file New Triton 2 towers

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
I have a Marantz A/V receiver - maybe I can help debug. Here are some things I'd try right off the bat - all of which should be neutral if you haven't run a setup. Otherwise, the manual can help you reset all settings to factory clean.

1. turn off all room correction (Audyssey), EQ, and tone controls
2. set the surround mode to 2 channel stereo
3. set front L/R speakers to large, set all channel levels to zero
4. turn off sub
5. plug in DVD player, CD player, PS3/4, whatever and test out some CDs.
6. plug in iphone via USB cable to the front of the Marantz, select USB from input list, & ensure you're still on 2 channel stereo. Test.
7. connect via bluetooth & check the volume slider on the phone & test. When I play via USB to my portable bluetooth speaker, I turn the volume up all the way on the phone - and then manually adjust the volume on the speaker. Having the volume low on the phone seems to stress the speaker more and burn through batteries quicker. Probably the same with the Marantz.

My specific Marantz A/V receiver advertises 110wpc - and I don't have to crank it at all to get a lot of sound out of my sevens. It stays warm to the touch after hours of playing, never hot.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Trooper's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
The Trooper Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Thanks to everyone for your input - this is getting interesting!!

Moderator, thanks for chiming in - Timecop, that's a very detailed response, will try it out. Are you suggesting that I do not use the Audyssey feature? I've heard only good things about Audyssey. You've indicated that your receiver stays warm to the touch hours after playing - wonder if that's normal with all receivers. Anyway, it's hard to quantify what I mean by HOT and it's subjective as well.

I spoke to the dealer in Oakville (Ontario, Canada) and he very kindly offered to come over this Saturday and check my set up. Really happy about his response and can't wait for him to see if I've screwed up the set-up.

Thanks guys,
The Trooper

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Hello Trooper. So - you identified a problem, that you have to turn up the receiver volume quite far to get reasonable sound levels out of the triton 2's. The most efficient way to troubleshoot these kinds of problems is to remove extraneous variables that may cause, or contribute to the overall issue.

Resetting to factory default, turning off Audyssey, setting levels to zero are all ways of removing settings that may affect what your hearing. E.G., audyssey may set the level of the front L/R to a negative value - resulting in a higher volume setting to get the desired listening level. Having tone controls or EQ set to negative values will again distort what you're hearing, and could cause you to turn the volume attenuator up.

Turing off Audyssey, etc are troubleshooting techniques that can help you isolate the real issue. Once you have identified the root cause & corrected it - you can then turn Audyssey back on, and make all the appropriate settings to your liking.

BTW - yes, most home A/V receivers get warm during use. Heck, my DAC gets warm during use. I'd be concerned if I thought either was hot, but they never get that way. Warm = ok.

Did you check #7, the volume on your phone?
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Trooper

The Trooper Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Hey Timecop.

Yes, I did turn up the volume on my phone when I played music and thanks for your input. I will wait till this Saturday and let the dealer (who I bought the speakers & receiver from) set up my system again. I may even ask him to connect my Martin Logan 10inch Dynamo sub.

I will definitely report back!
The Trooper

The Trooper Posted 10 years 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm back. If you remember, I had two issues, one was with my Marantz SR7008 heating up excessively. This was due to the fact that the Zone 2 and Zone 3 were set to on. I turned them off and viola!

The other issue I had was having to pump up the volume to around 85% to make the speakers really give my metal tracks the "punch" I was looking for. When I spoke to my dealer, after unsuccessfully trying various options, he asked me to check the volume level that the Audyssey setup landed on. It was -8db (the range is -12 to +12). So I increased it all the way to +5db and I achieved the same "punch" at around 65-70% of the volume.

Are there any downsides to raising the volume level like I did?

Thanks,
The Trooper

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 1 month ago
Hey The Trooper,
That is great news that your dealer is giving you good support and advice.
AND that you got the problems sorted out.
Audyssey messes things up a lot and has to be used judiciously.
No, it will not cause any problems for you to have it turned up, NORMAL.
But how does it sound now? Should sound great.
Pls report back more, and thanks for your input.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 2 towers