even with the speakers unplugged, I believe this only means that the woofers are not powered by the internal amp. I'm not sure that means it completely deactivates the woofers from passing any kind of sound (such as vibration). Also, I assume there is no music playing when you hear this "wind noise". If the wind noise is so low that you have to have your ear right up to and in contact with the front grill in order to hear it, this is - unfortunately - somewhat normal, albeit undesirable.

Ah! This just dawned on me as I was about to submit this post.... Try this... Use a shorting plug on the LFE input of both speakers (assuming you're not using the input). If you are using the input, disconnect the input and try a shorting plug anyway. I've installed shorting plugs on ALL unused inputs (amp, speakers, whatever) and it does make a difference!

Hope this helps.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by GDHAL. Reason: Adding info info_outline
Hi raywindu. I'd like to add some clarity to my previous post. You're indicating "Static / Wind Noise". In my view it would be (unfortunately) "normal" - if the speakers and an amplifier connected to them are powered on - to hear very faint "static" coming from the tweeter, and very faint "wind noise" coming from the woofer. By this I mean you would have to place your ear within a few inches of the driver to hear those noises.

So, if any of those noises are heard from the listening position then there is an issue. Also, if those noises are emanating from a driver other than what I've posted that too is an issue. For example, you shouldn't hear "static" coming from the woofer nor should you hear "wind noise" coming from the tweeter.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFluffyWalrus

• MrFluffyWalrus's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
MrFluffyWalrus Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Hmmmm..interesting to say the least.
I have been trying to get to the bottom of this issue myself - noticed it getting worse slowly over time and not sure what to make of it yet. I have original Triton Ones, connected (speaker wire only) to an NAD M33, the only inputs on that are digital from an OPPO BD player and to phono from a Rega P6 - both were disconnected once I started to try and trace this noise.

Notes:
I get the, 'low wind' noise in both bass sections, more pronounced on the left channel.
This sound is not there initially if I have the wall switches to the subs off and then switch them on (amp NOT on at this point)
Once turning on the NAD again, not there. Play music from any source, including streaming and NAS files then the 'rush' noise is there.
Pause music - rush noise is there

I can hear this from my listening position about 2.3m away, and so is quite annoying during quiet passages or delicate instrumentals - and as said, it's more pronounced in the left. I have disconnected all amp inputs, changed out power cords from stock to Isoteks and back, changed wall outlet sources, changed circuits completely, used carbon choke rings, disconnected fridges, aircons, microwaves and lamps. Have not yet bought and tried shorting caps on all inputs.

I do have another very old amp but is hard to access (think piles of stored stuff and heavy boxes blocking it :laugh: :laugh: but I guess I will go down that route as well...sigh.
NAD M33 - Rega P6/Ortofon Quintet Bronze - Oppo BDP 105 - GoldenEar Triton One - Gaia II iso feet - IsoTek EVO 3 power cords and power boards - some wire...

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 11 months ago
Hi MrFluffyWalrus, As you are hearing this static/wind Noise from your towers, I would recommend unplugging the towers from the AC outlet. If this bad sound stops, there's a good chance the amplifier built-into the tower (or towers) is creating this static/wind noise. In this case, I would recommend contacting GoldenEar's customer service department (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 1-949-800-1805 M-F 9-5:30 Eastern Time). They can help you obtain service/replacement parts for your towers.

If the static/wind noise continues (even when the towers are not plugged into an AC outlet), most likely, there's something else in your system creating this bad sound. Good Luck!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 Static / Wind Noise