file Triton 3+ vs Triton 1

• rockdawg's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rockdawg Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by rockdawg. info_outline
I currently have a pair of Triton 3+ and I absolutely love them except I would like some more output. I have a 14'x24'x8' theater and they are powered by a Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 which is 275 watts/channel. I had a a gentleman highly regarded on AVS forums calibrate my audio (via my Marantz AV7702mkII) and he was not able to get them to play at reference level without breaking up. While I am mostly watching movies and concert videos, I do also sometimes sit and listen to 2 channel music which is why I chose an audiophile speaker like these.

But sometimes I love to sit and crank out a good metal concert Blu-Ray (like Metallica's Through the Never) and when I start cranking it up there I'll get a pop from the mid range driver before I'm quite where I want to be. I'm assuming I'm just hitting the limitations on the Triton 3+.

My question is - would the Triton 1 give appreciably better output before hitting it's wall? I am not able to find any output ratings for GoldenEar's speakers.

I should mention that I have separate subs in my theater so I'm I'm not as interested in the speakers' additional output below 80hz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi rockdawg,

The Triton One can go louder than the Triton Three+ mostly because of having more and larger midranges and woofers that allow the speaker to move more air. Your best bet is to go hear a pair of Triton Ones and see if they play loud enough for those times when you want to rock. But remember... these are not PA speakers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockdawg

I get that these aren't PA speakers. First and foremost I am very happy with these speakers. They sound great and everyone who has heard them comments on that fact. If no other GE speaker would provide much more output then I would just leave well enough alone and be happy with my 3+s.

I am just trying ascertain if upgrading would yield noticeable improvements in that department. I would even go so far as to consider the One.Rs but I don't want to drop the coin only to find that maybe they go a little louder. I'm not looking to set any db records just gain some output and keep that lovely GE sound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Additionally, I am looking to at leastbe able to achieve THX reference level which my 3+ system currently can not do.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Sorry if I came off as smart-alecky with the PA comment, it was only in jest.

Seriously, the Triton One or One.R will play significantly louder without breakup and the Triton Reference can outdo those two. If you can, visit a dealer and play your music at the levels you want with these different models. If you opt for something larger than the Three+, you can use the Three+ for surround speakers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Moderator wrote:
Seriously, the Triton One or One.R will play significantly louder without breakup and the Triton Reference can outdo those two. If you can, visit a dealer and play your music at the levels you want with these different models. If you opt for something larger than the Three+, you can use the Three+ for surround speakers.

Thanks, Moderator Dude!

First comparison I've seen between the T Ref and the One.R. I've wondered..., and would have expected the larger drivers, amps and radiators of the T Ref to make SOME difference.

Rockdawg, I've had the T1's and T Ref's, but not the One.R's. And haven't heard them. As a reference, either the T1's or T Ref's can play 100+ dB, THX reference level without breaking a sweat, IMO. :) I can "shake the rafters" with either or both. I completely agree with Moderator, audition the models you'd like! Every step up will give you more....

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 3+ vs Triton 1