file New old stock Triton 2

• roni44's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 14
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
roni44 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by roni44. info_outline
Hi everyone, just got a pair of T2 over the weekend and looking for some advise.

Start playing with the placement, does anyone have idea what's general rule for how far away from the back wall? and how long does take T2 to properly burn-in?

My current equipment: MacBook Pro, Audio GD DI-20 USB converter, Micromega M100 Integrated amp connected by WireWorld.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Hi roni44

Sorry you haven't had a response yet. Nice set-up!!

Your T2's appear to be a good distance from the back wall, maybe at last 3'? That should be plenty. My Triton towers are less far back than that.

It looks like the T2's are aimed directly back? If so, I'd suggest toeing them in some to aim at the listening position. That will further improve imaging.

Re burn-in, IF these speakers have not been played before, then at least 50-60 hours of playing with a variety of music including lots of dynamic and frequency range, and at sound levels enough to give the drivers some "exercise" should get you started.

Enjoy your new system!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Hi Rick,

Much appreciate your reply. Both speakers including the replacement are NIB, so I guess I got another week or two before their are properly burn in.

I did toe-in speakers after picture was taken, and very close to equilateral triangle as recommended by most GE users here. Unfortunately, left speaker is placed in corner and other speaker is open area, therefore I'm getting more low bass presence from left and I'm still trying to balance out the bass output between both speakers.

Myself have always been a Martin Logan fan for many years, starting back in 90s I've owned just about every pair of ML at that time, my last pair was a smallest ML electrostatic which I sold few months ago, an opportunity came up for me to purchase old stock of T2 and here we are.

Tony
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
That seems a good start on speaker placement, Tony. It does take some experimenting to find what works best in any room's acoustic environment.

I have a similar bass balancing issue with just one wall partly open. It took a bit of fine tuning, lowering the bass output on the speaker in the corner, raising the output on the other a little at a time, but they seem well balanced after the adjustments. Those bass dials give a pretty easy way to even things out.

How's the set-up sound so far?

Enjoy!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by charliehatch. Reason: Clarification info_outline
Hi roni44!

Some additional thoughts. Your floor looks like tile in the picture. Hard acoustic surfaces can create stronger reflections that can muddy the imaging. Also, they increase room reverberation time and can increase the amplitude of standing waves (room modes). I would suggest putting a rug with a thick pad on the floor between the speakers and your listening position. You may also want to put some absorbers on the walls at the primary reflection points. Some also treat reflection points at the ceiling. These are great long-term projects to experiment with.

Also, on initial speaker placement, I put my TRefs in positions that minimize excitation of room modes. It worked very well for me and they haven't moved much from those positions.

I used these locations, which you might try as starting points.

Front to back. Put the speaker driver plane at 20% of the front/back room length from the front wall.
Left to right. Put the driver planes 20% of the room width dimension from the left and right walls.
Ceiling: Tough luck! I haven't found a way to deal with that one, but I have a slanted ceiling that helps a lot.

I have my listening position 60% of the front/back room length from the front wall (40% from the rear wall). And, it's in the middle of the room (L/R). It also works out that this setup in my room (20 ft x 15 ft) gives me a nearly equilateral triangle with the speakers and listening position.

Have fun!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Hi Rick and Charlie ,

So far I think the speaker placement and both speaker's bass balance are pretty good, currently I have the rubber feet and will be replacing with the supplied spike shortly.

I am hesitate to give my opinion just yet since burn-in still in progress and there are few things I want to add before I decide if T2 is a keeper or not. Heavy rug is on the way, going to test different power cord and Isoacoustics GAIA feet and possible better speaker wires.

Here is my initial observation:

Positive: Really world bass, in my current room, I don't think I will ever need to add another power sub for both music and video. Bass is tight, room filing, and blends' very well with rest of the drivers. Imaging is excellent, and unbelievable at this price point. Sound stage is very nice and big, while not as big as ML stat, but still damn good. While ML stat are very good, dynamic is not one of their strength, so it's refreshing to have such dynamic sound in my system.

Negative: Well, I shouldn't say negative since I'm still in the dial in phrase, what I am missing are depth, micro detail, mid-bass and sweetness of high. I think after further tweaking should take care most of them. And I've been accustomed to ML stat for so many years, I need to reset myself and appreciate conventional drivers has to offer.

I do have to say Goldenear has done an amazing job and incredible value bring Triton to the market, I'm still in disbelief T2 retailed 2500~3000 back in the days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New old stock Triton 2