question-circle A couple of amp questions

• secretguy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 25
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
secretguy Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Hi all. Sorry of this has been talked about elsewhere. I have Triton 1s, which are currently powered by my Anthem 225i amp. I'm kicking around trying a tube amp, specifically a Rogue Chronus Magnum. Does anyone have this combination? And, more generally, if an amp is thought to have a "light" bottom end, would this be an issue at all because of the powered subs? Also how much would the amp influence the quality of the bass region, again because of the built in powered subs? Love to hear any thoughts. Thanks in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Rackon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by anthem. info_outline
If "Bass Slam" is important to you, nothing beats an Solid State amp and wattage. Tube amps lack bass detail that is so necessary for a great listening session. Your best bet...keep the Anthem 225 and pair it with a Good Tube Preamp, such as Primaluna or Decware. I think you would have a better listening experience, than with the Rogue.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Rackon

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Hi Secretguy,
I will second what Bro Anthem said and try to offer up a short explanation.
Yes the TOnes have a powerful, powered bass amp built in. So the actual ability to DRIVE the bass section of the TOnes is not dependent on the lead in amp power per se.
BUT,
And here is a trick that Sandy and his magical team have built into the whole Triton powered series, IMHO, they just purely amplify the signal given to them, QUITE/VERY FAITHFULLY!!!! In other words, just as Anthem said, if the input signal is bass LITE then the TOnes will play a louder version of Bass LITE.
It is counter intuitive I guess, but that has been my experience across the T 3s, T 2s and now the TOnes.
And to me it is a wonderful thing!!!!! You love yer amp and the sound it outputs? Then you will love the sound coming outta yer Triton towers!!!!! You want to change the sound out from yer Triton Towers? Then change your amp to get the sound you like, and voila, there it is!!!!!
I use hybrid amps to accomplish the same as Anthem suggested, to get some of the TOOB magic, but still have rich, full, impactful bass. A tube pre amp is another excellent way to go. IF you are into home theater and need a tube pre processor, those are limited in number but do exist and someone on here is extremely happy with his.
Sorry, don't remember the name.
Hope this helps, happy hunting,
God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, Rackon

Thanks, guys. This actually makes me lean more to trying the Chronus. Bass slam is only important to me for movies...I run them with a Denon HT receiver and they kill. For music, they stuff I listen to is not really dependent on big bass.

Actually, the first time I heard T1 at a dealer was with a Chronus. It sounded really great....but, of course the source, cables, and room were totally different then mine.

I have to think about this some more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Rackon

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by secretguy. info_outline
Platinum....You're a trumpet player? You probably know my old boss!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Rackon, HTSME

• Rackon's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 55
Rackon Posted 6 years 10 months ago
If you have a local Rogue dealer, why not see if he would let you audition the Chronus in your system for a weekend - ideally, along with a Rogue pre you could pair with the Anthem's amp section. For years I enjoyed having tubes somewhere in the playback chain, usually via the preamp.The Rogue gear usually responds well to tube swapping, which is always an option for tailoring the sound (if you like the overall presentation of the tube gear with your Ones).

I know there are folks who are very happy with Prima Luna and Rogue tube gear with their Tritons. If you're not listening to head banging music at earsplitting levels, I say give it a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME, secretguy

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers A couple of amp questions