file Recommendation for a 2 channel amp upgrade

• donyue's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
donyue Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Thanks Rick for your response.

It is very helpful to have your input about the NAD 275 BEE amp. As you have indicated, I very much appreciate having the helpful feedback of the members on this forum.

The unfortunate reality is that my audiophile hobby has budget limits hence the original reference to the purchase of a USED Bryston 4B SST. What I am currently looking for is an amplifier to replace my 15+ year NAD C270. I realize there are many very good amplifiers on the market, however spending lots more money on a new amp compared to the cost of my Triton T3 towers doesn't make the most sense to me. To me, it is about the getting the most audio performance from the equipment that I can afford. I am in agreement that a new upgraded DAC would also have a significant impact on the overall sound quality. However right now the NAD C270 is the oldest component making up my system so I feel it should be replaced.

If budget were not a concern then the exercise would be simple. I would visit the dealers and ask them to bring the best equipment they can source, setup their system for an audition in my selected listening room and I would choose my favorites to complete the system.

To me the quest to achieve better sound quality never ends, it is part of the joyous journey. I've been purchasing, listening, and upgrading equipment for over 35 years and each major upgrade to the industry brings new and exciting features to look forward to. As an example, this year I have also upgraded my old plasma TV to a new 4K OLED 65 inch. I am loving the great picture, technology, and new features....

Once again, thanks everyone for their input on this post it is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Aha! I missed the USED Bryston part. That does make a big difference!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Hi, Don

I think you have your priorities and budget well in sight. Cost effectively replacing an aging amp makes sense.

The speakers are the ultimate limiting factor in how far the sound quality envelope can be expanded. You are keeping a good proportionality between the investment in speakers and supporting gear. Hope you find a good replacement amp that suits your budget, and adds to your listening enjoyment!

Several folks have mentioned how important the quality of the source is. I agree. A fairly low cost step in upgrading what the current DAC in your Marantz SR 6012 can do is to try a better power cord. A good power cord helps the DAC do it's job better by helping to clean up the power side. Several forum members have had good success with an Audience Forte F3 power cord ($150 at on line retailers like Dedicated Audio). Lots of comments on the Power Cord thread re what works where (sources seem to benefit the most). Just a thought for when you consider some next steps you may want to try.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Recommendation for a 2 channel amp upgrade