file How to drive Triton I based HT/2 channel system?

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 10 years 5 months ago
Shaker:
I've had three xpa-1's (first gen.)for a couple of years now. I use them for L/F, Center, R/F. (Triton 2's and Supersat 60C) For the surround channels I'm using a Anthem Statement p-2 (Aon 3's). I use a Anthem Statement d2v (processor) for movies and a Primaluna Premium tube preamp for 2-channel music. Oppo 105 for my source pulls it all together.The xpa-1's have great dynamics and detail in both music and movies. I think you will be very pleased with the second generation of xpa-1's ( especially 60 watts of class A). They have oddles of headroom and don't mind being pushed. I think your Triton 1's will really appreciate these amps and in return they will reward you with majestic sound.

All the best...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shaker's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
Shaker Posted 10 years 5 months ago
Wayne,

Certainly sounds like you've got a terrific system yourself. At least yours is real! Ours is still an idea...

Close to committed to the set up I described last post. As far as the DAC, others seem to think the Oppo will have the better DAC compared to the Marantz as well.

It's been awhile since I had quality equipment, so one of the questions I'm struggling with is source material. For example, what's better to build on moving forward, Apple Lossless files on iTunes, creating another set of files (e.g. FLAC), SACD , etc.

Then how to access those files? Airplay through the Marantz for the iTunes files, hard wire through the Oppo?

Ideally it would be great to have one remote (our Harmony 1100) or the iPad Air be able to remotely control/access files, though I'm not sure that's necessarily possible depending on our set up.

Finally, I know one can get crazy with all this. And at some point there's not only diminishing returns, but also a question of what I can audibly appreciate? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Shaker's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
Shaker Posted 10 years 5 months ago

anthem wrote: Shaker:
I've had three xpa-1's (first gen.)for a couple of years now. I use them for L/F, Center, R/F. (Triton 2's and Supersat 60C) For the surround channels I'm using a Anthem Statement p-2 (Aon 3's). I use a Anthem Statement d2v (processor) for movies and a Primaluna Premium tube preamp for 2-channel music. Oppo 105 for my source pulls it all together.The xpa-1's have great dynamics and detail in both music and movies. I think you will be very pleased with the second generation of xpa-1's ( especially 60 watts of class A). They have oddles of headroom and don't mind being pushed. I think your Triton 1's will really appreciate these amps and in return they will reward you with majestic sound.

All the best...

Anthem,

Sounds like you have a great system.

Really appreciate your perspective. Like I said, I have not heard the Emotivas, but have become very interested in going with them for the reasons I mentioned after doing a lot of research. Don't take this as a criticism, I'm just curious, is a dedicated monoblock necessary for the center channel? Is that for better balance and/or were you having difficulty getting clear dialogue? Curious as I would not have thought of dedicating a monoblock to the center.

Happy to hear you're pleased with the Emotivas and think that the system I'm considering sounds promising. Do you think the XPA-5 is a workable choice for the center/sides/rears?

I assume you like your Oppo 105? If you have any suggestions as far as source material (see previous post) I'd welcome your thoughts.

Finally, would like to hear more about your Primaluna tube pre amp. How did you choose that particular one and how have you connected your system? It sounds like you have two separate systems (2 preamps) both of which are supported by the Emotivas?

I have heard/read much about tubes and would love to listen to a system and do an a/b comparison to truly compare them for myself. Don't know anyone local with tubes so hard to know how to look into that, though part of me doesn't want to know so I can avoid the threat to my wallet. Very curious though...

Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Shaker:
In regards to having a monoblock as a center channel, simply put, at that particular time Emotiva was running a sale. I like the ability to control each of the front three channels indepentantly... if I don't need one I can just shut off the amp.

The xpa-5 is a very workable choice for center/sides/rears...would be a fine amp for those speakers. Two xpa-1's (gen 2) for FL & FR, and a xpa-5 (gen 2) for the center/sides and rears...awesome system. Maybe later you could add a couple of Forcefield 5 subs...wow!

I had originally wanted a Mystere tube preamp but didn't like the fact that it had no remote controll. No one in the state had one to audition so I called Upscale Audio in California, I told them my situation and they felt the Primaluna Premium Preamp with remote and HT bypass would fit my needs. They also offered a 30 day send it back if you don't like it (15% restocking fee). I bought it!!

As of lately my interest is in 2-channel music (seems too consume me) so I'm just running the Primaluna to the xpa-1 via RCA. Portions of the HT aren't hooked up, although would only take a few minutes if I want to watch a movie. Thinking about "Twelve Years a Slave" as per Wayne's suggestion. I heard my first tube amp a couple of weeks ago at a customers house and was most impressed with how neutral the sound was...now my thoughts are on tube amps. Emotiva, supposedly, will showcase some tube gear in 4-6 months, so I'll be patient and wait (good luck to me) :laugh:

If you are worried about this hobby being a threat to your wallet...I'd walk away now. ;)

Good luck with your addiction.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 5 months ago

anthem wrote: Hey Shaker:
In regards to having a monoblock as a center channel, simply put, at that particular time Emotiva was running a sale. I like the ability to control each of the front three channels indepentantly... if I don't need one I can just shut off the amp.

...now my thoughts are on tube amps. Emotiva, supposedly, will showcase some tube gear in 4-6 months, so I'll be patient and wait (good luck to me) :laugh:

If you are worried about this hobby being a threat to your wallet...I'd walk away now. ;)

Good luck with your addiction.

WOW Bro Anthem, what great responses to Shaker there!!!!
I am sorry dude, you MAY be the sane brother after all!!!!
I am not sure I did the quote thing right, but I wanted to highlight a coupla things you said.
I too use a mono for the Center channel, and I agree it gives me better control and flexibility. I keep worrying about not getting the voicing right on the Center (and I know you recommend me to go with a GE there, I am working on getting a SuperCenter X here to Thailand to try it out, coming soon I think) to that it is seamless across the front.
Tube amps MAY or may not be what you guys are looking for. Anthem and Shaker, a tube pre is sometimes the best way to get tube sound and still get the bass and control you need for powerful sound. IF it is just for 2 channel and not that loud (not powerful classics or rock) then tubes all around are the best IMHO.
But the BEST thing you said Anthem is about walking away now. Ha ha, Shaker is not gonna walk away.
Enjoy guys, I know you both will!!!!
God Bless and Happy Easter,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Shaker

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Wayne (my dear brother) could you do bro. Anthem a favour and go to the primaluna-usa.com website and look at the prologue six monoblock amps. Would these have the power to drive the Triton 2's in the 85-95 decibel range without being stressed? I've heard it said that it doesn't take a lot of tube watts to reach satisfying volume levels. These are some of the amps that I'm considering. I also like the ability of mixing tubes. Let me know what you think.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers How to drive Triton I based HT/2 channel system?