• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Hey Don:
If money is an issue, perhaps an Adcom amp would meet your needs.

I've owned 2 Adcom GFA-555 ll since the early nineties. They still work and sound great after all these years. They are a Nelson Pass design.

The updated version of the GFA-555 ll is the GFA-555se with 200 watts. If more watts are needed you can move up the line with the GFA-565se or the GFA-575se.

And they are on Sale...
adcom.com/allproduct.php
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donyue's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
donyue Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Hi Anthem,

Thanks for the Adcom recommendation. I thought they had gone out of business, but apparently not. Back in the old days they were considered decent for the money. Looks like the GFA-565se might just work while I plan the next upgrade to Golden Ear reference towers and Bryston mono blocks. As an interim solution if I get the Adcom on sale I can probably use it for a year or two and still resell it for a reasonable amount. The GFA-555se, 565se, and 575se seem to be as good or better than the NAD or Marantz amps that I was considering.

Thanks again.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Don,

I'm a little late here, but I'm running Bel Canto REF600M monoblocks. These are Class D amps that will push 300 Wpc into 8 ohms, 600 into 4. They have a fantastic sound and cost around $5k per pair. You can read a Stereophile review of these amps here: www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-eo...600m-power-amplifier

For the very best sound, I also recommend you look at your interconnects and speaker cables; I don't know what you are running, but cables can make a big difference, as can upstream power, as I've discovered to my pocketbook dismay.

I have come to believe that amp output impedance is also important for getting the best bass "slam", not just power. The Bel Cantos have a very low output impedance of 8 milliohms (damping factor in to 8 ohm load is 1000). Cables are part of this picture too.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Don

Lots of good input all around.... I've kind of stayed away from recommending particular amps for GEt speakers. The reason is I've tried multiple amps with these speakers, and GOOD amps all sound great with GEt's. Period. And it's the speakers that deliver what the amps send. Folks love their Brystons, McIntosh's, Bel Cantos, Parasounds, Emotivas, Primalunas etc. etc. etc. And, yes, I love my ATi 525 NC amp also (NCore technology).

IMO it's more about the quality of the amp than it's particular watt rating. Powered Tritons like yours are pretty darn efficient. Tube amps with less wattage can shine with powered Tritons.. As can class A, A/B, or D. For class D amps, I do lean toward Class D's with NCore or ICE technologies.

I think it's more about what works for your ears that counts. The GEt speakers will deliver whatever SQ you send them. Just be willing to spend a little time finding what's best for you, and I applaud your efforts to do just that! :)

There's no wrong answers here. I had the NAD 275 BEE amp for a few years. A good amp also, and a step above the C270 you have.

Any step up you take with amps quality wise, the GEt's will reward you.

Have fun and happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timecop, charliehatch

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Agree with rjohn - clean power is clean power, so send the best info to your speakers (which is why I always recommend a good DAC)
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• Steveo's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 5 years 8 months ago
I also have a pair of bel canto ref 600m

When I was searching and comparing I asked a dealer about this compared to another brand whci h I removed the name. He mentioned this

"Greetings Steve –

This is an *easy one*…

The Bel Canto, by a country mile.

The 600M is the best sounding amp we have, under

$15000, full stop, regardless of size. I’d have a pair in

A micro second if I wasn’t moving towards a more or

Less integrated solution – like a Bel Canto Black EX or

A Naim Nova.

To clarify my response: They’re both very good, very

Detailed products. The (name removed) , like most amps in it’s

Class, trades leading-edge detail for musicality, offering

A ton of resolution and microdynamic ability, but with

A touch of dryness compared to reference-class amps.

The Bel Canto’s give you everything. They’re enormous

In their sense of depth and scale – and have all the rich,

Harmonically complex warmth of a reference-class tube

Solution – but with the grip and precision of a top class

A/B amp.

It’s not even close"

I will say however that I find amps in some way, makes the least difference to sound quality compared to other things like your source, speaker cables, room/speaker correction, dacs and power cables to some extent. Upgrading the speakers themselves would make the most difference I would say.

Depending on your budget I would say a jump to t2+ or t1-r even would be a much bigger jump in sound, even keeping your same amps. I realise that jump would be more expensive but it may give you more of that sound you were looking for. All goldenears are pretty efficient, so they don't utilise all the power of heavy amps anyway.

If I were you I would ask your dealer to bring home an upgraded amp to try against what you have. If you can swing it, ask for a higher Goldenear speaker to try with what you have and see what you think. It's your ears and I know from experience your mileage may vary.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch, WashedUpAudio

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Recommendation for a 2 channel amp upgrade