file Triton Reference: Congratulations To GE for the Golden Ear Award from TAS

• stereo5's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stereo5 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline
I would like to congratulate GoldenEar Tech for making such a fine speaker line and for winning the "Golden Ear Award" from The Absolute Sound in September 2017 Issue. Being an owner of both the Triton 1 and now the References, I was especially interested in the comparison between the two since Anthony Cordesman (the reviewer) reviewed the Triton 1 a few years back. He pretty much said what all the other reviewers are saying and as being a Reference owner, his description of their sound is pretty much what others are saying.

It was hard for me to relate to his idea of the sound as Anthony listens to mostly Classical, Chamber music and the like. I listen to Rock and Jazz and Female vocalists. His comments on how it sounds playing this and that meant nothing to me. Only at the end did he say it was "good for Rock"?? I know Mr. Cordsman has been reviewing for a very long time, I only wish they had someone a bit younger on their staff review the speakers so people like myself would have a better understanding of the review and how it relates to what we listen to and what we can expect from the speaker.

I have broken my References in and they are finally exceeding what my Triton Ones were doing. I am now much happier I bought these and I do agree with what Mr Cordsman said when he mentioned they are a truly great speaker. Well done everyone at Golden Ear Technology!!!

Bob
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
I look forward to reading it when available free. I don't pay for music, so I will not pay for information related to music.

Personally, in my opinion if a speaker sounds great, it shouldn't matter what music is played through it to realize its greatness. However, most critical listening for evaluation purposes is performed with classical.

Question... assuming you have the issue, is there any bench measurement data and if so, what does that reveal?

Glad to read things have settled down to your liking. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• stereo5's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
TAS never puts bench testing figures (they don't test) unlike Stereophile which does. I respect what Stereophile says more than TAS. However, the Reference certainly do deserve a Golden Ear Award.. Kudos to Sandy ans Company for making the References.

Ths speakers finally smoothed out. Wife and I were gone for 3 days to Bar Harbor, so I wired one speaker out of phase, placed the speakers close together, facing one another and put on constant repeat the Isotek Burn in CD. I set the levels to peak at 92db and after 3 days of signal sweeps, white noise, etc the speakers sound like they should. There is about 80 hours or so on threm now.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

GDHAL wrote: I look forward to reading it when available free.

They will post it on their website within 30 days or so...

Stereophile review by John Atkinson (who also does all the speaker measurements for Stereophile) coming soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 week ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Moderator. info_outline

Moderator wrote:

They will post it on their website within 30 days or so...

It is posted. From what I can tell, it is *still* (meaning no longer current issue) not free.

This calls for a little Frank Zappa....

"FREE IS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR NOTHING OR DO NOTHING"
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

It is posted. From what I can tell, it is *still* (meaning no longer current issue) not free.

This calls for a little Frank Zappa....

"FREE IS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR NOTHING OR DO NOTHING"

OK, here you go, FREE: www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/golden...ference-loudspeaker/
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, GDHAL

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Reference: Congratulations To GE for the Golden Ear Award from TAS