file Are the Sevens Really Better than Two and Three's?

• Sloppy's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 21
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Sloppy Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Great information.

I have to agree with the moderator with his comments about everyones' music preferences and listening environment has a major impact on what speakers they prefer.

I own a pair of AON 3's. When it comes time for me to move the AON's to the back for surrounds I will be looking at two options.

1) triton 2's
2) triton 7's and a FF5

at this point I have no idea which combination I will prefer but I cant wait to compare!!

I find reviews are a great resource, and help narrow down the enormous selection of audio/video equipment out there, but i don't let a review make my decision for me, the final decision is up to my own ears and eyes. just my opinion.

Hope everyone has a great day!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Sloppy, right on.

Mitch, I can't believe you didn't get the tongue-in-cheek nature of my comments about the Stereophile review. I thought for sure the smiley face emoticon would have insured you would. Ha, guess I should forget about that comedy writing career I was dreaming of...

In regards to Chris' statements, they are exactly as I said - for him, in his room, and for his listening tastes. If yours are the same, then that's the better speaker for you. I can tell you that what "matters most to audiophiles", to quote Chris, does not include 99% of the potential Triton owners out there. You might find it interesting that the introduction of the Triton Seven has brought about a significant increase in Triton Three sales. BTW, as far as I know Chris did not have Triton Twos on hand to make direct comparisons, so he was relying on memory from his review of the Two almost three years earlier.

FWIW, I use a BIG amp in a good size room with Triton Twos. I played with Triton Sevens in the same system. When they were pushed to the levels I listen to music at (when I'm listening, not just having background music on) the Triton Sevens bass turns to mush and the midrange suffers from serious IM, while the Triton Twos are happily singing along with plenty of headroom and dynamics left (and no midrange compression). Yes, at more modest levels (in my room), the Sevens sounded glorious - but not "better" than the Triton Twos. Actually, amazingly similar though within their limits, which is what makes the Seven such a spectacular deal. And the perfect choice for many (but certainly not all).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Dave's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
Dave Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Well here is my take. I own the Triton 2's and have had the 7's since they came out. My room 21 L X 14w X 9 h and it's treated, bass traps, carpet, heavy drapes. Listing distance: 12ft. speakers set 8' apart and 2ft from the back wall. I used my ATI 2002 amp (200 watts per chl) my Denon 4311 as a pre, OPPO 105 as a source. Playing smooth jazz, classic rock, blues The Triton 2's clean and detailed mids and highs but with a boomy bass, BUT ! Using the 7's same set up but with 2 Rythmik D15se subs , mid's and highs very detailed like the 2's, dynamic performance and bass spot on. Without the subs, the Trition 2 has the upper hand. Both nice speakers for the price.
Denon 4311, OPPO 205, Lumin D2 Network Streamer, Sony 65" OLED, GE Triton 2, GE Super Sat 50/50, GE Super Sat 3C, All cables Blue Jean.

Thanks for the input on this popular topic. Sounds like you have the bass turned up too much, use the control on the back to dial it down to an appropriate level. Also, a 12' listening distance would suggest the speakers be 12' apart for best results.

• Dave's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
Dave Posted 10 years 9 months ago
The T'2 have the dials set at the 9:45 position
Denon 4311, OPPO 205, Lumin D2 Network Streamer, Sony 65" OLED, GE Triton 2, GE Super Sat 50/50, GE Super Sat 3C, All cables Blue Jean.

Somewhat relative for a number of reason, but I would suggest you turn them down further until the bass balance is correct. Turn them down until they sound slightly lean, and then notch them up just a tiny bit.

Somewhat related, after the first Triton Two production runs we adjusted the gain on the input panel because we found many setups had the volume setting so low that there was little range left in the control. (Some setups even had the volume turned all the way down for best results in their room.) In subsequent production we reduced the gain so that a more normal setting was "noon-ish", rather than 9. Bottom line, don't hesitate to turn them down until the balance sounds correct to you (in your room, in your setup).

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Are the Sevens Really Better than Two and Three's?