file How to drive Triton I based HT/2 channel system?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 5 months ago
WOW Brother Anthem, OHHHH, YEAH!!!!!!
Those amps are beauties, actually incredible looking.
That is PLENTY of power for the T2s to play louder than that.
I see as well that you can not only roll the tubes, but that they auto bias for other tubes.
The EL34s will probably suit your kind of music VERY well and tame your problem with sax music. The are fluid and smooth, just like you like. The KT88s play with a bit more power and crispness, can I say bite? I chose the 88s over the 34s for my style. But you can try them all with those amps.
Just two quick points and I am heading to bed bro.
I think you like tight bass, so be sure the amps are sending tight bass to the Tritons, I cannot tell you why it is, but they just amplify whatever is sent to them FAITHFULLY. They just make it louder. So flabby bass (to me the EL34s excel on midrange and imaging, but sometimes the bass is not that controlled, to me anyway) will just be powerful, louder flabby bass. I hope that made sense?
Also, you will have to place the amps someplace protected from the sideways firing bass of the Tritons. Being mono amps, it would look great, be wonderful to have them right there by the speakers, short speaker wire runs. BUT the Triton 2 subs will shake and rattle the tubes and introduce ringing which will distort the sound if you are not careful. Can you put them in a cabinet or protect them from side on sound?
I think you should definitely go for it bro!!!!
And tell us how it turns out. I have suggestions for you on the tubes IF you do.
Those amps might be just the piece of the puzzle you were looking for.
Blessings, prayers and great wishes buddy,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shaker's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
Shaker Posted 10 years 5 months ago

anthem wrote: Hey Shaker:
In regards to having a monoblock as a center channel, simply put, at that particular time Emotiva was running a sale. I like the ability to control each of the front three channels indepentantly... if I don't need one I can just shut off the amp.

The xpa-5 is a very workable choice for center/sides/rears...would be a fine amp for those speakers. Two xpa-1's (gen 2) for FL & FR, and a xpa-5 (gen 2) for the center/sides and rears...awesome system. Maybe later you could add a couple of Forcefield 5 subs...wow!

I had originally wanted a Mystere tube preamp but didn't like the fact that it had no remote controll. No one in the state had one to audition so I called Upscale Audio in California, I told them my situation and they felt the Primaluna Premium Preamp with remote and HT bypass would fit my needs. They also offered a 30 day send it back if you don't like it (15% restocking fee). I bought it!!

As of lately my interest is in 2-channel music (seems too consume me) so I'm just running the Primaluna to the xpa-1 via RCA. Portions of the HT aren't hooked up, although would only take a few minutes if I want to watch a movie. Thinking about "Twelve Years a Slave" as per Wayne's suggestion. I heard my first tube amp a couple of weeks ago at a customers house and was most impressed with how neutral the sound was...now my thoughts are on tube amps. Emotiva, supposedly, will showcase some tube gear in 4-6 months, so I'll be patient and wait (good luck to me) :laugh:

If you are worried about this hobby being a threat to your wallet...I'd walk away now. ;)

Good luck with your addiction.

Thanks, Anthem. Glad you think the Emotivas will work well. You mentioned the sale, I heard they periodically have sales -- are they seasonal/regular or random? Would love to save a little cash while making this leap.

Are you in the business (you mentioned being in a customer's house)? Please share more of your thoughts on the tubes when you can. Curious to hear more. Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Hey Shaker:
Don't hold me to this, but if I remember right their first sale is usually in July and another follows in October. They may do something around Memorial Day...keep your eyes open.

As far as tube equipment goes...I'm still a newbie. The person you need to direct your questions to is Wayne. He's as old as Methuselah (969) and intellectually speaking (well, let's not go there) I think he's much more qualified to answer your questions. He was using McIntosh tube gear when I was a babe in diapers ;) as you can see in this thread I'm the one asking his advice.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Shaker

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Hi Guys,
Bro Anthem is giving me too much credit, I don't know that much.
And he probably remembers more than I do, cause he is so young and led a healthy lifestyle, he has been easier on his brain cells than I have.
Shaker, Bro Anthem is not "in the business" but if he runs into anybody with a good stereo he stalks them hangs around, they pretty much have to kick him outta their house to get him to leave. That is because they don't know what I know, just play some Pink Floyd or sad, blues music, and he will leave just like that.
Ha ha
Just messing with my good buddy.
Seriously, if you guys need some info on actual tube types, audioasylum has a spot called Joe's tube lore, which I find informative.
www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/f...oes-tubes.html#12AX7
And the people at TC Tubes have always been kind and helpful to me. tctubes.com/
I am not plugging anybody, just mentioning places I have learned things.
I hope we can help each other on this FUN road to perfect sound.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Shaker

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Emotiva also has a "Secret Sale" every once in a while. This is how they sell their refurbished and demo stuff. It still comes with the full warranty. Emotiva announces the Secret Sale on their community board.
Also, as Anthem mentioned Emotive will soon be selling tube equipment. Emotiva purchased Bob Carver company last year.
There is a great tube thread on the Emotiva board
emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/31192/tube-equipment-sound

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Thanks Bro MOBrien,
Emotiva bought Bob Carver???
WOW, I did not know that!!!!
Get outta town!!!!!
Thanks for that link Bro MO
I am there.
I REALLY APPRECIATE you guys and this forum, thanks!!!!!
God Bless you all, always,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: MOBrien

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers How to drive Triton I based HT/2 channel system?