file Triton 3+ vs Triton 1

• rockdawg's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rockdawg Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by rockdawg. info_outline

Moderator wrote: Sorry if I came off as smart-alecky with the PA comment, it was only in jest.

Seriously, the Triton One or One.R will play significantly louder without breakup and the Triton Reference can outdo those two. If you can, visit a dealer and play your music at the levels you want with these different models. If you opt for something larger than the Three+, you can use the Three+ for surround speakers.

No, no! Not at all. I didn't mean for my response to seem like I took you that way. Just trying to say that I am aware that what I am looking for is almost anti-audiophile. It's something I always battle. I like a lot of hard rock and metal music which we all know isn't usually mastered well or very revealing when it is. But I like it nonetheless and sometimes I like it loud. Knowing this dichotomy when I purchased my speakers I chose to err on the audiophile side of the spectrum because I appreciate that more, if I have to choose. Ultimately though, like most of us, I never stop searching for my ideal.

At the end of the day I went to my local (about an hour away) dealer yesterday and demoed the One.R's (didn't have any T1s). Couldn't really get him to crank them up much but I didn't push it because he has another business down stairs which was open and thought that may be why. I immediately fell in love with the sound of the One.Rs and purchased a pair. They were out of stock so I won't have them until later next week. Hopefully they will provide that little bit extra I am looking for! Now I have to fight the urge to also buy the new Reference center but I am going to wait until I hear how the regular XXL sounds with them. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

If anyone is looking for a used set of T3+s I now have set I will be selling. LOL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Good choice, Rockdawg!!!

After you get them set up and broken in some, let us know how the One.R's sound and whether they satisfy your occasional desire to "play it loud" (I'm betting they will). :)

Happy listening!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• rockdawg's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
rockdawg Posted 5 years 4 months ago
I picked up my One.Rs today and they are a big upgrade over my Triton 3+. Definitely more output. We played the movie Bumble Bee at -2 tonight and it was awesome! Previously I would stop at -6 for fear of the mains breaking up. Nothing like that tonight and I'm sure I could have gone higher. The highs are so clear and non-piercing (is that a word?). I am in love!

I also listened to some 2 channel audio in full range and the bass on these babies is amazing. I love to listen to Michael Jackson's Speed Demon for a demo and previously I would feel the need to enable my external subs. Not today with the One.Rs! I definitely felt some chest pounding bass from the towers alone. Never once felt the need to enable my external subs. Totally engaging! I am in love with these speakers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Glad you're enjoying your new One.R's, Rockdawg!!!

Yeah, three bass drivers vs. one, four radiators vs. 2, 2 mid bass drivers vs. one (and larger), a Reference grade HVFR tweeter, double the amp rating vs. the T3+'s (also fine speakers)... you have yourself some serious audiophile equipment in the One.R's!!! And some serious bass and sound level horsepower.

Enjoy! They'll keep getting better with some break in time. :)

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Bwaze's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
Bwaze Posted 5 years 4 months ago
So, how's the One.R for thrash metal?

:laugh:

I must say I was quite surprised when I bought my Goldenear Triton One, comparing them to my previous speakers, XTZ 99.36 Mk II. XTZ were much cheaper, but had quite fancy Seas units in them:

I imagined Goldenear would beat them in the bass section - which it easily did. But there was a big change in midrange and high frequencies too. At first Goldenear sounded a bit softer and less detailed - until I realized they are missing a lot of distortion that XTZ produced, and it is noticeable even on less than stellar production on metal albums. With Goldenear you simply hear more of the recording, it's much easier to follow specific instruments - even on the anti-audiophile produced black metal albums! :)
"Pezzer Ritter Wenne Chnecht!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 3+ vs Triton 1