• Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Stephen

Great system you have!!

As Moderator Dude said, there is no separate LFE signal present in 2 channel (2.0) music. As long as you have your front T1's set as large, (and hopefully your surround T2's also), then the presence of the LFE RCA connections doesn't affect how your receiver routes 2 channel music. The sub out channel is not getting any signal, so removing the LFE connections won't change how the bass in 2 channel music is handled by your receiver.

A way to get the bass section of your T2 surrounds involved is to try some surround options with 2 channel music. Since you have a 7.5.4 set-up, your receiver has a number of surround options, including Dolby surround and probably also DTS:X surround, both of which up mix 2 channel to all channels (except sub pre-out). This would get the bass section of your surround T2's involved, but not your sub. I play most music in Dolby surround and love the added 3D like dimension, and bass support from the surrounds. You may want to give it a try to see what you think.

Trying to wire your sub with the same speaker cable lines as go to your fronts sounds dicey. Others may wish to comment on this.

Good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stephen1254's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
Stephen1254 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Wiring the subwoofer to the mains with speaker wire is actually specified as an option in the subwoofer manual, but it doesn't get the subs in my rear surrounds involved.

I have been playing with the various surround options on my processor, but that has presented its own issues. Dolby Surround produces the best ambiance, but does not engage all of the subs; only the front "Left/Right speakers full range. I'm guessing that this is because of the absence of an LFE signal in 2 channel music.

I don't have DTS:X as an option, although the processor manufacturer has promised this as an upgrade by the end of the year. I do have DTS:Neo 6 Music as an option, and that does engage all five subwoofers but not the ceiling speakers; the ambiance is not as 3D as with Dolby Surround. Maybe the DTS:X upgrade will ultimately be the way to go.

It's interesting that Dolby Surround does not send a signal to the LFE channel when playing 2 channel music, and DTS:Neo 6 Music does. Everything is a compromise....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
When I up mix to DTS:X surround, it actually gets some bass heavy. I prefer Dolby surround, but if you’re looking for some extra bass kick, you’ll probably want to give DTS:X surround a try when the firmware becomes available on your receiver.

Re Dolby Surround, if your surround T2’s are set as large, then whatever bass content is in those channel’s signals will be processed and played by the 2’s bass section. Again, no LFE from sub out, but full range content via the speaker cables.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Stephen1254's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
Stephen1254 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hi Rick - I see what you are saying about Dolby Surround. My surrounds are getting a full range signal but it is in an ambiance channel, which is why it seems like there is no subwoofer output. The DTS:X upgrade may be the way to go, although it would be a lot easier if I had some patience!

As an aside I noticed that you have T Ref's as mains and T One's as surrounds. THAT'S a nice setup. I also noticed you use a Supercenter XXL. I have a Supercenter X that was a good match when I had T Two's as my mains, but is a little underwhelming with T One's as my mains. I placed an order for the Supercenter XXL this morning, but it will be 3 to 7 days for delivery. Again, it would be nice if I had some patience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi again Stephen

Yes, I love my speaker set-up. I don't feel bass deprived in any way, shape or form!

Re the Supercenter XXL, with the two extra bass drivers for 500 HZ and down and separate passive radiators, it is very bass competent. I played it at 60 HZ crossover with T1's as mains, went to 80 HZ with the Ref's.

You can play around with best crossover for your system, but the XXL is a mighty fine center however you set it up. Clear as a bell, and it does weigh in on bass.

Have fun and let us know how it sounds!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hi Stephen,

Look at your manual for your AV processor. Look for a setting such as "Double Bass" or "Direct Plus LFE" or something similar. Many AV processors allow you to add an LFE signal to your 2-channel direct audio signal in order to drive your bass speakers separately. If your receiver has such a capability, turning it on will add a large amount of bass to your sound when listening in 2-channel modes, including such modes as "Direct" or "Pure Audio". You will probably want to reduce the bass level on your Ones and Twos LFE settings if you operate in this mode.

Happy Listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Bass Management With LFE Connection