file Missing Bass When Playing Stereo Content

• eXcalibur's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 17
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
eXcalibur Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by eXcalibur. info_outline
When the Triton 2's originally released, it was recommended not to connect the LFE cables and let the speakers manage the bass. When playing stereo 2.0 content, the bass sounded great.

Now I hooked up the LFE cables separately, and the subs sound great when playing 5.1+ content, but the bass sounds like it is missing when playing stereo 2.0 content. If I change my Denon receiver's bass settings to "Main + LFE", then the bass sounds right for stereo content.

So the problem I have is that I have to manually change my receiver's bass settings between"Main" to "Main + LFE" depending on whether I am listening to 2.0 or 5.1+ content.

Is there any harm to simply leaving my bass settings to "Main + LFE" or is this going to add unnecessary bass when listening to 5.1+ mixed content?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Sounds like you do not have the speakers set to Large/Full Range. That would be the only reason they would not play bass on 2.0 source material. LFE+Main is not the correct setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

• eXcalibur's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 17
eXcalibur Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by eXcalibur. info_outline
Thanks for the response - I do have the towers set to full range. When listening to stereo music, there is a noticeable difference in bass when switching between Main and Main+LFE. Perhaps this is an issue with Denon?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Hi eXcalibur,
It is a known issue with Denon, Onkyo and Marantz at least. Several of us here have had (I got rid of my Marantz and Art's Onkyo died) or still have the same issue.
The Moderator Dude continues to disagree.
So here we sit. This is discussed in numerous threads here on the forum.
IMHO you have to do what whatever sounds best to you.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: The Moderator Dude continues to disagree.

Disagree? With what?

Wayne, as a forum member you get to share your opinions without bound. As the Moderator I am required to give out correct information when it relates to GoldenEar products. In this case, I answered eXcalibur's question correctly. If the result of his review of the setup is that his receiver does not function properly, so be it. The fact that this may be a known problem with some receivers is not something I can speak to or confirm.

What you and others are describing is a good workaround setup that you like, but it is still a workaround. We are "working around" the improperly functioning receiver (if that's truly the issue). A workaround is always a compromise and in this case it is compromising the performance of the speaker. There is exactly zero probability that this workaround will result in achieving all the performance the speaker is capable of and designed to achieve.

It goes without saying that everyone can (and should) do whatever THEY like in the setup and configuration of THEIR system, and then enjoy the heck out of it.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, eXcalibur

What seems odd to me is that your Denon apparently delivered full range 2.0 channel bass to your T2's, set as full range, sub off (I.E. no LFE connection for the.1 channel, so it would go direct to large front mains.) A lot of us discovered over time that we could get better .1 LFE bass using sub on and LFE connections, mains still as large. Why? I guess because the receivers did some rolling off of LFE when sent to front mains rather than subs.

BUT if your front mains are still set as large, the only bass content that should be heading down the new sub/LFE channel is .1 stuff, and 2.0 feeds to the T2's should be the same as before. If the Denon is changing bass management via the 2.0 channels with your new set-up, that's not how it's supposed to work.

It may be worth trying the old setting of fronts large, sub off to see if the 2.0 bass reappears, or whether something has gone awry in your receiver. Maybe re-set the fronts as large again in case the receiver is getting a tad stubborn (stuff like that happens! I've had receivers "forget" to play a channel even though it was correctly included in the settings, and only re-setting the controller fixed it.)

Receivers CAN be quirky about bass management, and I do believe that some receivers do in fact roll off bass to front mains set as large, sub off, even in 2.0. But you were happy with the 2.0 bass before adding LFE/sub on!! That should have resulted only in an improvement to .1 LFE bass, and left 2.0 bass management the same as before. I suspect some quirk in your receiver. Never heard of that situation before. (Have any other Denon owners had this experience?)

Good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Missing Bass When Playing Stereo Content