file New Triton Ones!!!

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Would be curious (because I too am considering room treatments endeavor) to know.. so by all means do share....

(a) what brand of panels
(b) what model(s) panel(s)
(c) in the case of corner traps, are you using full length floor to ceiling? if no, then what percentage?
(d) how did you determine where the reflection points from Triton side passive radiators are? (by eye straight line to wall or something else)
(e) how did you affix the panels to the walls?

Thanks. Happy to read/understand panels has made a significant improvement.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, warriorant85

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• warriorant85's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 49
warriorant85 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Hi Jcbudny,

Thanks for your input! It's encouraging to hear from someone who has personal experience with these room treatments and found they really made a difference! I will probably try some over the next several months and report back!

Thx,

Mark
Speakers: Triton 1s L/R, SCXXL, Triton 5s side, Monitor Audio 3is rear, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub
Pre/Pro: Nuforce MCP-18, Onkyo PR-SC5507
Amps: Odyssey Stratos Extreme monoblocks L/R, Outlaw Audio 7700
Sources: Oppo BDP-105D, Music Hall 5.0 w/Goldring 1012GX, SB Touch
Display: Epson 5010 UB, SI 106"
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• jcbudny's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 61
jcbudny Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by jcbudny. info_outline

GDHAL wrote: Would be curious (because I too am considering room treatments endeavor) to know.. so by all means do share....

(a) what brand of panels
(b) what model(s) panel(s)
(c) in the case of corner traps, are you using full length floor to ceiling? if no, then what percentage?
(d) how did you determine where the reflection points from Triton side passive radiators are? (by eye straight line to wall or something else)
(e) how did you affix the panels to the walls?

GDHAL,

I went with Acoustical Solutions for my panels. I received "quotes" from three local AV dealers and found that I could stretch my dollar a lot further buying direct. I also looked at GIK, however their panels were too thick at 4" for my tastes.

I am using 5 of their AlphaSorb panels, each panel is 5' x 4' and 2" thick.

Acoustical Solutions AlphaSorb

I am using floor to ceiling bass traps in the front two corners and my one back corner (other side is open to a stairwell) I was only able to cover 4'. Acoustical Solutions sells their bass traps in a box of 8 2' sections or 4 4' sections. I didn't want to buy another box just to cover that last 2' in the back corner.

I used a mirror (and my wife) to find the first reflection points for the front three speakers (L/C/R) while sitting in the main listening position. I did not "worry" about the side radiators so much as the panels are geared more towards higher frequencies. The bass traps in the corners handle the lower frequencies.

The panels are attached with rotofast anchors (see Acoustical Solutions webpage) which made installation a cinch. It also means the panels can be safely removed from the wall should I ever move and want to bring them with (or want to move the panels around). The default installation method calls for water based panel glue which would make the installation permanent. The bass traps are installed with heavy duty velcro (hot glued to the bass trap), they also can be installed with panel glue if you want a permanent installation.

Feel free to pm me if you have further questions.

7.2.4: Triton Ref Towers (L/R), SuperCenter XXL (C), SuperSat 3's (Surr), Triton 5 Towers (R Surr) & Invisa HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Amp: Outlaw Audio 7700 & Emotiva Gen 3 (Ceiling)
Display: Epson 5040UB + Screen Innovations Series 7 Zero Edge Black Diamond 110"
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, warriorant85

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you for the detailed response jcbudny. You've given me something to wrap my head around. Nice photos (and setup/gear) on your part too I might add. I'm including a photo of my setup taken for a samsung convey phone (I don't have a smart phone, only a dumb one). ;)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcbudny, T Cobe, warriorant85

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Great post, Jcbudny, and what a great room! Thanks for sharing your pictures and inspiring us to loftier heights! I responded separately to your other post.

I went with GIK Acoustics for my room. I sent them pictures of my setup and they sent back a plan to treat my room. The process wasn't quite as smooth as I had hoped but my end results were decent and I stayed on budget at around $1,500. I also treated my basement ceiling on my own for far less.

My front wall is about 16 feet across. To the left and right of my 110" Sable screen, I have the Evolution PolyFusor Diffusor/Absorber. I started with broad band treatments but didn't like the results as much for music. These provided a better blend of diffusion and absorption. In the two front corners from floor to ceiling, I have the Tri-Trap Corner Bass Traps. I went with two standard sizes and added two custom length bass traps to go the rest of the way to my ceilings. My T1s are about 12 feet apart and 12 feet from my PLP to provide an approximate equilateral triangle. The front edge center of my T1s are 4 feet from the front and side walls.

My side walls are treated with 3 sets of the 244 Bass Traps for full range treatment. They provide very good treatment of my primary reflection points for stereo music regardless of which seat is occupied in my theater/listening room. They also do a good job preventing a lot of other reflections for theater use.

The back of my room is not treated as it goes back quite a ways: approximately 30 feet. There is a fair amount of furniture and carpeting, along with a full ceiling treatment of Roxul Safe n' Sound insulation and an acoustically transparent felt. The resulting sound is very detailed and precise. The imaging is spot on and the tonality of the bass is fantastic!

I sometimes feel I may actually have overtreated my room as it can sometimes lack a bit of air and space with home theater use. I think I will eventually do something different with the ceiling as it may be robbing me of too much bass energy. Additionally, I originally set out to treat the suck out I was experiencing for music and theater at frequencies between 100 and 400 Hz which varied depending on speaker placement. Despite all the treatments, these issues remain. I guess that's why I feel that room treatments are a bit of a mixed bag. I think they definitely improve sound but to get that last bit of performance and value out of them, consulting with a professional at home would probably be better. Just my .02.

GDHAL, I can easily see that room treatments would make a big difference in your room. I would absolutely go for it! A few front corner bass traps and some treatments for your primary reflection points on your left and right walls would be a great place to start. You may want something on the wall behind your PLP as well. Your room would likely be a little more straight forward to treat than mine. I would definitely recommend GIK Acoustics for you. They can take your layout and budget and set you up nicely.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: warriorant85

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe, I'm inclined to agree! I've attached the same photo of my setup where I've drawn (rough sketch) some yellow rectangles in the areas I have considered. I imagine this is what you're referring to.

I did mention this is in other thread related to this one... One thing that has always puzzled me with acoustic panels and/or "room treatments" is how to definitively know if an "improvement" is truly realized as opposed to merely a "perceived change". How does one objectively know whether the perceived sound change(s) after the room treatment should or should not be welcomed? I'm looking for an objective way to know as opposed the subjective "it sounds better".
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, warriorant85

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back