file Triton Bass Management With LFE Connection

• Stephen1254's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Stephen1254 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
I spent the day installing a tactile transducer in my listening chair. The installation was pretty easy, but getting it to work was an ordeal. I have it working and am quite impressed. Along the way, I learned something.

By setting all my speakers to "Small," and enabling the subwoofer, I'm now able to get all five of my subwoofers going when I play 2 channel stereo music. I get all five subwoofers playing when I play anything, in any listening mode. I'm quite happy.

Now Sandy says in his setup tips to always run the T One's as "large." If I have this figured this out correctly, by crossing over the T One's at 80 hz, I'm not losing any content - the same speaker is playing the full range, but my processor is setting the crossover. Is there a downside to this speaker arrangement?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hi Stephen,

I'm glad to learn that you are experimenting with your gear and the various system settings available to you. GE encourages you to always send the full-range signal (speakers set to "Large" or "Full-Range") to any of the Triton Series speakers so that their crossover networks can perform the division of frequencies among the various speakers within the cabinets.

Your approach is certainly a viable alternative. In my opinion, there is no one absolutely correct way to approach this issue. My advice is to try the approaches available to you and listen to the results, then choose the one you like the most. There are so many variables in any audio setup that, again in my opinion, there cannot possibly one approach which will always produce the "best sound".

To evaluate as you go along, I encourage you to pick out several pieces of music which emphasize the various sound elements in which you are most interested and then use those recordings to evaluate your different setup approaches.

Happy listening and experimenting.

Art

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 1 month ago

Stephen1254 wrote: Sandy says in his setup tips to always run the T One's as "large." If I have this figured this out correctly, by crossing over the T One's at 80 hz, I'm not losing any content - the same speaker is playing the full range, but my processor is setting the crossover. Is there a downside to this speaker arrangement?

Crossing over the Triton One speaker (Small setting) and using the Triton's sub-in below that crossover frequency, wherever that crossover is set, will yield unpredictable results. It will not yield the designed-performance of the speaker and I can 100% guarantee you it will not sound as good or "correct" for high fidelity music playback. That said, all that matters is whether you like it. You paid for it.

Moderator wrote:

Stephen1254 wrote: Sandy says in his setup tips to always run the T One's as "large." If I have this figured this out correctly, by crossing over the T One's at 80 hz, I'm not losing any content - the same speaker is playing the full range, but my processor is setting the crossover. Is there a downside to this speaker arrangement?

Crossing over the Triton One speaker (Small setting) and using the Triton's sub-in below that crossover frequency, wherever that crossover is set, will yield unpredictable results. It will not yield the designed-performance of the speaker and I can 100% guarantee you it will not sound as good or "correct" for high fidelity music playback. That said, all that matters is whether you like it. You paid for it.

Could you expand on what you said a bit? What do you mean by "unpredictable results," "will not yield the designed performance," and will not sound as "good or correct?" I'm not arguing or even disagreeing, I just want to better understand what you are saying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hello Again Stephen,

My earlier post notwithstanding, I agree with the Moderator's response above. I conducted extensive listening tests using a combined speaker/LFE input combination. While I could gain considerably more bass using the combined approach, eventually I decided that the resultant overall sound was just not as musical as when driving my Ones with just speaker outputs and using the Ones' LFE Level control to adjust the bass level.

I have set the One's LFE levels for suitable musical bass at my normal listening volume levels. When I must listen at lower volume levels, I add additional bass by bringing my Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub into play. I can turn this sub off and on independently of the Tritons.

I have long since settled on this approach for just the very reason that the Moderator suggested -- best musical sound from my Ones at normal listening volume and a bit of augmented bass when needed at lower overall listening volume.

Perhaps you can try this approach in your setup.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

ArthurDaniels wrote: Hello Again Stephen,

My earlier post notwithstanding, I agree with the Moderator's response above. I conducted extensive listening tests using a combined speaker/LFE input combination. While I could gain considerably more bass using the combined approach, eventually I decided that the resultant overall sound was just not as musical as when driving my Ones with just speaker outputs and using the Ones' LFE Level control to adjust the bass level.

I have set the One's LFE levels for suitable musical bass at my normal listening volume levels. When I must listen at lower volume levels, I add additional bass by bringing my Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub into play. I can turn this sub off and on independently of the Tritons.

I have long since settled on this approach for just the very reason that the Moderator suggested -- best musical sound from my Ones at normal listening volume and a bit of augmented bass when needed at lower overall listening volume.

Perhaps you can try this approach in your setup.

Best,

Art

Hi Art - Thank you for the response. I'm still in the early stages of working with these new speakers. My bass situation is somewhat different than yours. I'm not using all five subs to increase the bass level, but because I find all five subs to produce a noticeably smoother response in the bass. Each sub is level matched, and the level is the same, as measured by my SPL meter, whether I'm running all five subs or just the bass section of the Triton Ones's.

What I can visualize, is that if the T One's cross over at 100 hz, and my sub crossover is at 80 hz, I may be introducing some artifacts. I'm going to try the sub crossover at 100 hz, and see if I notice a difference.

My Dirac room correction system should tell me if I've introduced and peaks or nulls in the overall bass response. I haven't had a chance to run that, as I' largely limited to tuning on the system on the weekends.

Stephen.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Bass Management With LFE Connection