file Triton 2 vs 2+:

• ckronengold's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ckronengold Posted 8 years 4 months ago

GDHAL wrote: The second factor as I’ve also stated elsewhere is the economic condition of diminishing returns. Like it or not often is the case – not just with GET and speakers but virtually every product in general – that after a certain quality point you pay much more dollars for just a little more gain.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Thats why I'm considering how best to use an extra $1000 in the overall setup. The law of diminishing returns certainly applies as you move up the line of most products. But if you apply that same $1k elsewhere in the system, you may be able to generate significantly more improvement in the overall sound than if you apply that same $1k to upgrade from the 2 to the 2+.

For example -- I'm on the fence about which receiver / amp to go with. I'm going to be running a 5.1.2 Atmos setup because thats what the room supports. Being able to do that without a separate amp is a nice option. But I could also grab a 7ch Outlaw amp for $1k to power either a more budget friendly receiver or a pre/pro. Lots of options in front of me, and they are all GREAT options.

I'd like the ability to go to 5.1.4 without needing to replace the processing and only needing to add an addition 2ch of power. So I was leaning towards the Marantz 6010 and possibly using that just as the pre/pro, since the Marantz pre/pro with the same features is significantly more money.

Similarly, I could use that $1k and upgrade to the SuperCenterXXL instead of the XL and still have some coin left over for the new TV stand that I need.

But it does seem like most people believe that the 2+ is a definitive, significant improvement over the 2. And that might be the end of the discussion. I'm going to listen to them both this week, as well as some other configurations, and see what makes the most sense for my room and my budget. Heck, the Sevens, SCXL and a sub might be the best option and require less power than the 2+. Who knows.

Fun hobby!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
ckronengold,

The T2+ is a significant improvement to my ear, not saying that the T2 is not a fantastic speaker. Placing value is an individual matter that only you can decide. If you go the passive route, I'd suggest the T5s and SCXXL. Supported by a good sub, this would provide for a great home theater! That's the best part about GET, besides the value. There are so many great options. No matter what constraints your working with, you can build a great sounding system.

Regarding where to invest the money, I think conventional wisdom states you get the most bang for your buck in sound improvements with the speakers. Everything else plays a role as well, but the majority of your sound quality is going to be dependent upon your speakers. It's best to go with the best you can afford and keep them a long time. I really didn't want to spend the amount of money I did for the T1s, but after an audition, I decided it was the best route to go. I haven't regretted my decision for a moment. While they are the single most expensive component in my system, they are the most important.

Please let us know how the audition goes. I'd recommend taking some music you are familiar with and a sound level meter to make sure you are listening at the same volume levels for your comparisons. A few decibels difference between products can be very misleading. Happy hunting.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

T Cobe wrote: ckronengold,

The T2+ is a significant improvement to my ear, not saying that the T2 is not a fantastic speaker.

Regarding where to invest the money, I think conventional wisdom states you get the most bang for your buck in sound improvements with the speakers.... It's best to go with the best you can afford and keep them a long time.

I'd recommend taking some music you are familiar with and a sound level meter to make sure you are listening at the same volume levels for your comparisons.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Agreed across the board here, too. You guys are all so agreeable!

Though I do expect a significant change in tone from the receiver / pre/pro improvements as well. I'm replacing my Paradigm setup that is close to 20 years old. Still sounds great, but they are on stands, and now that our baby is starting to get mobile, upgrading to floor standing towers seems like the "safe" approach, so it was easy to get the wife on board.

When we moved into our house, I needed to move my Onkyo-709 upstairs to power two zones, so the receiver in the theater is a woefully under-powered Pioneer. The change to the warmer sounding Marantz, plus adequate power, should be quite noticeable, even if I was keeping my current speakers.

Already got a USB stick loaded up with some of my favorite HD Audio tracks. Might bring along a few CDs just in case they can't make the 24/192 files work.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are all great!

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Hi, Ckronegold

I think you're on the correct decision path, asking all the right questions, keeping the perspective that it is the whole system you want to build.

All of the GEt speakers you are considering deliver beautiful sound. What counts is what combination of speakers (the soul of a system IMHO) and components works best for YOUR listening pleasure. I don't know a better way to make that decision than to do what you are planning, listen to the combinations you are interested in. The tonal matching across the GEt speakers, regardless of driver size, and regardless of which generation crossover technology, is amazing.

In terms of where to put your budget money, since speakers are the ultimate limiting factor in the sound quality potential of any system, it's worth considering leaning some toward the best speakers (to YOUR ears) your total system budget can allow and if necessary further upgrade other components later.

As you said they are all great options.

Happy listening and good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

lookinging at your equipment, I feel like I'm headed in your direction.

T1 fronts
SuperCenter XXL
T2 surrounds
Marantz SR 7010 AVR
OPPO BDP 105D

I've got an OPPO 103 as my main player. And I'm leaning heavily towards Marantz, since I already have two of their receivers and love their warmth.

Since I'm only going 5.1.2, I can get away with the SR6010, but the sales rep was suggesting (and I know he's a sales rep who always wants you to spend a little more) that the T2s would benefit from more power from the SR7010. But it still would be cheaper to get the 6010 and add an Outlaw 7125 (7-ch x 125w, ACD) than to step up to the 7010. I'm never going 7.1.4 in my current room.

Outlaw also packages their 7125 with the Marantz 7702mkII for $2900, which would give me all the processing and ample power. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Moderator: are there any plans now or in the future for Triton 2 owners to modify/upgrade their T2's, or has the idea been scrapped?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back