file Triton 2 vs 2+:

• ckronengold's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ckronengold Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Question that probably has no good answer.

My local dealer has a pair of Triton Twos left for $1200 each. I'm torn between the Two and the Two+. Its a pretty significant discount and I'm having a hard time deciding if its worth the extra ~$1000 to get the Two+ or to use that extra coin towards the SuperCenterXXL or new receiver.

Any thoughts? I know the Two+ is an improvement, but is it enough to pick them over the Two?

They'll be for 75% movies / 25% music, powered by a Marantz 6010.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TechiMan's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
TechiMan Posted 8 years 4 months ago
I was in the same situation two months back, two was available on significant discount and two+ was not available for audition but reviews were telling two+ is similar in sound signature to one...I took the leap of faith and got two+...man they were right, two+ are rocking my home and love the soundstage. I would suggest spend money one time and get two+ and you will not regret your decision later on
My first home theatre..
Triton Two+ fronts
SuperCenter XXL center
SuperSat 50 Surrounds
4 Atmos TBD
Denon X6200W
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Epson home cinema 2045 projector, moving to 4K near future
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe, ckronengold

• ckronengold's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
ckronengold Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by ckronengold. info_outline
you got the Emotiva to power the atmos speakers? Or to power the T2+? Guessing you're going to run 7.4 and needed some extra power for the additional channels? The Denon 6200 is one of my top choices for a new receiver. Its between that and the Marantz.

Triton Two+ fronts
SuperCenter XXL center
4 Surrounds TBD
4 Atmos TBD
Denon X6200W
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2

I'm unsure about how to best approach a GE setup. The Triton 1 and the Triton 7 are the only speakers that have the same 5 1/4" driver as the SuperCenter. I'm sure the whole line is "voice matched," but in my head, I can't get past the old tradition have having the same drivers across the sound stage. Thats what I have now with my Paradigms.

How does the XXL blend w the T2+?

I don't think I'd step up to the T1, but I'd certainly be open to the idea of going w the T7s and adding a SuperSub if it offered a smoother, more consistent sound stage.

Thanks for your reply!

• TechiMan's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
TechiMan Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Emotiva is powering fronts and center for now, eventually it will power two back surrounds, rest all speakers will be on 6200. I really liked the sound of 6200 but I know it's little overkill with external amp for my purpose.
I don't anything else to compare with but XXL really blend well with t2+ in movie mode
My first home theatre..
Triton Two+ fronts
SuperCenter XXL center
SuperSat 50 Surrounds
4 Atmos TBD
Denon X6200W
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Epson home cinema 2045 projector, moving to 4K near future

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Ckronengold,

Welcome to the forum! Good questions you bring up. I upgraded from Paradigm and never would have considered crossing model lines; however, GET is an entirely different situation. All of the models use very similar drivers. In fact, the HVFR tweeters are used across the line. The Triton 2+ and SCXXL is a great combination. I auditioned them at my local dealer.

I agree with TechiMan, Go big from the start and get the speakers you think sound best. It will cost a lot more to upgrade later if you change your mind. Upgrading from the T2 to the T2+ will cost you $3,500 later...

In either case, I'd definitely go with the T2 over the T7. If you listen to music on your system, you cannot beat the integration and cohesiveness of a powered Triton tower! You may even find that you don't need a subwoofer at all with the T2s. My T1s put out plenty of bass for music and LFE for movies. While I have integrated my old Paradigm sub for movies, it was more about dispersion than anything else. I definitely didn't need any more decibels.

Regarding receivers, take a listen to a few brands and models on the Tritons before you make up your mind. I prefer the sound of Marantz over Denon but Anthem over all that I have demoed. If you're not interested in Atmos, the Emotiva XMC-1 would be at the top of my list. I love their XSP-1 as a 2-channel pre-amp and everyone that has owned both says they sound very similar.

Just a few more opinions from the peanut gallery. Above all, try as many options as possible before you buy and pick the equipment you like best. Other peoples' opinions are a good point of reference but at the end of the day, you're listening with your ears and purchasing with your hard earned dollars.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, ckronengold

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Just my .02… as I’ve stated in another post the GET line and Triton’s in particular are wallet friendly comparatively speaking to the rest of the audio market and overall product value. So regardless of your choice it would be a good one. Personally, I’d opt for the best that the manufacturer has to offer provided you can afford it (without unnecessary financial burden). In the case of the 2 vs 2+ keep in mind the seemingly large difference in price relative to what may be viewed as marginal gain could still be “worth it” for two reasons. One, the 2’s could be (not saying they are) used (defined as unpacked from box) and for any used product there can be a deep discount. The 2+ are likely brand new (still in an unopened box) and like any product that condition itself demands a higher price point. The second factor as I’ve also stated elsewhere is the economic condition of diminishing returns. Like it or not often is the case – not just with GET and speakers but virtually every product in general – that after a certain quality point you pay much more dollars for just a little more gain.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe, ckronengold

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back