file Are the Sevens Really Better than Two and Three's?

• Mitch's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Mitch Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Question for Moderator regarding your comment to wweis post "Are the Triton Twos Outdated? located in the Support-->Triton Series forum. His question was based on the Chris Martens Absolute Sound/HiFi+ review of the Sevens.

You replied to wweis with:
"Also, when comparing the Triton Seven with the Triton Two and Three, since it has less bass extension and dynamics than the powered-bass Triton Two and Three, the midrange is psychoacoustically more prominent, so subjectively may seem to have greater detail. "

Is your comment based on actual measurement or speculation?

Having recently purchased Triton 3's I was upset to read Chris Martens Absolute Sound - Hi-Fi+ review of the Sevens where he said:
"Namely, the Triton Sevens wound up sounding different from and better than their bigger siblings in many of the ways likely to matter most to audiophiles. Let’s get this straight: The Triton Sevens are smaller, less complex, and less expensive than their stablemates, yet actually sound all the better for it."

I ask not out of disrespect but after reading that review I wonder if I made a mistake buying my Threes and should have instead bought the Sevens and a subwoofer for a sound "better then their bigger siblings" system.

I'm sure GoldenEar is thrilled to get such a glowing review for the Sevens but I would think a company concern of this review would be sales of the Seven cannibalizing sales of the Triton 2 and 3's. Why spend $3,000 or $2,000 when a "sound all the better" system can be had for less even if adding a Forcefield subwoofer or two?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago

You replied to wweis with:
"Also, when comparing the Triton Seven with the Triton Two and Three, since it has less bass extension and dynamics than the powered-bass Triton Two and Three, the midrange is psychoacoustically more prominent, so subjectively may seem to have greater detail."

Is your comment based on actual measurement or speculation?

Neither, it is a fact.

Mitch, no, you've got it wrong. You want to buy Aons 2's and a subwoofer, because that's what Stereophile says is our best speaker. :)

I'll spell it out:

1) The Triton Two is our best speaker - especially in a big room and/or with high volumes. No question;
2) The Triton Three is a lot like a Two, just a tiny bit less;
3) The Triton Seven is really nice, in a modest room at reasonable volumes (add a PAIR of powered subs, dialed in really well, which will never be as good as on the Triton Twos, and we can talk about "better". Maybe.)
4) Aon 2's ... see #3, above. Maybe, if your room is kinda' small;
5) Add a ForceField 5 or Two to a pair of Triton Twos - now we're talking!!

Yes, we're thrilled about and proud of the Triton Seven reviews, and the Aon reviews, and the 3D Array reviews. All of our speakers are very good for their application/type/category/cost. Each review seems better than the rest. Don't read-in, enjoy the music. I'm sure your Triton Threes sound GREAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
SanthoshEapen Posted 10 years 9 months ago
I have to disagree with the moderator. I am sorry, but I have a Triton seven, and I have held my tongue many times when it is said that the Triton two are much better - not anymore. Remember, I have listened to the Triton twos and they are NOT better than my sevens. I far and away prefer my sevens. This may be because I DO NOT like too much bass in my music. The sevens are more precise and the instruments are a lot clearer and more defined in the soundstage than the twos. However, the sevens are no slouch in the bass department - there is good bass in just the right amount, and it is not overpowering.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Personally I don't want another pair of floor standing loudspeakers, I have six pair in the house now. Santhosh, don't make me buy a pair of 7's...I want an Oppo 105 for Christmas.... I've been good. :laugh:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SanthoshEapen

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Its great that you prefer the Triton Sevens, but that just means they're best for you. In your room, with your music, at your listening levels. You'd have a very tough time convincing someone in a 38' x 27' room, that likes to listen to rock at 105dB averages, that a Triton Seven is better than a Triton Two. On the other hand, the person in the 18' x 14' room that listens to smooth jazz LPs at a 90dB average will be hard to convince the Triton Twos are worth twice the price.

To all: Opinions are great and very much encouraged and appreciated on this forum, but do not confuse those with facts (so that others reading the posts do not either). Opinions are best expressed with prefaces like: "to me...", and, "in my room and on my equipment...", and, "for the music I listen to ...". As moderator and company spokesman, I do not give my opinions regarding the performance of our products (everything else, you bet), just facts. This hopefully should keep confusion between facts and opinions to a minimum.

• Mitch's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
Mitch Posted 10 years 9 months ago
First off, thank you for your quick response. Clearly all of the Triton speakers are excellent.

I realize speakers are subjective and so opinions will vary. Having just bought my Tritons it is understandable to be curious as to the results expressed in the Absolute Sound review. As I don’t have a pair of Sevens to review against my Threes in my listening room I posed the question expressed in my subject line “Are the Sevens Really Better than Two and Three’s?” to those who may have listened to all the Tritons – hopefully not just in a dealer showroom.

I didn’t get anything wrong regarding the Stereophile review of the Aon 2 loudspeaker published 11/1/13 by Robert J. Reina. There was NO comparison of the Aons to any other GoldenEar speaker. That Stereophile review does not say the Aons are GoldenEars best speaker. On the other hand – Chris Martens 11/26/13 Absolute Sound review of the Triton Sevens does directly compare the Triton family of speakers and he wrote: “Namely, the Triton Sevens wound up sounding different from and better than their bigger siblings in many of the ways likely to matter most to audiophiles.” This statement (Martens opinion) certainly got my attention and I would think the attention of any prospective or current Triton owner.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Are the Sevens Really Better than Two and Three's?