exclamation-circle Triton Two Amplification

• dgb100's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
dgb100 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Currently running a Yamaha AS-1000 (90 wch) into Triton Twos, a very, very lovely combination at reasonable listening levels. However when I feel the need to have my skull crushed, the Yammy doesn't quite deliver the goods. Pretty big room, about 15 x 36, carpeted.

Previously had a Nak TA-4 (100 w/ch) which despite its age, did a little better job at high volume.

So what are some recommendations for amps?
Locally there are some used amps.
Bryston 4B
Nakamichi PA-5

Any experience with Emotiva?
Older Yamaha amps?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi dgb100,
You are finding out what a lot of us have found, although the GE speakers are easy to drive in general, and the T 2s are no exception, when you really want to rock and roll, nothing beats power.
Emotiva does make some great amps at reasonable prices I am told. LOTS of people like them and their price. AND the great thing is they will let you listen in your own home with your own speakers and send them back if you don't like them.
IF budget is really tight, then used is a great way to go. I have done that more times than I can mention in my audio quest. Heck, I have bought from pawn shops.
That Bryston you mentioned might be a good one, really I hope you can audition what you want to buy before you lay out the cash. It is your home and your system and your ears that have to be happy.
Please let us know what you decide and how you like it.
Have fun, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, aribraun

• dgb100's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
dgb100 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
The Golden Ear was my first deviation from Klipsch for 20 years, totally different speakers in so many ways. The imaging, timbre (especially vocals) and detail of the GE are superior, but Klipsch really can bring down the house, and a 90 watt amp on those was far more than enough. (99 db vs 91 db sensitivity). A local retailer has Anthem, might try the Anthem 225 watt integrated.

My other choice would be to get a 2nd hand pair of Klipsch Heresys for those time when you just need to rawk.

I tired a pair of Emotiva UPA-200 (I think, 125w monoblocks) and they were far inferior to my Nak Ta-4 receiver with 100 watt. Not sure if their higher end stuff is considerably better.

I'll let you know how it goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

• aribraun's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 54
aribraun Posted 9 years 2 months ago
The Emotiva XPA -2, XPA-3, and XPA-5, (200 Watts of Class A/B Power/Channel) are all great and many of us here like them/own them. They have sale now too through tomorrow for 10% off all Emotiva products.

emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

If you can spend a bit more get 2 of the XPA-1L's (Monoblocks with Class A power for the first 35 watts and then switch to Class A/B if more power is needed, up to 250 watts/channel).

emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-1l

Good luck with the search,
Ari
L/R: Triton 1
C: SuperCenter XXL
FLH/FRH: SuperSat 3
SL/SR: Triton 3+
SBL/SBR: SuperSat 3
Denon AVR 4311CI
Emotiva XPA 5 (Gen 2) for L/C/R/SL/SR
DSPeaker Anti Mode 8033 Sub EQ
Oppo BDP-103D
Samsung UN 55C8000 (2010)
Apple TV 4
Motorola Verizon FiOS Box
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago

dgb100 wrote: The Golden Ear was my first deviation from Klipsch for 20 years, totally different speakers in so many ways. The imaging, timbre (especially vocals) and detail of the GE are superior, but Klipsch really can bring down the house, and a 90 watt amp on those was far more than enough. (99 db vs 91 db sensitivity). A local retailer has Anthem, might try the Anthem 225 watt integrated.

My other choice would be to get a 2nd hand pair of Klipsch Heresys for those time when you just need to rawk.

I tired a pair of Emotiva UPA-200 (I think, 125w monoblocks) and they were far inferior to my Nak Ta-4 receiver with 100 watt. Not sure if their higher end stuff is considerably better.

I'll let you know how it goes.

dgb,

I believe the UPA series of amps by Emotiva were their entry level units and were probably better than a great many receivers but I have no doubts that some higher end units like your Nakamichi and even my Integra may sound better. Of course there are a lot more variables with separates as well.

That said, I have been very impressed with their XPA-5. The dynamics, power, and clarity have all been great. Like the T1s, they are very revealing to system changes and source material. Great recordings sound great. My current set up rivals what I listened to when demoing my T1s and the gear used by my local GET dealers was VERY expensive. There is certainly a point of diminishing returns.

Emotiva recently started showing up at dealers. It may be a good idea to go out and listen to one for yourself first hand before you invest a significant amount of money in a much more expensive used amp, not that there is anything wrong with a used Bryston, Krell, McIntosh or other premium brand. Those amps are built like tanks and will last a LONG time and sound fantastic as well. Good luck and happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, aribraun

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
I have a Yamaha M-80 powering my Triton Twos. I recorded a peak at 109.6dB at the listening position about 9' away with clean music using c-weighted SPL meter. I also have a Sherbourn 5/5210 for the remaining 5 channels, but I haven't yet plugged that into the Tritons to compare that amp with the Yamaha. The Yamaha is rated at 250w into 8 ohms, and th Sherbourn is rated at 200w into 8 ohms, but the Sherbroun can bridge 4 of the 5 channels, resulting in 400w into 8. The 4-ohm rating on each of these, are 330w and 300w (Yamaha and Sherbourn, respectively).

In any case, after upgrading from my Harman Kardon AVR 630 which does 75x5 all channels driven to the Yamaha, I certainly noticed the ability to play louder and cleaner. The only time I heard any distortion from the Tritons with the Yamaha was due to physical noise coming from one of the long throw woofer voice coils bottoming out. However, in my opinion, this was due to a combination of extremely loud music, not using room correction, and having the bass set to 1 o'clock. I could likely move the bass to 12 o'clock and not have this issue.

That said, if you want to really rock out, you would be good to get more power, as the Tritions will rock out with power. Or, as you said, keep a set of Klipsch speakers around. I haven't head Klipsch at high volume, but the sensitivity (not to mention reputation) indicates that these will be loud.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Two Amplification